“Nothing quite compares”

Ranked #16 of 360 Hotels in Vienna
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Nothing quite compares”
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I have stayed in some fabulous hotels all over the World but nothing quite compares with the Imperial for opulence, splendour and a sense of history. This former royal palace is stunning and lives up to its well earned reputation.

The service is the right balance of respectful helpfulness without being intrusive and all the staff were faultless in their friendly professionalism. During our stay, they needed to deal with a lift failure causing it to be unusable at ground floor level and guests having to climb the amazing Imperial staircase to the mezzanine. This does not sound much of an imposition but the ceiling heights and hence floor levels are monumental. The staff helpfully suggested this should not be seen as an inconvenience but as an experience to be remembered. That actually worked!

The hotel is a short walk from the Staats Oper, City Centre and Karlskirche with a great tram service past the from door. It is a superb location.

Although there was some redecorating work being carried out during our stay, the only sign of this was that the Opus Restaurant was not open. The imperial Cafe serves meals, but the cuisine is limited and we had become rather tired of schnitzels, sausages and goulash. For this reason only I have given less than full, excellent rating. Which may be a bit harsh. I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a unique and luxurious experience.

Room Tip: We had a junior suite which is quite splendid. Perhaps because of the time of year it was discounted...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
klauchr, General Manager at Hotel Imperial Vienna, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear “Stephen M” and partner,

What a delight to read through your outstanding feedback on the TripAdvisor Site. Thank you for all the praise and compliments. It is indeed a privilege to be able to be part of creating unique and lasting memories.

How unfortunate that you were unable to enjoy an amazing culinary experience at our new OPUS restaurant…most definitely an excellent reason to return to Vienna in the not too distant future.

All the best for the back end of spring and a wonderful early summer.

Imperial greetings from sunny Vienna to Liverpool,

Klaus Christandl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

There is marble everywhere, huge, beautiful chandeliers, intricate detail in decoration, exquisite service and very comfortable beds - very good indeed! Our junior suite was well equipped, large and very comfortable.

It is also very, very expensive. The included wifi is too slow to play a basic Youtube video, and a faster version costs €20 per day. The breakfast buffet is nice but not extraordinary, yet costs an eye-watering €41 per person, also for children.

The location is very good, with easy access to all of Vienna's attractions.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank amertner
klauchr, General Manager at Hotel Imperial Vienna, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear “amertner” and family,
Thank you very much for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to write down your feedback. I was very pleased to read your feedback about our rooms and our high service achievements. Allow me to clarify that our Champagne breakfast buffet is free for children up to the age of 3 years and from 3 to 12 years children (and their parents) enjoy a 50% discount. I am also happy to share with you that we are in the final stages of an additional upgrade of the bandwidth for both our free of charge service, as well as the high speed service for WIFI connections. This upgrade will be implemented in the month of March 2014.
Wishing you a sunny March ahead and it would be a pleasure for us to welcoming you soon again.
Best regards from the Austrian to the British capital,
New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I stayed in the imperial for 2 two nights for a performance/business trip. My bags where in my room when after I checked in. The room was spacious with excellent toiletries and bathroom facility. Fresh plums placed in my room daily with room cleaning. Extremely comfortable bed and very quiet hotel (despite being in the middle of downtown). Very relaxing, top notch service and very attentive staff. I highly recommend.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Theodorian
Dear „Theodorian“,
Let me take this opportunity to thank you for your recent stay with us and for sharing your feedback about the Hotel Imperial Vienna with the online community. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit to our beautiful city and that your experience does credit to the renowned Imperial Service.
We would be delighted to welcoming you soon again at our newly revitalized historical icon.
Imperial greetings from Vienna to New York City,
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Starwood has its "Luxury Collection". A lot of its hotels aspire to that: this is the real deal. I've spent 900-odd nights in Starwood hotels in the past decade, and none has matched this (including their two other excellent 5* hotels in Vienna).

Truly stunning public areas. An incredible suite, as tasteful as you could imagine. The best buffet breakfast; stunning cooking for dinner in 'Opus' and a gorgeous lounge for drinks. Plus jaw-droppingly good service that astounded us several times.

