“A Grand Hotel”

Hotel Bristol Vienna
Ranked #19 of 359 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed 25 August 2014

The hotel has impressed me in various aspects: Great location, on the Ring, next to the opera. The Musikverein is also very close. The service was extremely good, and the room (not a suite) very nicely cut with a small entrance vestibule with walk-in closet, a bath, a separate toilet (with is own wash basin), the section with the bed and section for sitting. There was a safe and even 110V American style power outlet in the sitting area. Apparently, you can get a fast internet access as well (which I haven't) used.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com
BRISTOL_VIE_GM, General Manager at Hotel Bristol Vienna, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Dear 'Florian V'

Thank you for your Review posted on Trip Advisor. I appreciate your Feedback very much - it is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed our facilities and Location - thanks for sharing your experience with the world. We would be pleased to welcome you back in the near future. Kind regards, Gerald Krischek - General Manager

Reviewed 22 August 2014

7 of us had dinner at the hotel's restaurant. The staff was so helpful and delightful, the restaurant was spotless, the food was extraordinary, the atmosphere was beautiful. Everything about it was wonderful. Definitely a must do in Vienna.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 August 2014

A friend and I stayed at the Hotel Bristol in Vienna.

The great: rooms, service, location. The hotel itself was lovely, though undergoing renovation on the exterior, which was not a problem. The deluxe rooms were good -- bathrooms spacious, beds comfortable, everything clean, very well appointed, though a bit stale in the lobby area and some of the floors. The location is absolutely perfect!! The hotel is at the heart of the city, near all of the attractions. It's an easy ride from the airport on the express airport transit and just 2 stops on the U4 metro to Karlsplatz. It's adjacent to the Opera House and just a few minutes walk from the Hofberg Mozart Symphony performances, the Mozart Cafe, the Albertina Museum, the Plachutta Gasthaus zur Oper restaurant, and wonderful shopping and pubs. The service was very good - from the front desk staff to the bellman, concierge and housekeeping staff. They were great about late checkout to allow us time to get ready after our bike tour on the last day. They helped us with reservations and directions with none of the European attitude you get in some other countries. Vienna, overall, was a an incredibly nice and happy place!

The not-so-great: For a high end hotel, we were disappointed to see that breakfast was not included. The walls were also paper thin. We could hear our neighbors on both sides, which was very irritating at 1:30am.

As an aside: The bike tours of Vienna are HIGHLY recommended. I think it's the very best way to see Vienna -- you hit all of the spots from the gardens to the Parliament building to the amusement park right outside of town. The bike tours start just minutes from the hotel.

Room Tip: Get on of the updated rooms - they have a lot of stale ones on the 5th floor (I think) that just fee...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank MoonlightRainSea
Reviewed 16 August 2014

This is a lovely old hotel built in the later 1800's. It has large rooms with a wardrobe room, lots of closet space, a fireplace, and comfortable beds. There are many lovely antiques throughout the hotel. The staircase has beautiful bronze railings. The elves toe has two seats built into the wall. It is very handy to the subway and the tran line.

Room Tip: They are all good. The hotel is across the street from the opera house.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Patty W
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Mixed review. Attractive city center hotel. Excellent location next to the Opera House and on the Ringstrasse -- as good a location as you could want if touring Vienna. Perfect staging point for walking all over historic Vienna. Very good front desk staff and helpful concierge. Breakfast was not included, and that's disappointing given the price of the room -- ought to at least throw in a pastry and coffee or something. Our room was a bit on the small side, although the bathroom was very nice and had ample space. The bed was comfortable enough -- not the best not the worst. We liked the hotel the first two nights, but on the third night things changed when some uncontrollable noisy brats moved in. The big problem was the noise from the adjoining room -- unacceptable. Our room had a connecting door that had been sealed off, yet we could hear the children in the adjacent room screaming for two consecutive nights (and their parents then shouting at them to be quiet) -- not the best example of parenting but then I digress. It went on until midnight one night and until 10:30 the next -- yes, we called the front desk and complained and yes the desk called that room (we heard the phone ring loud and clear). Did I tell you our new neighbors woke us up promptly at 7 am? Also, the decor/furnitre/carpet are tired and worn and need to be replaced -- if you've been to the Waldorf in NYC, then you'll know what I mean as our room was just as tired as the Waldorf on a recent visit. The location and staff are great -- however the owners need to refresh the rooms (ours at least) and figure out a way to dampen the room to room noise. I doubt that I would stay here again, unless they refurbish the rooms and put me in one guaranteed to be quiet.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tryntoctheworld
BRISTOL_VIE_GM, General Manager at Hotel Bristol Vienna, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear 'tryntoctheworld'

