“A very comfortable stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Das Triest

Hotel Das Triest
Ranked #84 of 367 Hotels in Vienna
Bromley, United Kingdom
“A very comfortable stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed three nights in Das Triest for a short break away to Vienna. Although the location isn't as central as others (it's a 15 minute walk), I have a feeling you get a bit more peace at nighttime! We requested a room courtyard facing as that had been recommended on Trip Advisor and it was very quiet. The reception staff were always smiling and helpful. Our room wasn't fussy but had a clear modern style to it. The best things were the Apple TV (and you could use it as a computer too) and the Molten Brown goodies in the bathroom! The shower was extremely powerful so difficult to wash and not get your hair wet! The bed was very comfortable and our room was cleaned and tidied to a very high standard every day. I would definitely return.

• Stayed May 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HotelDasTriest, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Hotel Das Triest, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Dear Susannah D.!
We are more than happy that we could fulfill all your expectations and that you have enjoyed your stay with us.
Of course we will share your comments with our entire team!
Well, I think there is nothing else to add, than saying: “Thank you for being our guest”!
Please feel free contacting me personally at any time, so I can take care on your reservations.
Revenue & Reservations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

Poorly maintained hotel, barely a 3 star, let alone a 5 star. Playing cool music doesn't paper over the cracks! Rooms are dingy and not luxurious. Furniture and fittings are dirty and not well maintained. Needs about EUR1M spent on it to bring it up to the standard of 4 star hotels in Vienna. Only saving grace is a nice garden area for afternoon tea and an excellent Italian restaurant, almost 1* Michelin. If you want a great dining experience and are prepared to put up with only adequate accommodation, this is the hotel for you.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank BarnesMassive
Dear BarnesMassive!
Thank your for taking time and sharing your experiences at Das Triest!
It seems that we were not able to fulfill all your expectations.
We are constantly renewing and renovating our hotel, so hopefully you will give us another chance in the future to show you that we can do a whole lot better!
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

I arrived at the Trieste last night and found it to be just as stylish and charming as I expected. Check in was smooth and easy, and our room is elegant and comfortable, though I do question the decision to crowd the room by placing the computer/tv on a separate cart rather than on the desk, where there is plenty of space for it. Nonetheless, the room is beautifully proportioned with two tall windows overlooking a quiet and picturesque courtyard.

My only complaint: coffee or the lack of it. I can't recall the last time I was in a hotel that didn't provide some arrangement for self-serve coffee in the room. For example, I just came from the Josef in Prague, where each room has a Nespresso machine with a wide assortment of coffees. Here at the Trieste I had to get dressed, go down to to the restaurant and pay 4 Euros for a single cup of coffee. I believe the only in-room alternative would have been to have that same cup brought up for an additional service charge of another 5 euros, bringing the total cost of a cup of coffee to 9 euros. I understand that hotels need to make a profit on food and beverage, but guests need a convenient and reasonably priced way to start the day with coffee in their rooms.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard are very quiet.
Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear jamesgauer!
Thank you so much for your superb review. We feel more than grateful that you've enjoyed your stay with us at Das Triest!
Your kind comments regarding your recent stay are very important to us and we will consider them for our future improvments.
Copenhagen
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

Let me start with the location first, it isn't right in the centre but relatively close enough for some nearby attraction and the public transport is pretty accessible.

The room that I got was facing the street and yes it was noisy at times when I want to rest undisturbed. So a word of advice for those who want to stay in this hotel, try to request for the room facing the courtyard, not for its view because there's nothing to see there but, for its quite atmosphere it offer during time of rest.

The hallway, door of the room and even on the bathroom gave me an impression that I was on a ship with its theme. The room is equipped with iMac which served as TV with adequate channels, radio and can also be use for internet browsing. The room also has a mini bar and safe vault. As for WiFi access, the connection was strong even in the 5th floor.

Like most of the previous review, some of the toilet fixtures were broken like the shower in my room. Not that this was a big deal for me but I was pleased that one of the staff (forgot his name but he said he was Filipino) quickly offered us to a different room while he tried to fix the shower handle.

As for the breakfast buffet, they served continental breakfast with enough to choose from although I don't have anything to say about the quality of the food they served because there was nothing quite special about it. The atmosphere is quite cosy though and you can also have your breakfast in the courtyard.

I would like to commend most of the staff in this hotel who were service minded, helpful and for their bright smiles (including the female manager, which I don't know her name but her face was on the page of their brochure). If not for these staff I could have easily forget my stay in this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose the room facing the courtyard
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ulrick
Dear Ulrick!
On behalf of the entire team here at the hotel Das Triest I would like to thank you for your very kind review regarding our service and staff and for choosing our house for your recent stay in Vienna.
It seems that we were not able to fulfill all your expectations, so I truly hope you will give us another chance in the future!
Michael Willar
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

I have to agree that the 5* rating for this hotel is overstated, but since it's ranked as a five star, my review will be based on other five star establishments as benchmark.

First of all, the lady at the reception was very energetic, friendly and helpful. I commend her for her service. Secondly, the hotel was nice enough to prepare a rollout bed for my son ahead of time. However, upon reaching the room, there was only the bed, the pillow and the blanket without any sheets or covers. This was fixed shortly after we told the reception, which was nice, but one would expect this to have been done prior to our check in.

Having arrived tired, we took a quick shower prior to heading out again and the shower hardware (specifically, the handle) literally came apart. There must have been some loose screws but this shows how the hotel may be in need of a refurbish. Nobody will complain about low water pressure since after each shower, the bathroom floor always flooded. On the upside, the included amenities (shampoo, shower gel and lotion) were of great quality. The thin towels did not bother me as much as they may not be fluffly but they were still absorbent enough.

Since we needed internet connection to plan our activities for the day, wifi connection was very important to us, but we found it very very unreliable. The Mac in the room was a nice touch, but we couldn't switch from one mode to another (i.e., from TV to internet and/or viceversa) without rebooting the computer. This was not a user error since we had to ask the hotel for help on this and they couldn't fix this without a reboot.

Location wise, it was close to the Opera House (about 10 min walk) and half a block away from a supermarket. However, in order to get to Innere Stadt, we had to pass by a block of seemingly homeless people. Though they never bothered us, I would not have chosen to walk alone at night.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank PPPianissimo
HotelDasTriest, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Hotel Das Triest, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Marisa 527!
Thanks for taking the time and sharing your experiences with the TripAdvisor community.
It seems that we were not able to fulfill all your expectations, although you made some very good remarks on our hotel and especially our staff!
I hope you will consider Das Triest in the future again to show you that we can perform a whole lot better! Please feel free contacting me personally at any time and I'll take care on your reservation.
Best regards
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

We stayed here for only 2 nights (thankfully). This hotel is a 3* hotel at best, but was represented as a 5* by Hotels.com. Small room with queen bed (represented as a king in the description) old, cheap furniture with a lot of wear and tear. The mattress was alright. The two pillows that were provided were quite flat and uncomfortable and provided zero support. The drapes were old and had tears on the bottom. The bathroom had a leaky faucet and towel hooks that were dangling upside down on the wall. The tub didn't look clean and the plastic seal that was supposed to be attached to the shower door fell off and allowed water to leak all over the floor if you used the shower. The towels were old, thin and extremely worn. We were extremely disappointed to end up at this hotel, especially after staying at a true 5* in Budapest prior to arriving in Vienna. The only positive comment I can offer is that the location was very convenient, being that it was close to the Opera and the main shopping area. I would not choose to stay at the Das Triest again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank QueenVictoriaBoston
HotelDasTriest, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Hotel Das Triest, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Dear QueenVictoriaBoston!
It seems that we were not able to fulfill all your expectations for which I am very sorry! We are constantly renewing and renovating our rooms and I would really like to apologize if the standards in your room did not meet your expectations.
I truly hope that you will visit us in the future again to show you that we can do a whole lot better and please feel free to contact me personally if you need any assistance.
uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel for 4 nights , and basically just used it as a base, as we were on bed only, breakfast was €22 which we thought was very expensive. The reception area and bar in the hotel were very clean and well kept. The bedroom was clean,although a little tired, the bathroom was clean,although the shower over the bath was very ferocious and couldn't be turned down, and flooded the bathroom floor, and the towels were thread bare, not what you would expect from a 5 star hotel! The pillows were excellent and there was no problem in finding me an extra one. It would have been a nice touch to have had tea and coffee making facilities in the room. Our room overlooked the court yard, which I requested, and was fairly quiet but we could still here the rumble of the tram, but it didn't keep us awake. The reception staff were very knowledgeable about restaurants and how to get to places, especially Alexandra, any hotel would be glad to have her working for them. The location was good just a few minutes to the underground, which was very easy to use, and about a 10min walk to the Opera. I would recommend this hotel to others, and hope the towels are replaced.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear annette90!
On behalf of the entire team and especially Alexandra here at the hotel Das Triest I would like to thank you for your very kind review and for choosing our house for your recent stay in Vienna.
I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you have experienced with the towels, we are already replacing all of the old ones.
I hope you will consider Das Triest in the future again. Please feel free contacting me personally at any time and I'll take care on your reservation.