“Excellent location”
Review of Pension Suzanne

Pension Suzanne
Ranked #125 of 359 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Just back from 4 day visit to Vienna. Pension Suzanne is in excellent location within a 2 min walk of Opera House and 6/7 min walk of Stephensplaz. Very safe area, very comfortable strolling around at 10.30/11pm. Lovely breakfast, very helpful staff - facilitated printing of boarding passes, provided umbrellas. Large rooms with kitchenette, all very clean. Our only gripe is that there are carpets everywhere. I did see a timber floor in some visitors photos so perhaps they are gradually changing over from carpet to timber flooring which would be a very positive move.

Room Tip: Choose a room to the rear of premises if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
michael_strafinger, Inhaber at Pension Suzanne, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your very kind Feedback at Tripadvisor. We are very happy, that you were so satisfied with our Location, our breakfast, the friendliness of our staff and the cleanliness of our rooms. Hope to welcome you again whenever you return to vienna - please let us know in advance that you prefer a room with carpets (most of our guests prefer carpets).

Reviewed 25 May 2014

We just returned from our stay in Vienna and Pension Suzanne. It worked out perfectly for us - the staff was very helpful, our room good sized with a large bathroom area, an elevator, and good breakfasts. It is easy walking distance to all the sights in the old town - just around the corner from the Opera House, a 10-minute walk to St. Stephen's Cathedral, and ATMS nearby. We picked up a rental car on our way out of Vienna and the rental agency was 5 minutes away. A perfect stay in a most beautiful city.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for taking time to send such a phantastic Report to Tripadvisor. We are very happy, that you were so satisfied with our Location, your room, our breakfast and the friendliness of our staff. Hope to welcome you again whenever you return to vienna

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Incredible value for a spot so close to the opera. Very nice friendly management. Plan on a third stay there next year. We nearly always follow Rick Steves' recommendations and haven't been disappointed yet. Just a reminder that they like to be paid in cash.

Room Tip: The apartment in the annex is our choice
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank hilthornburrow

Dear guest,
Thank you so much for your very possitive comment at Tripadvisor.
We are very happy that you were so satisfied with our staff and our price value. Thank you for booking with us next year again.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Location

Rick Steves, of whom I am a groupie, recommends staying in small local places like Pension Suzanne. I tend to favor places close to the train stations, because on the day I move on, I want it to be easy and fast to get to the train. I get my money's worth out of my Eurail passes, so I tend to move every day or two. Often, especially the first two or three days of a trip, I will stay in a larger city and day trip out.

Often, Rick's close to the ground motto and my close to the bahnhof motto resulted in conflicts. Moreover, I am an air conditioning sort of guy and frequently Rick's little places cannot make that investment, and support the operational costs with a European clientele that does not demand it.

But for some reason, I decided to stay in the heart of the action on this visit to Vienna. And Pension Suzanne is unquestionably the heart of the action in Vienna. If you interpret action to mean noise, it is not. It is simply on a side street next to the Opera, and at the historic area of Vienna where you will do 90% of your sight seeing.

Pricing

Pricing seems fair for the location in Vienna. But keep in mind that there is no air conditioning. In the summertime, that is a very big deal for me. I was here at the vary beginning of May and the weather was cool enough that I was comfortable with my windows open. However, based on my experiences Europeans do not value air conditioning like Americans do. (A young European told me that when he visited the USA he was always cold in restaurants and hotels.) Even in high hog business class hotels that claim to have air conditioning, you might well find that that they have throttled it to the point that you are still uncomfortable (biting tongue to resist political commentary). So you have my best thoughts on this matter.

Room

This was the by far the largest room that I had on this trip. It even had a little kitchenette, which I made no use of. Plumbing all worked fine with good water pressure and hot water.

