“I felt like royalty”

Hotel Bristol Vienna
Ranked #19 of 361 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed 28 September 2009

I cannot say enough nice things about this hotel. The hotel cannot be more centrally located. I travelled with my BFF and she requires a wheelchair for walking any distance, so when I say centrally located, you know I mean it!!

When we arrived at about 9AM, there were no rooms available before the 12PM check out time but the staff upgraded our room to deluxe and we could check in by 10:30. We had room 471 and it was immense with a balcony facing the opera house. The bathroom was the size of a bedroom. There were bathrobes and bath slippers provided. Bottled water and fruit were provided, everyday.

Within the first day of our arrival, the staff were addressing me as Mrs. R_______, as I walked into the lobby and presenting my room key before I said a thing. They were very friendly, respectful and efficient without being intrusive. The concierge was also helpful.

I loved the old charm combined with the cleanliness and efficiency of a modern hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank RuthNYC
There are newer reviews for Hotel Bristol Vienna

Reviewed 21 September 2009

Spent an "anniversary" night in Vienna, Bristol being the starting point.
Not cheap but still affordable and well worth the money.
Great location, beautiful deluxe room, helpful staff (organised tickets, restaurant, cabs, pill for my headache).
Right opposite the Opera. Close to the Albertinum, Hotel Sacher, shopping district ...

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HonzaCi
Reviewed 15 September 2009

We stayed in the Bristol for one night using free weekend awards, meaning I paid nothing and so I expected a small room as they didn't make bid money with me and the city was booked.
We checked in after two nights at the Imperal hotel, the sister hotel, also part of the Luxury collection.
The room was awesome. seperate living room and Salon, guest washroom, Bulgari Amenties, corner room with view of the opera, Bose sound system with classical music available. For sure it was one of the best rooms I ever had in a Starwood hotel.
The Bristol itself is a bit old fashioned, but after this experience I tend to call it classical style. The public areas show it has a tradition and many people use it, but it is not the way thay you always think it needs a makeover.
Only downside is that there is no Spa area. pool or saune, but you can use the Meridien fitness club just across the street that is as trendy as the people who life there think they are, but still an option to relax.
If you are an SPG member you get a discount voucher for the Bar what is really inviting.
Austria still has no law against smoking in public areas so you will find smoke here and there and due to the classy target group of the hotel it is even the rich smoke of cigars very often.
If my company would pay for the stay, I would make the Bristol my first choice in Vienna.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank heiron
Reviewed 13 September 2009

We used points to book at this hotel also, but were not dissapointed with our stay. Staying at the Bristol is certainly a little bit pricy, as it is with most 5 start hotel. Upon arrival we thought that maybe the staf would be critical that we book with points. But on the contrary, there were really no issues. the staff was very friendly and our room was perfect.

We noticed also that they come clean the room twice per day. As we went for a visit of Vienna, when we came back there were chocolates on the bed and carpets that had been put close to our bed space. We are not travelling often in 5 star hotels, but maybe this is common. The room was large and there was a long alway finely decorated to get to it. Everything was super clean. The bathroom was also very nice and richly decorated.

This hotel has also a great location for discovering Vienna. It is located just next to the Opera and a short walk from the old city streets. The only drawback to this hotel could be the price, but if you are looking for a luxury location, this just might be the place to stay at.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 September 2009

Our family spent two nights at the Hotel Bristol in Vienna during mid August. We had a very nice stay and would definitely recommend this hotel to others.

We reserved a deluxe room, which was elegant, comfortable, and spacious and included a fireplace, a balcony, and lots of closet space. (We counted more than 60 hangers in the 4 closets!) The room easily accommodated two adults and our teenager, who slept on a roll-away bed. The bathroom was also large and elegant. Even though we did not a reserve an Opera House view, our room was on an upper floor and faced the pedestrian walkway behind the hotel, so we had a partial view of the opera house from our small balcony.

The hotel is within easy walking distance of most of the major attractions in the city center. In addition, there is a tram stop and a U-bahn station right near the hotel, so it’s fairly easy to get everywhere from the hotel.

The staff was professional, friendly and helpful. The fitness center is on the top floor with a nice view and was well equipped.

My only complaint is that internet access and breakfast at the hotel are very expensive if they are not included in your rate. However, there are plenty of cafes and restaurants nearby for breakfast.

Overall, we had a great time and would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank bossids
Reviewed 1 September 2009

I have never written I review before, but I thought Bristol Hotel definitely deserves one. We stayed there in August 2009. We booked this hotel with Starwood Points for 12,000 points per night. We stayed there 3 nights so it cost us 36,000 points. For people not familiar with Starwood program, you basically need to spend $36,000 dollars to get 3 free nights at this hotel. I was our 10 year wedding anniversary trip and I let them know via e-mail that prior to our arrival. It was our 1st time booking with points and I tell you the treatment you get is atrocious. Our confirmation said 30m2 room. The size of the room we got was about half that size, and when we requested to check a different room we were told that this is what you get for booking with points. The water in the shower did not go down every night, but they were quick to send staff over to fix it (not that we wanted to be bother over and over again). We were never even offered a free breakfast or something for the trouble. Our wedding anniversary was never acknowledged, even thought they confirmed that it would be via e-mail. Only thing this place has going for it is location, which was great for a change.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
GMVienna, General Manager at Hotel Bristol Vienna, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2009

Dear Reviewer,

thank you very much for your honest feedback. As I had mentioned in my correspondence with you we have taken your feedback very seriously in order to avoid a recurrence in the future.

We will indeed remove the erroneous information about room sizes both from our web site and from the confirmations, as the size of the classic rooms can vary. The room you stayed in measures indeed only 28 square metres - please accept my apologies for the shortcoming.

Your e:mail correspondence with our customer service department in Canada sadly was not forwarded to the hotel and therefore we were not aware of your wedding anniversary. Again I would like to apologize for this.

Our performance did unfortunately fall short of what you rightly expected from us. I nevertheless hope that you will accept my invitation to return to the Hotel Bristol on your next visit to Vienna and thus give us a second chance, so that we can ensure that we make up for the disappointment you experienced.

Kind regards from Vienna,