Some grand hotels rest on their reputations. This truly earns its.

• Stayed February 2014
Dear “JCW”,
First of all I want to thank you for your recent stay at the Hotel Imperial Vienna and for sharing your thoughts with us and the TripAdvisor community. It was rewarding to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you experienced the renowned Imperial service culture. The first phase of a complete revitalization of all ourpublic areas had been completed two months ago and we are especially delighted to read your favorable impressions about the restored spaces.
It would be an honor for us to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
Spring time greetings from Vienna,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Stayed here for two nights with the family in a suite. This is the most beautiful hotel room I have ever stayed in. The suite was incredibly comfortable, beautifully decorated with huge windows looking out onto Vienna.The service is seamless, efficient and always professional. We stayed there whilst major renovation work was being carried out and yet we never heard any noise nor felt any disruption. Some of the bigger public rooms were out of bounds but that was made clear at the booking time.
Breakfast felt like a luxury meal in its own right. Wonderful selection of high quality food.
The choice of hotel made our two day trip to Vienna perfect.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear « yes61 » and family,
Let me take this opportunity to thank your for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to write down your thoughts about your visit. I am honoured to learn that you consider one of our suites as the most beautiful hotel room you have ever stayed in. The Hotel Imperial is indeed a former city palace of a member of the Imperial family and the suites where the princely chambers.
We are striving every day to perfect our guest interaction and I am delighted you experienced the Imperial service culture. I am convinced that your warm words will encourage all our team members to go the extra step in the future again.
Wishing you a sunny March ahead and it would be an honour for us to be able to welcoming you again in the near future.
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
Reviewed 8 February 2014

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights, and we had 3 rooms to ourselves. It gives you a great feeling of staying in a Royal Palace, and still in the center of the Vienna city. We enjoyed the stay, although the hotel is expensive, and not having a breakfast included in the tariff makes it more expensive.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
klauchr, General Manager at Hotel Imperial Vienna, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear “aakash_wanderer”,
Thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Imperial Vienna and for sharing your feedback with us and the TripAdvisor Community. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel Imperial which is indeed a former princely palace, with a history spanning over the past 140 years.
It would be our delight to welcoming you soon again.
Imperial greetings from Europe’s capital of music and culture to Gurgaon.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

I stayed here for one night on business in Vienna. The staff is incredibly helpful and and nice. I forgot my phone in the car and they went down to get it and brought it to my room. The style of the hotel is an antique historical style. It's not necessarily my favorite style, but the rooms are done tastefully and the entry and stairway are really impressive. I don't know what the hotel used to be, but they kept it in the original style which is very nice. I was upgraded as a platinum Starwood member to a larger room with a great street view. The bed was comfortable and the room was very clean.

The breakfast was very elegant and the Cappuccino was incredible. They had a pretty nice buffet spread.

My only complaint was that the shower had lukewarm water at best. It was a pity because I was really looking forward to a nice long shower after flying in from the US. I did complain at checkout and they told me that it must have been related to the construction they were doing. Apparently a few other guests had the same issue. I was given a 50% discount for my stay, which is very generous. I do believe that this was a isolated incident and that it was really due to the construction.

I will stay here again when I return to Vienna.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
klauchr, General Manager at Hotel Imperial Vienna, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Dear „Brabus73“,

Let me take this opportunity to thank you for your recent visit and for sharing your experiences with us and the Tripadvisor community. I was very happy to read that you were delighted with our renowned Imperial service. Guest satisfaction is our utmost focus and if our occupancy permits, it is always again a pleasure to be able to enhance a guest’s stay with an upgrade. I was however disappointed to note that you were affected by a temporary dip in our hot water supply situation. We are indeed currently undergoing some significant revitalization in all our public spaces and in the process there has recently been a short disruption to our water supply. Please do once again accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

It was also great to note that you could experience our newly opened and fully renovated Café Imperial Wien and had an enjoyable time in this very historical venue.

It would be an honor for us to welcoming you again in the not too distant future and in the meantime allow me to wish you and your family on the occasion of the Chinese New Year a most prosperous and happy “Year of the Horse”.

Imperial Greetings from Vienna,