“Beware the Bristol”

Hotel Bristol Vienna
Ranked #20 of 359 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I reserved a Penthouse Jr. Suite with Terrace for 550EU for four nights. I called the day before to reconfirm with the concierge. I was given room 657 with no other choices available. I would describe this room as an under-the-roof garret with a small balcony. The online home page of the Bristol was not an accurate description at all, bordering on false advertising, and gave a false impression of what one was buying sight unseen.

The carpet in this room looks like a bad hallucination from the sixties that never got cleaned up. It gives the room a very bad feeling but matches the brownish wall paper for overall gloom. At the end of the hall the room is next to the furnace for the hotel with constant noise and sounds of running and dripping water.

There are no windows except for the door leading to the balcony which means keeping the door open for air, which is not easy, as it is not set up for being kept open. I would have even been OK with all of this, since they could not change my room, if it had been advertised and priced properly. As it is I feel misused.

Other than this the food was inedible. The breakfast felt more like a cafeteria line than a five star hotel. Waiting in a long line for some bad eggs with plate in hand and no table service at all might be called a buffet . . . Dinner was just as bad with the grand finale of a chocolate dessert that was so badly imagined that it topped the bill of a bad meal. The wine however was quite good although the wine steward never appeared and after two tries I just ordered it without help.

With no spa or pool and a small work out room not much to comment about here except in its absence.

I used to stay in this hotel many years ago before it became a chain. The food was always good and it was just under the Sacher Hotel it's neighbor in terms of quality. Now it has fallen to the level of a mid-price motel. Not recommended. Get the cheapest room at the Sacher for a better experience.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank loveandpeace47
BRISTOL_VIE_GM, General Manager at Hotel Bristol Vienna, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear 'loveandpeace47'

Thank you very much for having completed our guest questionnaire as well as for your honest feedback via TripAdvisor.

I was most concerned to learn about your disappointment during your recent stay with us and very much regret that we haven’t obviously had an opportunity to be of any help for you on the spot. I am very sorry to learn from your comments that the room you stayed in did not meet your expectations. We have made a note that you did not like the room and would love to provide you with a different room type next time you would stay with us. Kindly note that besides regular ongoing refurbishing throughout the hotel and major renovation works in the past 2 years (banquet floor, restaurant, bar, lobby and 10 new rooms and suites) many new renovation plans are already under way. Furthermore I regretted to read that your overall restaurant experience was not to your satisfaction. You may rest assured that we have taken your feedback very seriously and that we will certainly take your comments into consideration for the future, as it is the goal of our team here at the Hotel Bristol that our guests feel as comfortable and happy as possible.

I sincerely hope that we will get another opportunity to change your recent negative impression into a positive one. We would feel more than honored to show you the very high level of quality and service for which we are usually known - for many decades, now. Please make your next reservation directly through my office, so I may assure you of my personal attention and please do not hesitate to contact me in case of any further questions.

With my best personal regards,
Gerald Krischek - General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,571)

Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is a grand old hotel in the best European traditions - however at $500+ plus per night it is a little shabby
Well located, it has all the trappings of a long gone era - room was a good size, with heavy drapes, large marble bathroom, comfortable bed - just had that feeling though, it had seen better times.
Public areas are grand, particularly the breakfast room
Couple of small nit picks - the breakfast croissants were not fresh and the tea ordered for room service came in a coffee pot so it tasted bad

1  Thank RabaulUSA
BRISTOL_VIE_GM, General Manager at Hotel Bristol Vienna, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear 'RabaulUSA'

Thank you for your review posted on Trip Advisor. Allow me to mention that rates largely depend on the season you travel as well as the kind of room you chose. I would like to reiterate the fact that the Hotel has undergone some very extensive renovations concentrated on the public spaces including (but definitely not limited to) the breakfast restaurant - our all day dining 'Bristol Lounge'.
I regret that you did not find the croissants fresh - we do get daily delivery of all bakeries - I will look into this further - the same goes for the tea pot for room service - thank you for bringing it to our attention. We thank you for your patronage and your comments.
Kind regards, Gerald Krischek - General Manager

Reviewed 27 May 2014

In connection with the Europa Nostra Congress we stayed for five nights in Hotel Bristol. We had ordered limousine service from the airport and on arrival at the hotel we were friendly wellcomed and had a flawless checkin. Our room was very large comfortable and quiet. Every morning we had the most delicious breakfast with a lot of choices of meals. This is a very comfortable hotel with a fine service.

Dear 'Erik B'

Thank you for your Review posted on Trip Advisor. It is a pleasure to read your comments and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at our Hotel. Please visit us some time in the near future again! We would be delighted to welcome you back!
Kind regards, Gerald Krischek - General Manager

Reviewed 26 May 2014

I am writing this review to share with everyone the excellent quality of our stay here in Vienna. The Bristol experience has been first rate. The check-in was easy. The assistant front-office manager, Benedikt, accommodated our desire for an upgraded room in a manner befitting a 5 star hotel. The entire staff, under his guidance, couldn't be nicer and any more professional. Concierge staff was spot on with their recommendations regarding restaurants and simple directions. Now the best news, we still have two more days to experience the Bristol way of doing things. I highly suggest the Bristol for your next stay in Vienna. And, no, I was not told what to write. This is a very honest review of a great hotel. Thank you, LW. Forgot to mention, the housekeeping staff does an excellent job.

Room Tip: Try to choose a room facing the opera house.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear 'candy w'

Thank you for your Review posted on Trip Advisor. It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay at our Hotel. Thank you for commenting on Benedikt and some other associates. We are very proud that our efforts received your recognition. Please visit us soon again we would be delighted to welcome you back in the near future! Kind regards, Gerald Krischek - General Manager

Reviewed 25 May 2014

This is a very nice and luxurious hotel right in the heart of Vienna. It is right next to the Opera House and many other interesting points in the city which makes it very convenient. The hotel is very nice, rooms are nice and staff very helpful. Probably a very expensive hotel, but fortunately I had starwoods points to spend

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear 'Luis Q'

Thank you for your review posted on Trip Advisor. It is a pleasure to read your comments on our web site. Thank you for choosing our Hotel for your stay. Please visit us soon again! Kind regards, Gerald Krischek - General Manager

Reviewed 19 May 2014

This is a beautiful and luxurious hotel right in the middle of busy Vienna. I was highly impressed with the quality of our suite. The hotel is on a busy street and yet it was so quiet you felt a million miles away! The bed was probably one of the most comfortable ones I have ever slept on. The room was quite large as was the bathroom. The staff was very friendly, room service was unbelievably quick and there was also a fun little bar. I highly recommend this hotel.

2  Thank LisaChicago_IL
BRISTOL_VIE_GM, General Manager at Hotel Bristol Vienna, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear 'LisaChicago_IL'

It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed the facilities and Services of the Hotel Bristol as well as its location. I am very grateful for your Kind comments about my associates. Our staff is the greatest asset of our Hotel - It goes without saying that we would be delighted to welcome you back in the near future to our Hotel! Kind regards, Gerald Krischek - General Manager

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Hotels in Vienna seemed crazy expensive so I used Starwood points to book this place. I think it is probably quite expensive, but it was absolutely lovely. Old fashioned style, but perfect for old Vienna. The room was large and well appointed and the service was excellent. The location was also perfect, right next to the opera house and easily walkable to everything you'd want to see.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Ingrid H

Dear 'Ingrid H'

Thank you for your Review posted on Trip Advisor. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at our Hotel. The Hotel Bristol is one of Vienna's most traditional Hotels - it is great that we have actually met your taste! We would be delighted to welcome you back in the near future.
Kind regards, Gerald