“Fabulous hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 367 Hotels in Vienna
Atlanta, Georgia
“Fabulous hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2011

We stayed at the Imperial for four days following a bike trip through the Czech Republic and Austria. I just can't say enough good things about our visit there. All three couples were upgraded to suites, and they were beautiful - all recenty renovated with great bathrooms and comfortable beds. The best part about the hotel was the service - everyone was cheerful, helpful and went out of their way to make our stay memorable.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jennifer H
klauchr, General Manager at Hotel Imperial Vienna, responded to this review, 9 December 2011
Dear “kandjh”,

Thank you very much for going online to share your compliments about the services and facilities of our hotel with other travellers. Your kind comments were most appreciated by all our colleagues and will further inspire them to focus their energy on the personalized service we would like to be known for.

I hope that my team and I will have an opportunity to welcome you and your partner once again back to Hotel Imperial in the not too distant future. There are still many amazing bike journeys to be enjoyed in central Europe!

In the meantime, let me wish you and your family a most joyous holiday season and great start to 2012. Best regards from Vienna to Atlanta, Georgia,
Klaus

Klaus Christandl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Oslo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2011

I was here during the EAGE convention and stayed at the 1 first floor.
This hotel has a lot of charm and the interior is very art deco and if like that you will love this place. The chandelier's, art, drapes ++ gives it a very unique look and feel.
Staff is highly professional and know how to threat tired guest after a long days work.
Bathroom was spotless with Bvlagri products and they use B&O TV systems.

The wifi is way to expensive for 2011, but they wavered the fee.
Good breakfast, nice little bar and overall a very good stay.

I would come back any time.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Hemsedal
Dear “Hemsedal”,

Thank you for sharing your stay experience at our hotel online. Your compliments about our services and facilities were and continue to be most appreciated. We are aware that especially for business travellers, stable high speed internet connections at reasonable rates are essential and hence we do provide multiple options including free internet services at our centrally located business centre.

I hope that my team and I will have an opportunity to welcome you once again back to Hotel Imperial either for business or this time for leisure in the not too distant future.

In the meantime, let me wish you and your family a most joyous holiday season and great start to 2012. Best regards from Vienna to Oslo,
Klaus

Klaus Christandl
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2011

I have stayed at this hotel many, many times. It is one of my favorite hotels in the world. Small and so incredibly elegant. The rooms are stunning and comfortable. The marble floors in the bathroom heat up, which is wonderful for those cold mornings! Will always say that they have the best roast beef sandwich in the world in their cafe. The concierge staff is probably the best of anyplace in the world I have been to. Absolutely love coming home here!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank WIsil
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2011

This is a wonderful hotel with ambience and a real sense of history. The location is perfect. It is close to a subway, close to the centre (10 mins walk approx), and walking distance to the best concert halls.

The rooms are truly amazing. We were graciously upgraded to a junior suit. Nice antique furniture, classic art work, chandeliers, ceilings that have to close to 20 feet high. Certainly the biggest and tallest hotel room doors I have ever seen.

The hotel staff were professional and quick to help. A little dry, but I think that is normal for Austrians? :-) The bell boy was extremely helpful and knew all the history of the hotel. Was very interesting to hear about the many intellectual giants that frequented the hotel and cafe in the last hundred years of so.

Certainly the hotel I will return to the next time I am in Vienna.

Vienna tip: The Stephensdom Church is awesome. Make sure you do both the spiral climb and the catacomb tour. Trust me, you will not forget it. No real reason to buy concert tickets ahead of time. There are hawkers / ticket agents the hand around the State Theatre. You can get great tickets at a fraction of the normal ticket cost as they try to fill the house each night.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gdundan
Paris
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2011

Hotel Imperial is grand, elegant, supremely well-maintained and a true 5-star hotel. The rooms are spacious, very beautifully decorated, extremely comfortable, and in December, become a welcoming cocoon after strolling the streets in foggy damp weather. The enormous marble bathroom is exquisite, with heated floors, vast space and wonderful towels. The toiletries are of a lesser quality, and disappoint.
Lighting is discrete and romantic; bed linens are sumptuous.
Room service meals (breakfast and dinner) were no less than gorgeous, supremely delicious, and worth a visit to the hotel, just on their own. The Imperial Torte cannot be missed.
It is across from the Opera, minutes by foot from the Hofburg Palace and Museum Quarter. All in all, a truly beautiful, unique and historically elegant haven, very close to bustling historical Vienna, shops, Mozart concerts and wonderful museums and restaurants.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
      Location
      Rooms
3 Thank IleStLouis
South West England, United Kingdom
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 2,095 helpful votes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2011

Perfect location on the Ring Road with superb access to central Vienna and all the main sites. The hotel was smaller than I thought it would be and the reception and lobby seemed in need of sprucing up.
Rooms were elegant with excellent bathrooms, functional and cosy. Breakfast was first class.