Booking

For the best rate, do not use a booking service like hotels.com or expedia. Write the Pension Suzanne an email with the specifics of what you need. I ended up with the little efficiency because I went through a booking service and that is what they had in their inventory. I don't know for sure, but I suspect the hotel actually had a smaller less expensive room available, but they were already on the hook for the booking commission for the room I bought.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank Kerwin G
michael_strafinger, Inhaber at Pension Suzanne, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your very positive Feedback on Tripadvisor !
We are very happy that you were so satisfied with our Location, the room, and the Price value.
Airconditon we don`t have but all rooms have fans and most of our rooms are facing to the courtyard so they are very quiet and People can sleep with open Windows. So normalay its no Problem and our guest are also very happy during summertime with our Hotel.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

We arrived late without notifying the hotel. The proprietor waited for us despite having a pending engagement. We asked directions for the location to return our rental car. Done! We asked where we could find gas to fill up the rental before turning it in. A Google search found the nearest one, but it didn't show hours. He then called them to see if they were open. No answer. So he called a friend who lived near the station to check and see if it was open. That is SERVICE. The room was very nice. We were right on the main street, but the windows sealed out all the noise. The hotel is in a prime location, and the breakfast was excellent. We highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sclhbob
michael_strafinger, Inhaber at Pension Suzanne, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your phantastic comment on Tripadvisor.
We are very happy, that you had such a good time with us and certainly it is always a pleasure for us to help and answer all questions of our guest they have. Also its always nice to hear that you wers so satisfied with our Location, the room and the breakfast. Perhaps next time you ask for a room not facing to the street (we have soundprotected Windows, but if you open the Windows it could be a Little bit loud, we are in the absolutely inner Center of vienna). But 80% of our rooms are facing to the courtyard, so they are very quiet.
Hope to welcome you again

Reviewed 1 May 2014

I chose this hotel based on Trip Advisor reviews and because of what seemed to be a good location. In fact to say it is a good location is a huge understatement, because it is a brilliant location, right at the start of the Kärtner Strasse, 30 seconds from the Opera, and within easy walking distance of museums, cafes, restaurants and so many wonderful places, too numerous to mention. The hotel itself is located in a modest building and the rooms, furnishings and presentation are also modest. However, it is spotlessly clean, the beds are comfortable, our room was absolutely quiet at night and the breakfasts were lavish, generous and first class. Pension staff were extremely helpful (especially the delightful Maria) and I have never encountered such efficient room cleaning - the room was always perfectly cleaned while we were at breakfast. For the price charged, it was a gift. I unhesitatingly recommend this pension and would return there, enthusiastically.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your very positive Feedback on Tripadvisor.
It is a pleasure for us to reed that you were so satisfied with our Hotel - especially with our location, your quiet room, our breakfast, our room cleaning and the friendliness of our staff. Thank you so much and hope to welcome you again whenever you return to vienna.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Beautiful place, great breakfast, and one of the best locations in the city. It was very convenient to have a hotel right at the center of the city and just a few steps from a major U-bahn station. This made it easy to get everywhere and to stroll around town at night. Their proximity to Cafe Sacher is also a huge plus. We stayed at the same time as a huge student group, but it was perfectly quiet in our room at night. The room itself had nice decorations (loved the daybed) and was very clean. Breakfast is buffet style and delicious. The elevator is tiny and slow, but I'm just glad there was an elevator (I have a slightly bad knee). Beautiful, comfortable, and convenient. I would definitely recommend it!

Room Tip: We were on the second floor conveniently located right next to breakfast.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kalikoz
michael_strafinger, Inhaber at Pension Suzanne, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you so much for your very positive Feedback on tripadvisor.
It is a pleasure for us that you were so satisfiedwith our hotel especially with our Location, the furniture of your room and our breakfast. Sometimes People must wait a Little bit for the Elevator, because he is a Little bit slow, but most of our rooms are on the first and second floor - so many People walk up. But the levator should be renovated wihtin the next few month and then he should be faster.
We hope to welcome you again whenever you return to vienna
Michael