“Girls' Trip to Vienna- elegance, luxury and comfort topped off with an iconic view”

Hotel Bristol Vienna
Ranked #20 of 361 Hotels in Vienna
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 December 2013

You'll never forget you're in Vienna when staying at the Hotel Bristol. Stepping into the gilded lobby, being greeted by name at reception and riding the old school elevator to your room, you feel like you've walked into a time warp of what old Vienna must have been like at the turn of the century. And in this world of globalization and sameness that was exactly the sort of experience I was craving.

I stayed here with a friend on a short girls' trip as part of our Christmas market tour of Europe (we are both SPG members and usually pick affiliated hotels). On my last trip to Vienna I'd stayed at the nearby Imperial, which I also loved. But the Bristol inched out the Imperial this time because while it matched it in old world service and elegance, the Bristol surpassed it with a certain undefinable warmth and comfort that made it feel like home.

Albeit a home with a gigantic walk in closet and Opera views! I loved how the room balanced an elegant, antique feel with spacious counter space and room for all of our girl "stuff" (e.g., a pile of ipads, iphones, cosmetics, hats, shoes...)

The location could not be beat-- we were walking distance to at least 5 Christmas markets and all of the restaurants we had on our list. It was also super convenient to have the u-bahn right out front when the weather turned too cold for a walk. The u-bahn entrance also has an escalator which made it a breeze to hop the CAT back to the airport (even with a full size suitcase stuffed with all my purchases).

The concierge was always available and was well informed to answer any questions-- I got some great insider shopping tips that I never came across during my exhaustive google searches.

I didn't see the restaurant before the renovation but I can report that post renovation it definitely meets my idea of what a grand Vienna restaurant should look like-- huge chandeliers, a gorgeous ceiling, great lighting and plush seating.

On my last trip to Vienna, I went with a beau and thought of the city as a romantic place-- I was worried that on this girls' trip perhaps the romance of Vienna and staying at a grand hotel like the Bristol would be wasted on us. But I found the opposite to be true-- Vienna is the perfect place to hit with a group of girlfriends and feel ridiculously indulgent-- for a fraction of the price of somewhere like NYC where I live. Can't wait to head back in warmer weather for another girls' trip to check out the heuringers.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
BRISTOL_VIE_GM, General Manager at Hotel Bristol Vienna, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Dear 'SouvenirFinder'

Thank you for your very kind review which you posted on our web site. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay that much here at the Bristol. It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed the atmosphere at our Hotel and our location as well as our new restaurant. Let's not wait too long to come back on your next girl's Weekend - there is lot's more to discover in Vienna! Warmest regards from Vienna, Gerald Krischek - General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 14 December 2013

I visited this wonderful hotel last year during the week of Thanksgiving. If you love classic architecture and elegant furnishings, this is your place. It is very quiet and all the staff extremely friendly. Located right across from the Opera House you have easy access for wonderful views and shopping. The bar is area is classy and quiet and dinner in the restaurant was so elegant. I would not hesitate to visit this old city and this wonderful hotel again.

Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 14 December 2013

This hotel is ideally located in the heart of Vienna, just across from the iconic opera house and on the central shopping district. The room was well appointed with wonderful amenities and spacious accomodations. The staff is very friendly and all speak very fluent english. While spendy, if you happen to be a Starwoods Hotel Spg member the combination of points and reduced daily rate is a great deal. Within easy walking distance of many of the major museums and local sites.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank t-bonetraveller
Dear 't-bonetraveller'

Thank you for your review which you posted on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to read that you had a great stay at our Hotel. I am pleased that you felt valued as a most esteemed Starwood Preferred Guest Member. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back in the near future. Kind regards, Gerald Krischek - General Manager
Reviewed 13 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Hotel Bristol for four nights in early December. The hotel is lovely, the rooms are very well appointed. I requested a quiet room, so it does not have a view, it is really quiet, with the windows closed. However, I like to sleep with a cool temperature, so I left the window cracked as the air did not seem to work but since it was December it might have been off. The bathroom is really nice and is well lit. This is an old hotel, but the water pressure and quick heating of the water demonstrates the attention to maintenance. I also liked the chandelier in the middle of the room, with a dimmer switch.

The only complaint I have is with the bar. It is beautiful with a great drink menu but really small and has no air circulation, since they allow smoking in the bar it is horrible and completely unusable if you are not a smoker, since just walking in causes gagging and your clothes will smell if youse end any time at all in the bar. There is no place, except the lobby which had no atmosphere and is cold for a non smoker to have a nightcap. Because of the bar I am rating this four stars not five.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Stayed here for the very first time last weekend on a trip to Vienna. From checking in, to departure 3 days later we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The hotel staff were efficient and polite and the rooms well maintained, and importantly were quiet. The hotel enjoys a great location just off the main shopping district opposite the Opera House. I would highly recommend and will not hesitate to book again when visiting Vienna

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
BRISTOL_VIE_GM, General Manager at Hotel Bristol Vienna, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear 'HappyHoliday1'

thank you for your recent stay with us as well as your Review. It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please visit us soon again! We just opened our new Restaurant named BRISTOL LOUNGE which will ensure an even better experience to our guests. Kind regards, Gerald R. Krischek - General Manager
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 7 December 2013

My wife and I stayed here twice during our vacation to Austria and had a great time. We were upgraded to a penthouse suite for our first stay, and the room is fabulous! It came with its own balcony with view of the Opera House, well appointed furnishings, and a marble bath. For our second stay, the suite was not available, but the room we got was very large and had the same classic style. The location is just excellent, and you can walk or get on the subway very easily. Breakfast is also quite good.

The service at the font desk and concierge is good, although not the most friendly at breakfast. My only other issue is that the hotel is quite expensive. If I wasn't using points to stay, I'm not sure that I would pay regular rates to stay here. But for us, it was ideal and we had a great time!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear 'porjotok_Boston'

Thank you for your Review posted on Trip advisor following your recent stay. I understand you had a pleasant stay at our property. I noted that you were not satisfied with the breakfast experience. I can assure you that we have greatly improved the entire experience as our new Restaurant has opened after a meticulous Restoration - besides that with the new concept we have also worked on improving the service for all meal periods. I hope that you will give us the pleasure of visiting us soon again here at the Hotel Bristol Vienna.
Kind regards, Gerald R. Krischek - General Manager
Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

À great joy to have stayed there .
Excellent location. Stylish hotel. Staff very much guest orientated. They do everything to make you feel at home. My suitcase went lost and the utmost was done to follow it up so I did not have to bother about it.
Thanks to them all. Looking forward to my next stay.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Dear 'Louis A'

Thank you for your recent stay with us and your Review which you posted on Trip Advisor.
It is a pleasure to read about your great stay experience here at the Hotel Bristol - I am especially grateful for your kind and positive Feedback about my associates and the service provided. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Kind regards,
Gerald Krischek - General Manager