Room Tip: Poor views at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank AvidTraveler12
Seoul, South Korea
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2011

I stayed at the Hotel Imperial, Vienna during the 1st weekend of June and had a great stay in terms of location, the interiors of the hotel, and the Imperial torte at the café but a very poor stay in terms of service levels. I would probably return to this hotel maybe once more to “test it out” but for now I am sceptical of the value of $$ paid at this hotel. Just for the record, I am a frequent traveller and mostly stay in 5* hotels.

Firstly, the architecture and the interior of the hotel are impressive. It is very old world with fine details and oil paintings all around. Reviews from others in this thread have done a great job describing the interiors. Heads of states and presidents stay here often and once you walk into the hotel lobby you will understand why. The rooms are equally immaculate with chandeliers and marble bathrooms. There are a few rooms that are evidently poorer – these are the rooms made from the old servants quarters – try to avoid these by booking a rate that is a step higher than the lowest rate.

The restaurant is great – the chef that used to head restaurant Korso at the Bristol is the new head chef there – with great large portions! The foods are evidently expensive but nothing out of the ordinary given it is part of a luxurious hotel. I would highly recommend them. Speaking of food, you cannot skip the Imperial Torte. Words cannot do them justice – make sure you get yourself one during your stay!

The location is also great, though not as perfect as, say, the Sofitel. It is 1 minute away from the Musikverein and very close to the U-bahn and the tram stops. There are plenty cafes nearby for great Viennese breakfasts. There is no swimming pool, but the gym is well equipped with an attached sauna, available 24 hours a day.

The service levels, on the other hand, are mediocre at best. The staffs seem to be efficient in what they do but in large part are quite stiff. They do their jobs but do not go beyond what is expected, as in they do not ‘anticipate’ needs as it is usually expected from hotels of this category. You will receive no greetings from the staff walking about, and most will appear busy all the time. I have not had a single person smile at me during my whole stay. The worst of the pack would be the bellman who stands around not making eye contact with anybody throughout my whole stay. The concierge, however well-connected they may be, are also indifferent in their service. At hotels of this level I would expect them to at least look up and smile if they sense someone approaching them. Instead, I had to approach the desk, do an ‘ahem’ to get their attention, and once I made my request known, had the concierge give me the information in a very ‘efficient’ but ‘cold’ way. Maybe I was disturbing him from other things that are much more important?

This really dampens your stay in this beautiful hotel, as your attention is taken away from the luxurious surroundings to thinking about the impolite/indifferent gestures made by the staff you interact with. This sub-par level of service was especially disappointing given that I had just come from The Ring where we were made to feel like valued guests. So if you are planning a stay here, set your expectations right with regards to service levels and focus on the great building you get to stay in. If service is important to you, stay somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank jaejaez
klauchr, Manager at Hotel Imperial Vienna, responded to this review, 10 June 2011
Dear “jaejaez“,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel during your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor and allow me to introduce myself as the new General Manager at Hotel Imperial in Vienna.

It was most disappointing for me to learn about your experience at our hotel, especially as upon further investigation with my team members on duty during these days, no indication had been noted about the lack of service and the perceived indifference of several colleagues that you highlight in your comments. I have also personally reviewed all available correspondence and could not retrieve any reference to your observations posted online. Rest assured that the lack of service focus and customer attention you described is in no way a reflection of the high standards this property stands for. From my own extensive observations over the past few weeks, I can also assure you that the service interactions described by you are not indicative of the general standards visible around the hotel.

Although I quite clearly cannot bear witness of what has transpired in the period before my arrival in Vienna, rest assured that no efforts will be spared to bring any inconsistency in service delivery back in line and provide all our valued customers with a uniquely memorable experience here at Hotel Imperial that is commensurate to our history and status. Please accept my personal and sincere apologies for any lack of attention you may have suffered during your honeymoon trip at our hotel.

In summary, we clearly have a lot of areas and space to improve our services and product and I can assure you once again of our sincerity to address these points. I would greatly appreciate if you were to channel your next reservation through my office to enable me to handle the arrangements personally.

It is unfortunate that we had to get to know each other in this way and I am confident that we will be able to regain your trust once again in the future.

If there is anything else I can do for you, your family or colleague, please do not hesitate in contacting me directly.

With sunny greetings from the music and culture capital of Europe,

KLAUS