Thank you for your review. Your feedback is very valuable to us. I very much regret that you experienced some noise from an adjoining room. I understand that my staff tried to help out in contacting the other room but that the outcome was not satisfactory to you. Please accept my apologies for this misfortunate situation - it is definitely not the kind of experience that we are known for. Regarding your comments about renovations I can assure you that we are constantly keeping our rooms up to standard and keep investing in all accommodations (exchanging wall tapestry, carpets, painting etc.). Larger renovations have taken place recently on the Mezzanine floor and our entire ground floor as well as banquet floor. Additional renovation projects comprising other areas are in planning. Thank you again for your comments and your patronage! Kind regards, Gerald Krischek - General Manager

Reviewed 10 August 2014

This magnificent hotel full of old world charm is very conveniently located on the Ringstrasse in beautiful Vienna right across the street from the Opera House. The front desk staff, the concierge, the bellmen, and the restaurant staff aim to please in every way. Its Bristol Restaurant is architecturally a feast for the eye as is the sumptuous food. My room was extremely spacious with a outrgeously large bathroom containing the finest of bath amenities. The beds were extremely comfortable. The maid service was just wonderful and prompt. Five star in every way.
You are a very close walk to Hofberg Palace, House, St. Stephen's Church, and the Jewish Museum.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear 'philipmillermd'

Thank you for your Review posted on Trip Advisor. It is a great pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay and the Services you used. We would be delighted to welcome you back in the near future. Kind regards, Gerald Krischek - General Manager

Reviewed 9 August 2014

I just spent my 5th visit at the Bristol (August 8th-9th/room 662). In previous visits, I lived in Luxembourg and now that I've moved to Hungary, I had the opportunity for my sister to come visit and take in the sights of a world class city only hours away. I've always said the Bristol would be my only hotel in Vienna, but I wasn't blown away with my most recent stay. Overall, I've spent a few thousand EUR plus during previous visits but this stay was different.

1. I had to enter the hotel to look for the concierge to unload my luggage and take care of parking my car. This has never happened before.
2. The receptionist didn't have a clue I had stayed there before and treated me like it was my first visit. This was even after noting that the reception area changed since my last visit, and I was still asked if I needed directions to the elevator??
3. No perks/special welcome - In previous visits, I always felt special. This may have been from the service received from the concierge or reception, complementary upgrades or champagne, extras provided with room service etc. This time nothing...
4. Room Service Meal/Portion Size - While the food is delicious, the size and variety of food provided has decreased.

I was travelling with my sister, who loved your hotel so her review may differ. Who knows, I ranted and raved about the Bristol for the past few years, but I was disappointed with this stay. I'll give the Bristol another try in the near future, especially now that I live so close by, but if the service is repeated, I'll go elsewhere. My review may seem harsh, but I expect more of the Bristol given past experiences.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
BRISTOL_VIE_GM, General Manager at Hotel Bristol Vienna, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear 'Canadian99'

Thank you for your Review posted on Trip Advisor. We do very much value the Feedback of our guests as it helps us to maintain and improve our Levels of Service. Allow me to address your comments in your order:
1. Of course this is not according to our standards - I will look into this matter in detail
2. I will look who checked you in and we will investigate why you did not receive any recognition as a repeat guest.
3. We do always have welcome amenities in the room - I will have a look into this as well and discuss it with my staff. This is absolutely not according to our standards.
4. I will discuss your comments with our culinary team.

I am really grateful for your feedback as it gives us the opportunity to improve our services. I however would at the same time like to assure you that we absolutely want you to come back to us. We are very proud of our many repeat guests. I will take the liberty to contact you also directly to ensure your next stay will make up for your last one. Thank you again for your feedback! Kindest regards, Gerald Krischek - General Manager