“Opulent, amazing, expensive”

Ranked #16 of 360 Hotels in Vienna
London, United Kingdom
“Opulent, amazing, expensive”
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

There is marble everywhere, huge, beautiful chandeliers, intricate detail in decoration, exquisite service and very comfortable beds - very good indeed! Our junior suite was well equipped, large and very comfortable.

It is also very, very expensive. The included wifi is too slow to play a basic Youtube video, and a faster version costs €20 per day. The breakfast buffet is nice but not extraordinary, yet costs an eye-watering €41 per person, also for children.

The location is very good, with easy access to all of Vienna's attractions.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank amertner
klauchr, General Manager at Hotel Imperial Vienna, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear “amertner” and family,
Thank you very much for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to write down your feedback. I was very pleased to read your feedback about our rooms and our high service achievements. Allow me to clarify that our Champagne breakfast buffet is free for children up to the age of 3 years and from 3 to 12 years children (and their parents) enjoy a 50% discount. I am also happy to share with you that we are in the final stages of an additional upgrade of the bandwidth for both our free of charge service, as well as the high speed service for WIFI connections. This upgrade will be implemented in the month of March 2014.
Wishing you a sunny March ahead and it would be a pleasure for us to welcoming you soon again.
Best regards from the Austrian to the British capital,
Klaus Christandl,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I stayed in the imperial for 2 two nights for a performance/business trip. My bags where in my room when after I checked in. The room was spacious with excellent toiletries and bathroom facility. Fresh plums placed in my room daily with room cleaning. Extremely comfortable bed and very quiet hotel (despite being in the middle of downtown). Very relaxing, top notch service and very attentive staff. I highly recommend.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Theodorian
Dear „Theodorian“,
Let me take this opportunity to thank you for your recent stay with us and for sharing your feedback about the Hotel Imperial Vienna with the online community. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit to our beautiful city and that your experience does credit to the renowned Imperial Service.
We would be delighted to welcoming you soon again at our newly revitalized historical icon.
Imperial greetings from Vienna to New York City,
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Starwood has its "Luxury Collection". A lot of its hotels aspire to that: this is the real deal. I've spent 900-odd nights in Starwood hotels in the past decade, and none has matched this (including their two other excellent 5* hotels in Vienna).

Truly stunning public areas. An incredible suite, as tasteful as you could imagine. The best buffet breakfast; stunning cooking for dinner in 'Opus' and a gorgeous lounge for drinks. Plus jaw-droppingly good service that astounded us several times.

Some grand hotels rest on their reputations. This truly earns its.

• Stayed February 2014
Dear “JCW”,
First of all I want to thank you for your recent stay at the Hotel Imperial Vienna and for sharing your thoughts with us and the TripAdvisor community. It was rewarding to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you experienced the renowned Imperial service culture. The first phase of a complete revitalization of all ourpublic areas had been completed two months ago and we are especially delighted to read your favorable impressions about the restored spaces.
It would be an honor for us to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
Spring time greetings from Vienna,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Stayed here for two nights with the family in a suite. This is the most beautiful hotel room I have ever stayed in. The suite was incredibly comfortable, beautifully decorated with huge windows looking out onto Vienna.The service is seamless, efficient and always professional. We stayed there whilst major renovation work was being carried out and yet we never heard any noise nor felt any disruption. Some of the bigger public rooms were out of bounds but that was made clear at the booking time.
Breakfast felt like a luxury meal in its own right. Wonderful selection of high quality food.
The choice of hotel made our two day trip to Vienna perfect.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear « yes61 » and family,
Let me take this opportunity to thank your for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to write down your thoughts about your visit. I am honoured to learn that you consider one of our suites as the most beautiful hotel room you have ever stayed in. The Hotel Imperial is indeed a former city palace of a member of the Imperial family and the suites where the princely chambers.
We are striving every day to perfect our guest interaction and I am delighted you experienced the Imperial service culture. I am convinced that your warm words will encourage all our team members to go the extra step in the future again.
Wishing you a sunny March ahead and it would be an honour for us to be able to welcoming you again in the near future.
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
Reviewed 8 February 2014

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights, and we had 3 rooms to ourselves. It gives you a great feeling of staying in a Royal Palace, and still in the center of the Vienna city. We enjoyed the stay, although the hotel is expensive, and not having a breakfast included in the tariff makes it more expensive.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
klauchr, General Manager at Hotel Imperial Vienna, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear “aakash_wanderer”,
Thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Imperial Vienna and for sharing your feedback with us and the TripAdvisor Community. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel Imperial which is indeed a former princely palace, with a history spanning over the past 140 years.
It would be our delight to welcoming you soon again.
Imperial greetings from Europe’s capital of music and culture to Gurgaon.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

I stayed here for one night on business in Vienna. The staff is incredibly helpful and and nice. I forgot my phone in the car and they went down to get it and brought it to my room. The style of the hotel is an antique historical style. It's not necessarily my favorite style, but the rooms are done tastefully and the entry and stairway are really impressive. I don't know what the hotel used to be, but they kept it in the original style which is very nice. I was upgraded as a platinum Starwood member to a larger room with a great street view. The bed was comfortable and the room was very clean.

The breakfast was very elegant and the Cappuccino was incredible. They had a pretty nice buffet spread.

My only complaint was that the shower had lukewarm water at best. It was a pity because I was really looking forward to a nice long shower after flying in from the US. I did complain at checkout and they told me that it must have been related to the construction they were doing. Apparently a few other guests had the same issue. I was given a 50% discount for my stay, which is very generous. I do believe that this was a isolated incident and that it was really due to the construction.

