“Coffee Please”
Review of Hotel Das Triest

Hotel Das Triest
Ranked #117 of 359 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I arrived at the Trieste last night and found it to be just as stylish and charming as I expected. Check in was smooth and easy, and our room is elegant and comfortable, though I do question the decision to crowd the room by placing the computer/tv on a separate cart rather than on the desk, where there is plenty of space for it. Nonetheless, the room is beautifully proportioned with two tall windows overlooking a quiet and picturesque courtyard.

My only complaint: coffee or the lack of it. I can't recall the last time I was in a hotel that didn't provide some arrangement for self-serve coffee in the room. For example, I just came from the Josef in Prague, where each room has a Nespresso machine with a wide assortment of coffees. Here at the Trieste I had to get dressed, go down to to the restaurant and pay 4 Euros for a single cup of coffee. I believe the only in-room alternative would have been to have that same cup brought up for an additional service charge of another 5 euros, bringing the total cost of a cup of coffee to 9 euros. I understand that hotels need to make a profit on food and beverage, but guests need a convenient and reasonably priced way to start the day with coffee in their rooms.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard are very quiet.
Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
HotelDasTriest, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Hotel Das Triest, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2014

Dear jamesgauer!
Thank you so much for your superb review. We feel more than grateful that you've enjoyed your stay with us at Das Triest!
Your kind comments regarding your recent stay are very important to us and we will consider them for our future improvments.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Let me start with the location first, it isn't right in the centre but relatively close enough for some nearby attraction and the public transport is pretty accessible.

The room that I got was facing the street and yes it was noisy at times when I want to rest undisturbed. So a word of advice for those who want to stay in this hotel, try to request for the room facing the courtyard, not for its view because there's nothing to see there but, for its quite atmosphere it offer during time of rest.

The hallway, door of the room and even on the bathroom gave me an impression that I was on a ship with its theme. The room is equipped with iMac which served as TV with adequate channels, radio and can also be use for internet browsing. The room also has a mini bar and safe vault. As for WiFi access, the connection was strong even in the 5th floor.

Like most of the previous review, some of the toilet fixtures were broken like the shower in my room. Not that this was a big deal for me but I was pleased that one of the staff (forgot his name but he said he was Filipino) quickly offered us to a different room while he tried to fix the shower handle.

As for the breakfast buffet, they served continental breakfast with enough to choose from although I don't have anything to say about the quality of the food they served because there was nothing quite special about it. The atmosphere is quite cosy though and you can also have your breakfast in the courtyard.

I would like to commend most of the staff in this hotel who were service minded, helpful and for their bright smiles (including the female manager, which I don't know her name but her face was on the page of their brochure). If not for these staff I could have easily forget my stay in this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose the room facing the courtyard
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ulrick

Dear Ulrick!
On behalf of the entire team here at the hotel Das Triest I would like to thank you for your very kind review regarding our service and staff and for choosing our house for your recent stay in Vienna.
It seems that we were not able to fulfill all your expectations, so I truly hope you will give us another chance in the future!
Michael Willar

Reviewed 19 April 2014

I have to agree that the 5* rating for this hotel is overstated, but since it's ranked as a five star, my review will be based on other five star establishments as benchmark.

First of all, the lady at the reception was very energetic, friendly and helpful. I commend her for her service. Secondly, the hotel was nice enough to prepare a rollout bed for my son ahead of time. However, upon reaching the room, there was only the bed, the pillow and the blanket without any sheets or covers. This was fixed shortly after we told the reception, which was nice, but one would expect this to have been done prior to our check in.

Having arrived tired, we took a quick shower prior to heading out again and the shower hardware (specifically, the handle) literally came apart. There must have been some loose screws but this shows how the hotel may be in need of a refurbish. Nobody will complain about low water pressure since after each shower, the bathroom floor always flooded. On the upside, the included amenities (shampoo, shower gel and lotion) were of great quality. The thin towels did not bother me as much as they may not be fluffly but they were still absorbent enough.

Since we needed internet connection to plan our activities for the day, wifi connection was very important to us, but we found it very very unreliable. The Mac in the room was a nice touch, but we couldn't switch from one mode to another (i.e., from TV to internet and/or viceversa) without rebooting the computer. This was not a user error since we had to ask the hotel for help on this and they couldn't fix this without a reboot.

Location wise, it was close to the Opera House (about 10 min walk) and half a block away from a supermarket. However, in order to get to Innere Stadt, we had to pass by a block of seemingly homeless people. Though they never bothered us, I would not have chosen to walk alone at night.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank PPPianissimo
HotelDasTriest, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Hotel Das Triest, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Dear Marisa 527!
Thanks for taking the time and sharing your experiences with the TripAdvisor community.
It seems that we were not able to fulfill all your expectations, although you made some very good remarks on our hotel and especially our staff!
I hope you will consider Das Triest in the future again to show you that we can perform a whole lot better! Please feel free contacting me personally at any time and I'll take care on your reservation.
Best regards

Reviewed 4 April 2014

We stayed here for only 2 nights (thankfully). This hotel is a 3* hotel at best, but was represented as a 5* by Hotels.com. Small room with queen bed (represented as a king in the description) old, cheap furniture with a lot of wear and tear. The mattress was alright. The two pillows that were provided were quite flat and uncomfortable and provided zero support. The drapes were old and had tears on the bottom. The bathroom had a leaky faucet and towel hooks that were dangling upside down on the wall. The tub didn't look clean and the plastic seal that was supposed to be attached to the shower door fell off and allowed water to leak all over the floor if you used the shower. The towels were old, thin and extremely worn. We were extremely disappointed to end up at this hotel, especially after staying at a true 5* in Budapest prior to arriving in Vienna. The only positive comment I can offer is that the location was very convenient, being that it was close to the Opera and the main shopping area. I would not choose to stay at the Das Triest again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank QueenVictoriaBoston
HotelDasTriest, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Hotel Das Triest, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Dear QueenVictoriaBoston!
It seems that we were not able to fulfill all your expectations for which I am very sorry! We are constantly renewing and renovating our rooms and I would really like to apologize if the standards in your room did not meet your expectations.
I truly hope that you will visit us in the future again to show you that we can do a whole lot better and please feel free to contact me personally if you need any assistance.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

We stayed in this hotel for 4 nights , and basically just used it as a base, as we were on bed only, breakfast was €22 which we thought was very expensive. The reception area and bar in the hotel were very clean and well kept. The bedroom was clean,although a little tired, the bathroom was clean,although the shower over the bath was very ferocious and couldn't be turned down, and flooded the bathroom floor, and the towels were thread bare, not what you would expect from a 5 star hotel! The pillows were excellent and there was no problem in finding me an extra one. It would have been a nice touch to have had tea and coffee making facilities in the room. Our room overlooked the court yard, which I requested, and was fairly quiet but we could still here the rumble of the tram, but it didn't keep us awake. The reception staff were very knowledgeable about restaurants and how to get to places, especially Alexandra, any hotel would be glad to have her working for them. The location was good just a few minutes to the underground, which was very easy to use, and about a 10min walk to the Opera. I would recommend this hotel to others, and hope the towels are replaced.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear annette90!
On behalf of the entire team and especially Alexandra here at the hotel Das Triest I would like to thank you for your very kind review and for choosing our house for your recent stay in Vienna.
I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you have experienced with the towels, we are already replacing all of the old ones.
I hope you will consider Das Triest in the future again. Please feel free contacting me personally at any time and I'll take care on your reservation.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

the hotel close to the city centre just a few hundred meters from karlsplatz tube station so easy to get to from the airport. room good size. shower over powerful and no lock on bathroom door which did always shut first time. Could not switch tv computer on when got back one day but this was sorted in a few mins. Was able to leave luggage when we arrived and was taken up to our room which was a good touch. overall a good hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014

Dear 1111Ipswich!
We feel very happy that you have enjoyed your stay with us, our service and the way our team treated you.
Further we are very grateful that you have taken time to share your experiences with us.
Hopefully we are able to welcome you again in our hotel!

Reviewed 26 March 2014

I know this place for a couple of years, but it became year by year worse. The nice the place that I knew from the late 90ies developed in a negative way down to a 3 star bed-and-breakfast. Food and place are still good, but rooms are used and sold. No refurbishment since I know the place! Service is not existing any more. They are not interested in guests, not well trained, they seam to be a bit unprofessional and unleaded. To order a cafe during the day is a real hard task! It easier to join one of the cafe stores nearby the hotel.
In total the hotel Das Triest has been a perfect design hotel with a 5 star service. but that´s years ago. That´s over! As I quote already in the title " they lost over the last years...".
There are a couple of new hotels in Vienna. same style, but real 5 star service and the feeling of these boutique hotels that we like so much! I recommend a new place to go and stay in Vienna: The Guesthouse. Much better and really downtown. Further I figured out why The Guesthouse is that good: the old director of Das Triest became the new head of The Guesthouse. The new director of Das Triest I have never seen. However, some other guests told me due to the bad service and performance there is no new director. But from my point of view these are rumors.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
HotelDasTriest, Manager at Hotel Das Triest, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Dear Robert_D_LA,

First of all we would like to thank you very much for taking time to write us your review.

We are extremely sorry that you are not anymore satisfied with our hotel and that our service does not meet your expectations. One of our most important main claims is that all guests feel welcome and at home. As you might know we have many long-term employees in our team.

I am always very concerned about our guests and try to meet many personally. Unfortunately, it is not always possible to know all. However it would be a pleasure for me to get in contact to you personally and if you agree I kindly ask you to send me your contact details.

In regards to the refurbishment we would like to inform you that we continuously perform maintenance activities in the hotel.

I truly hope that you give us the chance to get in contact with you and it would be a great pleasure for us to welcome you again at “Das Triest” to convince you of the contrary. Looking very much forward talking to you personally I remain with

kindest regards