“In the heart of it all”

Ranked #19 of 360 Hotels in Vienna
Minneapolis
“In the heart of it all”
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

The location of the Bristol right across the street from the opera and on the corner of a major metro stop cannot be beat. Restaurants and shopping are within steps of the front door. The rooms are lavish and beautiful and the lobby bar and restaurant are handy. We had drinks in the bar but did not eat at the restaurant. Breakfast in Vienna is a pastry and coffee at one of several nearby shops. The service and accommodations were top notch. There were so many restaurants within walking distance, we had trouble choosing where to eat.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
BRISTOL_VIE_GM, General Manager at Hotel Bristol Vienna, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear 'Rümanna'

Thank you for your Review posted on Trip Advisor. It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay at our Hotel. Thanks for your great comments about our Services and facilities as well as our Location! It will be a pleasure to welcome you back in the near future.
Kind regards, Gerald Krischek - General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I had not staid at the Bristol before on my prior visits to Vienna, as I typically stay at the Imperial, but wanted to try it.

Was it good? Yes, perfectly acceptable. Would I return? Maybe.

As other reviewers have noted, the Bristol's location is perfect, next to the Opera house. Public areas have lots of old world charme. Service was perfect - formal yet friendly.

Why am I not more enthusiastic? I was upgraded to a Penthouse Junior Suite (thank you!). Nice room, but I was a bit underwhelmed, frankly. It's located on the top floor, with a small balcony with two chairs. Depending on which side of the hotel you are on, you have a view of the Opera house (I hadn't). The balcony was a nice touch, but apart from that, the room had nothing special. It was 40 square meters, and had an ottoman. Not really a junior suite in my book. The bathroom was split in two - the bath and shower were located to the left of the balcony, the toilet to the right. This was quite impractical. Decoration was traditional.The room was well maintained, but a tiny bit faded (e.g., the carpet).

Compare that to the Executive Junior Suites at the Hotel Imperial, which have a similar concept (also on the top floor with small step out balconies): They measure about 70 square meters, and have a nice sitting area. Yes they are also more expensive, but not that much.

I don't know, given the abundance of upscale hotel options in Vienna, ranging from the very traditional to the very modern, what would make me return. As I said, I found the Bristol to be perfectly acceptable, but if I am after the old world experience, I would probably just stick to the Imperial, although it is slightly more costly.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear 'Guerteltier'

Thank you for your Review posted on Trip Advisor! We appreciate your Feedback. I thank you for your comments about our Hotel. I understand that Overall you had an enjoyable experience at our Hotel. While you seem to have particularly liked our Location and Service you were not that impressed with your room. Allow me to add that we do have also Penthouse Suites in Addition to the Junior Suites that are substantially larger. Please keep that in mind - These do also have a balcony but are larger with a separate sleeping / living space. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back in the future. Kind regards, Gerald Krischek / General Manager
Bristol
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Being from Bristol, Maria and I decided to visit Hotel Bristol for coffee and Wiener Apfelstrudel. The lounge had beautiful wood panelling, art deco style mirrors and lovely chandeliers. The welcome was pleasant and the lounge before the lunchtime period was quiet, relaxing and a welcome change from the tourist-charged atmosphere of the city outside. The service was attentive and unobtrusive and the apfelstrudel was so delicious and the texture so good. As for the main cafes elsewhere, they can be very busy and some of the waiting staff adopt an air of superiority which is amusing to observe. Hotel Bristol offers a combination of an oasis of calm and excellent service.

Dear 'SteveBrissle'

thank you for your Review on Trip Advisor! I am glad to read that you enjoyed our 'Apple-Strudel' at our newly renovated Bristol Lounge! Please come and visit us soon again.

Kind regards, Gerald Krischek - General Manager
New York
Reviewed 26 April 2014

The Bristol has been around a long time and it is both part of its charm and one of it's problems. Gorgeous marble, brass and wood decor is slightly chipped, scratched or faded at this point in time. The rooms are generously appointed, the windows sound proof, and the service top notch. But it needs some freshening. The location is excellent for walking to all the major sights of Vienna.

Dear 'NewYorkWendy'

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your Feedback. I understand that you liked your room in General but felt that some of the Wood work needed renovation. I can assure you that we are constantly updating and renovating our facilities. We just finished some Major renovations of our public spaces - additional future renovations of our guest rooms are in planning. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back in the near future. Kind regards, Gerald Krischek - General Manager
New York City, New York
Reviewed 8 April 2014

This is how my friend's 6-year old referred to my room when she saw my photo. This hotel exceeded every single expectation. The location CANNOT be beat (I had a view of the opera house from my room). Central to everything: Belvedere, Albertina, close walk to Stephansplatz, MuseumsQuartier, etc etc.
The room was exquisite: very big, very charming, the decor was so old-world (I felt like I had been transported back to the 18th century...in a good way!). The biggest surprise was the staff. Not a hint of snootiness. So welcoming and warm and helpful. I cannot wait to go back!

Room Tip: Room 460 was fabulous!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
BRISTOL_VIE_GM, General Manager at Hotel Bristol Vienna, responded to this review, 13 April 2014
Dear 'Despinalegakis'

Thank you for your review posted on Trip Advisor. It is a pleasure to read that we exceeded your expectations and that you had a wonderful stay at our property and city. I would like thank you for commenting so nicely about our service and facilities. We appreciate your recognition. It would be a great pleasure to welcome you back in the near future. Kind regards, Gerald Krischek - General Manager
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I stayed at this beautiful hotel for a long weekend with my wife. It is not inexpensive (just the opposite), but it is a treat!
The service staff is really top notch. The wait staff during breakfast was the best I have ever experienced. The food was wonderful and the variety was great.
The room are large and well appointed. Showers are AWESOME and the beds are very comfortable.
It is a splurge, but it is a wonderful spot for anyone visiting Vienna.

Room Tip: If you can get a view facing the Opera House, take it (you can watch the performances from you room...
Dear 'Reillys1013'

Thank you for your Review posted on Trip Advisor. It is a pleasure to read that your stay experience at our Hotel was a pleasant one. We would be delighted to welcome you back in the near future! Kind regards, Gerald Krischek - General Manager
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 30 March 2014

The Bristol is an old-world gem, staffed by true professionals, perfectly located, and quietly luxurious. I spent a week in a standard ("Classic") room and enjoyed it very much. Major positives included a long hall between the room's door and the room itself (with the bathroom and a sizable cupboard off it), which meant a very quiet stay (as did the double-glazed windows), the traditional Viennese decor, and the very comfortable bed. The bathroom was large, with both rain and nozzle showerheads and excellent towels. The room itself was large by European standards, with a high ceiling, lovely chandelier, and thoughtful placement of lighting and outlets throughout.

Breakfast in the lounge every morning was a highlight - a nice buffet range of fruits, baked goods, meat, and cheese, with eggs cooked to order and (a treat on the weekends) sparkling wine along with juices, coffee, etc. After a day or two I felt like a house regular, enjoyed being greeted by name at the desk and by the restaurant staff, and generally felt like the Bristol was a true (if deluxe) home from home.

Really the only downside for the business traveler is Internet connectivity, which ranged from adequate to nonexistent. Free in-room wifi was frequently slow and often dropped; the paid upgrade (which I found on checkout was actually included in my rate) was at times better, but at others was as slow or slower and just as intermittent as the free. The staff was helpful and sympathetic, but it seemed like this was an ongoing issue.

Finally, some travelers might miss some amenities, such as a spa, pool, or serious gym (there is a small space with some machines), that this historic urban hotel doesn't boast.

All of that, though, to me was more than offset by the many joys of being a Bristol guest.

Room Tip: From my experience, even the basic room is more than comfortable; upgrades, I'm sure, are more s...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
BRISTOL_VIE_GM, General Manager at Hotel Bristol Vienna, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Dear 'ElMusaferain'

Thank you very much for your detailed Review following your recent stay at our property. Whilst I understand that overall the positive impressions prevailed you had some challenges particularly with our internet connectivity. Rest assured that your comments will be looked into. Your feedback is very valuable to us. We are working diligently in improving our network stability and have already achieved some great improvements over the past year - however your comments show me that we need to continue to focus on this important aspect. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back in the near future. Kind regards, Gerald Krischek - General Manager