I will stay here again when I return to Vienna.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
klauchr, General Manager at Hotel Imperial Vienna, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Dear „Brabus73“,

Let me take this opportunity to thank you for your recent visit and for sharing your experiences with us and the Tripadvisor community. I was very happy to read that you were delighted with our renowned Imperial service. Guest satisfaction is our utmost focus and if our occupancy permits, it is always again a pleasure to be able to enhance a guest’s stay with an upgrade. I was however disappointed to note that you were affected by a temporary dip in our hot water supply situation. We are indeed currently undergoing some significant revitalization in all our public spaces and in the process there has recently been a short disruption to our water supply. Please do once again accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

It was also great to note that you could experience our newly opened and fully renovated Café Imperial Wien and had an enjoyable time in this very historical venue.

It would be an honor for us to welcoming you again in the not too distant future and in the meantime allow me to wish you and your family on the occasion of the Chinese New Year a most prosperous and happy “Year of the Horse”.

Imperial Greetings from Vienna,

Klaus Christandl
Switzerland
Reviewed 23 January 2014

We stayed here in January 2013. There are some hotels where you know as soon as you set foot onto the property that you have made the right choice. With the Imperial that realization hit me several hours after I reserved the hotel and I received a welcoming email with offers to help prepare my visit. The promptness with which I received responses as well as the kind and helpful proactive attitude blew me away.

After much searching on-line for the perfect Vienna hotel I decided on the Hotel Imperial. Many of the five star properties in Vienna have been modernized and the interior decor transformed to modern sleek. Not the Imperial, this hotel keeps true to its roots; an old Hapsburg Palace/Residence complete with silk on walls and chandeliers. Make no mistake all modern comforts have been installed but the hotel has kept the integrity of the original decor and design. I was transfixed by the photos on the website and after booking the Imperial Junior Suite I received a kind message from Daniela asking if I had any requests. I merely mentioned that I was mesmerized by the photos and was looking forward to my stay when she then kindly ensured we would be able to stay in that room! (the green room). And that is exactly the room we got on check-in.

When we walked into the room I felt like I had walked into Schonbrunn Palace and I was now an extra in a period drama. The room was huge and had a chaise longue, a very comfortable bed and chairs as well as a desk. The TV is flat screen, the bathroom has a separate shower cubicle and bathtub with Bulgari Green tea amenities (my favorite amongst hotel amenities), my favorite was the warm marble bench in the bathroom which was always warm and made you want to lie there (for no reason since why lie in the bathroom in Vienna?) We were three in the room so a roll out bed had been already prepared and there were three sets of everything (towels, bathrobe and slippers) already in the room. The room looked out onto Kaerntner Ring and we could peer out and see the Opera House. The rooms are all double glazed so very quiet and also nicely warm in the room. We were given the famous Imperial Torte and fruit as a welcome refreshment and with the turn-down service every evening we were given chocolates and water. The turn-down service is a proper one with the little linen placed at the side of the bed. Not many hotels do this anymore...

We had breakfast and room service in the hotel and both were excellent with very good service.
All public areas in the hotel were just as gorgeous as our room and the grand staircase dare I say it is more beautiful than the opera or any of the palaces we visited...

I recommend this hotel highly based on the above but the best is to come...our trip to Vienna would not have been complete without the help of the excellent concierge Michael Moser. Not being a very organized planner, we don't make any decisions on what to do that day until we see the weather and very much play it by ear. We had looked for opera tickets online but for some reason decided we would be too jet lagged to go to the opera and did not book anything. 2 weeks before the trip I looked online again and saw that tickets were sold out for the opera that we would have wanted to see during our time there. Shrugging our shoulders we forgot about it, until of course we were standing in front of the opera on our last day in Vienna. Overcome with a feeling of wanting to go and see an opera (all the while accosted by ticket sellers who actually did not have any tickets to the opera) I decided to call the hotel and ask if the concierge had any idea or any means of getting us tickets for the opera that night. Within 20 minutes we had three box seat tickets to Don Giovanni which had been sold out for weeks. We arrived at the opera and were blown away by the great seats and fully recognize that only the concierge from the Hotel Imperial has the magic and know-how to find us such good seats at such last minute.

So thank you to everyone at the Imperial especially Daniela and Michael for the attentive service,you made our stay in Vienna perfect.

For tripadvisors, go for this hotel. Its worth it and when you come back home you won't be able to tell the difference between the pictures you took at Hofburg or the Imperial..except you get to sleep in one of them.

Room Tip: Imperial Junior Suite is the quintessential Hapsburg Decor
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank CosSwitzerland
Dear „ CosSwitzerland“ and family,

First of all I want to thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review about our Hotel Imperial. Reading your elaborated comments was very rewarding to us and I am delighted you experienced our renowned Imperial service culture. We strive to deliver an exceptional service every day and at every interaction and I am convinced that your warm words will further enliven my entire team to go the extra mile again in the future.

The Hotel Imperial was indeed build as the city palace of a member of the Imperial family and it is of great importance to us that the rooms and public spaces continue to reflect the 150-years of history this architectural gem represents. A restorative sleep for our guests is very important to us. Our double glazed windows guarantee you a nice view on the “Kärntner Ring” boulevard without being disturbed by the lively activity on the outside.

I am especially delighted to read that our Concierge managed to find you three tickets for the sold-out Opera and that you were very impressed with the revitalization of all our F&B venues, which had just re-opened before Christmas 2013. Namely our new elegant OPUS restaurant, our newly introduced “1873 – HalleNsalon” lobby lounge & bar, as well as our completely renovated, traditional Viennese Café Imperial.

Wishing you a wonderful back-end of the winter season ahead I am looking forward to welcoming you again in the not too distant future. Allow me to wish you and your family on the occasion of the Chinese New Year a most prosperous and happy “Year of the Horse”.

Imperial Greetings from Vienna,