“Don't Forget the Imperial Torte”

Hotel Imperial Vienna
Ranked #16 of 358 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I have stayed at the Imperial Hotel many times. It is a large old fashioned hotel with beautiful interiors. I always have a suite, not a room. The beds and the sitting rooms are comfortable. The Imperial is wonderful hotel for meeting people. There is a very grand reception area which is nice for greeting ones friends. The staff are attentive. I have stayed at other hotels in Vienna, but the Imperial is the friendliest. And the "Imperial Torte" is delicious. Make sure you have one posted home.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank James E
Write a ReviewReviews (1,205)

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Our stay at the Imperial was a wonderful experience. Four nights of luxury. Bulgari in the bathrooms. Fresh fruit and orchids in the sitting area. We were treated like royalty. Mr. Moser was especially wonderful. His genuine friendliness was refreshing. The property is like a palace. Mr. Moser booked a trip for us on the Danube to Melk Abbey. The trip was great, The Abbey magnificent, and the Danube was breathtaking.

Breakfast was 42 euro so we ate at a cafe called Aida for about 12 euro for the two of us.

The location of the imperial is right on the ring and makes for a very easy walk anywhere in the historic core of Vienna.

When we can get back to Vienna, we will be back at the imperial.

3  Thank GaryScott
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Ever dreamt about being an emperor? Well, then Vienna is the perfect city to trigger your dreams and the Imperial is the perfect home base. A magnificent palatial building (it actually was built as a palace), located right on the Ringstrasse (the main road around the city center), you can walk to the opera in about 7 minutes.

Entering the building, you are welcomed in a bright and lavish reception area. However, it is smaller than it seems from the outside. The whole hotel, surprising at it may be at first sight, has an almost boutique-feel. (If you plan to host kinky parties, this is not the place.) The concierge and receptionist greet almost all the guests by name, as I have observed. They are very helpful, unobtrusive and professional and it is a joy to watch them work. If I ever were to conduct a tour showing future hotel staff what a grand hotel should feel like, I would have them spend time at the Imperial reception. And by using old-fashioned keys, you will have to interact with the staff quite a lot.

The hotel has a charming café, rather posh, but not as stiff as you would expect a café inside the Imperial to be like. There you can have a slice of the Imperial Torte, the house cake, so rich that a Sacher Torte seems healthy as a carrot but – in my humble opinion – much better.

The bar was recently re-located to a central lobby area just behind the reception. It is a beauty. If you happen to be at the hotel during one of the balls that take place in the Musikverein (Philharmoniker-Ball, Techniker-Cercle-Ball…), you can walk right through the bar and are there. The Imperial even hosts a (free) champagne reception before the ball. Talking about saving money: the drinks at the ball are so ridiculously overpriced that stingy me went to the hotel in between dances to quench my thirst with Imperial-cocktails to save money (and not to stand in line).

Many grand hotels have a built in disappointment-mechanism: about 15 minutes after standing in awe at the entrance, you enter your room and it looks…well…different. Not so at this hotel: the rooms exploit the building’s grandeur to the fullest but have all modern amenities. The bathrooms are full of marble and tasteful. The only annoying thing is the TV system as it takes you about 5 minutes to click through a complicated menu in order to just watch TV.
Now, I do not know every room and old hotels tend to have very different rooms. But I have been a guest several times and every time was I more impressed.

The last time I visited, I almost spent a week there and I not only felt like a little emperor but it truly felt like home. To me, this is THE grand hotel in Vienna and one of my all-time favorites.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank JNasher
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Stayed here last week to celebrate a special event and the Hotel and it's staff went out of their way to make our stay special. We were upgraded to room 233 which is bigger than the entire ground floor of our house in England and with a high ceiling so high it was possible to hang a chandelier adorned in twinkling crystal which had obviously never been touched by the Trotters.

The Concierge Desk couldn't have been more helpful especially Herr Michael Moser who organised at very short notice great value tickets to see Die Fledermaus at the Volksoper. We felt a bit like the muppets as we peered over the edge of our private box to see a fantastic spectacle with discreet subtitles in English above the stage. Herr Orlando Donato also gave us great support and information.

Breakfast in the Cafe is an array of top quality produce magnificently displayed by a team of people who take great pride in looking after their guests. The cafe functions all day with main meals and incredible pastries designed to tempt you. I had the best Vienner Schnitzel possible with a Gruner Veltliner which I would love to be able to buy back home. The cafe is also a focal point for many locals who come in to read the paper and drool over the cakes in the afternoon.

We dined in the Opus Restaurant one evening and were treated to inspired culinary delights. The experience starts almost immediately with a stream of amuses-bouche. Although I loved by Langoustine starter I would have loved it more if it had been Langoustines. Our main course of Turbot was absolutely delicious. Being unable to buy many varieties of Gruner Veltliner in the UK I am not very familiar with this cepage and asked the Head Waiter/Sommelier for advice. He said "Do you trust me?" Of course I did and we were presented with a great bottle of wine at a very reasonable price.

The entire staff of this hotel are focused on giving their guest the best possible experience. respect them for their dedication and will be delighted to return here in the future.

Room Tip: We had a room on the front of the hotel and slept with the window open. We are not deaf but did not...
1  Thank JAMES L
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Stayed in a junior suite, the staff were excellent, the room was exactly as expected if not a little larger, breakfast was continental in style again as expected.
The hotel is situated on the kaerntner ring as stated so a little more walking to do than if you stayed at the sister Bristol hotel, that said however everything is not far away.
We stayed for 3 nights in early December no snow at that time but wrap up warm, it is chilly.
Christmas markets are scattered all over and a good place to warm up with hot toddies.
Thoroughly recommend visiting Vienna and staying at the Imperial hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Stayed at this delightful hotel. Images do NOT do the place justice. The interior is exquisite. The staff are friendly and efficient. Food served is well prepared and varied. The bar has an evening pianist, not obtrusive but noticeable. The concierge team were excellent, nothing was too much trouble and were helpful in recommending restaurants and concerts.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

I stayed here last week with a friend, the Hotel is beautiful and steeped in History, it is in great location for sightseeing. The staff were excellent always friendly and polite and extremely helpful and professional, to all the staff I would give 10 out of 10. The breakfast is very good with a very large choice of food to suit all tastes. The Piano Bar is superb and a lovely place to relax after a hectic day although we were told there would be piano player on the second night of our visit but there was not which was a shame because we had been looking forward to this.

We had booked a Deluxe room and we were very disappointed in the size of the room which was very small for a hotel of this standard and did not to us represent what you would expect of a Deluxe room, the room we were given is pictured on the website as a Classic room and we had paid for a Deluxe room.

Overall I would rate this hotel highly and would be happy to recommend it to other travelers who are considering a stay in Vienna.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends