“OK hotel”

Ranked #275 of 360 Hotels in Vienna
Coventry, United Kingdom
“OK hotel”
Reviewed 6 May 2013

This hotel is OK but don't get too excited by all the pictures as I assume this is just in one or two of the rooms. Our room was a pretty standard room but was really odd because the bathroom had a sliding door which was shared between the toilet and the shower (i.e. only one could be used at once) which was made of a frosted glass (so not completely opaque).

The room was clean but we had been allocated a smoking room so I'd check next time before unpacking. It wasn't too bad, just a musty smell.

The location is good - around 15minute walk to the centre through the park which was nice.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike_and_Catherine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Turkish first
Mumbai
Reviewed 20 January 2013

Goldene Spinne, or Golden Spider in English, is no place to stay for tourists! It is one of the few hotels that I have stayed in, which looks presentable from the outside, but is a rip off from the inside. Right from the time I checked-in, Goldene Spinne had been a disappointment, starting from the receptionist (owner) to the room quality to the service quality. As soon as I stepped into the room, the strong stench of dust greeted me. When I enquired about the same, I was told that the room had been cleaned just 30 minutes back. When I asked for the personnel so that it can be re-cleaned, I was told that all the staff had already left for the day (it was 7:00 pm local time). I requested for a room change, but was informed that no room was vacant, when clearly the receptionist dashboard showed 80% keys hanging from their room numbers. But yes, all tourists are outside, roaming the city, after having deposited the keys at the reception. Fair enough, I struggled through the night. Next disappointment stop was the breakfast, with virtually everything dumped onto a small table, which they had described as "a lavish inter-continental breakfast menu". I checked out 1 day earlier (I had a 2 night booking, at 82 euros a night fro a double bed-room) and went to Pentahotel, a much better place to stay.

Room Tip: Do not stay!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank No-Questions-Asked

Travellers are raving about these Vienna hotels

Tokyo
Reviewed 15 December 2012 via mobile

I am writing this in the hotel in which I am going to comment. I do agree that this hotel is clean and the staffs are nice. However, I was allocated in a room for smokers. My reservation confirmation email says nothing about the smoking preferences, as there was no section to choose. Nevertheless when I checked online confirmation, after noticing the smell, I noticed that my reservation was changed to "preferring smoking room". As I have a sort of allergy, I asked to change the room to the reception but there was no luck. I think the attitude quite unfavourable, and will ask them to cancell my stay for tomorrow for this reason.

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank nycarter
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2012

We recently spent four nights at this hotel. We chose it due to its keen prices and location close to the Wien Mitte station and its relative proximity to the Innere Stadt of Vienna. Take the S7 train from the airport rather than the CAT as this is only 4 Euros each way and stops within 150 metres of the hotel. Take the Stadtpark exit from the underground station, turn right at street level and the hotel is just across the road.
In truth, the hotel is quite basic but the staff were very helpful and the breakfast was adequate in the rather small breakfast area. When booking, I asked for a room overlooking Stadtpark and was delighted to get this. The views from our 4th floor room were excellent, particularly at night when the Stefansdom was floodlit across the park. The room was smallish but comfortable and the bathroom was large with a corner spa bath. The downside of our room with a view was that it also overlooked the railway and there was noise from this all day and for much of the night!
From the hotel we were able to walk to the main sights in Vienna, including the Cathedral, the Hofburg Palace, the Belvedere, Karlskirche, Opera and Naschmarkt.
Hotels close to railway stations can be rather seedy but this was not. In fact, its location between the Intercontinental and Hilton illustrates what a great position it had. There are not many restaurants in the immediate vicinity but you can pick up food from the Spar supermarket at the station where there are a number of places to eat there if you have not had your main meal during the day.
All in all, a good place to stay if you want excellent value for money. However, do watch out for vacuum cleaners which seem to be left close to stairways on each floor!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Seasonedtravellers50
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 11 November 2012

Goldene Spinne was the cheapest 3 star hotel in Vienna when we were looking for a place to spend a night in the capital of Austria before a flight early in the morning.

Usually I try to choose hotels of a bit upper quality and this time I worried a lot about the place. However, I need to recognize that the worries were groundless.

Let's start with the location: it's absolutely unbeatable. 5 minutes from the Ring across a beautiful central city park. Don't be afraid of a railway nearby the hotel, we have not heard a single train's noise during the night.

The hotel itself is of course unpretentious, but what would you expect paying EUR 60 for a night in central Vienna?

It's funny, but the the bathroom seemed to be bigger than the living room itself. The room was very clean and a sleep quality was fine.

What I really didn't like at all bout this hotel it's a dining room. I don't know about the meal's quality, but the interiors there are really gloomy.

I was also very disappointed when I asked a guy on the reception to call us a taxi to the airport equiped with a mobile payment card terminal. The guy ensured us that he would take care of that. Can you imagine how I was surprised when already at the airport a taxi driver told me that he doesn't accept the cards?! This situation really spoiled my impression about the hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank from_moscow
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 2 September 2012

At first glance it does not seem much of anything. But we got a beautiful room with huge and super comfortable bad! The room was large enough for a couple, with a sufficiently large wardrobe. Absolutely excellent was bathroom with large bathtub, two sinks in a massive marble slab and a small balcony to the courtyard. All in the style of thirties.
Breakfast buffet was served in a small poor room, but the quality and range of food, as well as service, was very good. There is no air-condition, no wi-fi connection, no minibar. But if you need just perfect place to sleep close to the city centre, you got it!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Petr H
Glyfada, Greece
Reviewed 3 May 2012

I have got the feeling that is a hotel by the hour, but we did not have any problem.
We stayed one night because we wanted to be close to the train for the airport.
No complain, but the hotel does not have air-condition, so if you go there in the summer you may have problem because you cannot open the windows due to noise from the trains.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends