“This is Vienna”

Ranked #77 of 361 Hotels in Vienna
Toronto, Canada
“This is Vienna”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We stayed in the Junior Suite for 5 nights on the 1st floor, facing the garden side. The room is clean, spacious, and a true "design hotel". I like the strong water pressure in the shower, sofa, iMac, and the flat-screen TV.

The hotel is 1 tram stop away from the Ring, where the metro stations are within minutes of walk. Tram 62 takes me straight from the Meidling Train Station. Naschmarkt is within walking distance.

The map from hotel has tram lines in there. I found it helpful and better than maps from the guidebook.

Room Tip: Rooms on the garden side are quieter, note that many stores are closed on Sunday.
1 Thank kingyu
HotelDasTriest, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Hotel Das Triest, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear kingyu!
It is a real pleasure to read such a wonderful feedback and it is good to hear that you had a fabulous stay with us.
I hope you will consider Das Triest in the future again. Please feel free contacting me personally at any time and I'll take care on your reservation.
Revenue & Reservations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed at Das Triest for 4 nights and when we booked it seemed a good, nice and central hotel with quite good reviews. We arrived quite late at night and the receptionist was very cold and it felt as we have distracted him from something rather more important. The room was small, not much bigger than the bathroom, not very clean and dated. There was lots of dust and a dead fly on the window the entire time (so not much cleaning in 4 days), the hall smelt of old mold, the towels were old and thin. There were stains on the carpets, pain was coming off the wall in some places and lying on the floor so I could not really walk barefoot to bed. The shower was strong, but it splattered all over the floor. Nice investment in the apple monitors, but I would have preferred a bigger screen and proper internet connection. The hotel lobby and other areas were also dated and the whole hotel felt very much like an average 3 star establishment in a very good location. Lucky Vienna is such a beautiful city and we could stay out of the room as much as possible and went there just to sleep, but even then there was noise (and occasional shakes of the walls) from the trams outside. We would not go back to Hotel Das Triest, previously we stayed at a 4 star hotel and as it was a much better place than this so called 5 star, we will be going back to the lesser rated one.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back
4 Thank Luages
Dear Luages!
It seems that we were not able to fulfill all your expectations, for which I am very sorry!
I do not really have an explanation why our receptionist made you feel unwelcome, we do get a lot of response from other guest regarding his friendliness, but we will advise him about that!
Our housekeeping manager would also like to express her deepest apologies for the inconvenience you had experienced, I can just assure you that this is not our normal standard!
Nonetheless we would like to thank you for your feedback, this will help us to improve our product for all our future guests!
We would be really thankful if you might want to consider us again to show you that we can do a whole lot better than that!
Best Regards
Revenue & Reservation Manager
aberdeen, scotland
Reviewed 26 July 2014

The location is perfect, 5 minute walk to the Opera House and the historical centre. On arrival, the outside looked nice enough but once inside it was underwhelming. The reception and the lobby and the room that we were given suggested it was a 3* at best. The cleaning was below standard, a dead fly was on the window sill from the when we arrived until we left 4 days later.

1 Thank steve2602
HotelDasTriest, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Hotel Das Triest, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear steve 2602!
Thank your for having chosen the Das Triest Hotel for your recently visit at our amazing city and thank you for taking the time and sharing your experiences with the TripAdvisor community.
It seems that we were not able to fulfill all your expectations!
It is true that we do not offer a spacious lobby like some of the old grand hotels, but that was never our intention, as we are proud to be a nice and cosy hotel and for that style and feeling we feel that a lobby like in a grand hotel would not really fit!
I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you have experienced with our housekeeping, I can only assure you that this is not our normal standard and we will forward your comment to our Housekeeping Manager to take appropriate action
Best regards from Vienna
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 23 July 2014

My wife and I stayed in this lovely hotel for 7 nights at a total cost of $742.91: that's US dollars, inclusive of all taxes and fees. Given the central, convenient location -- I walked only a couple of blocks to catch the U-Bahn and the tram -- that seemed to us an incredible bargain. The room was spacious, very quiet (even though it faced a street and was next to the elevator), and air conditioned (I knew others staying in nearby hotels who were pretty miserable without it). The staff was extremely helpful and friendly, and reliable with wake-up calls, and spoke excellent English. While we did not use the mini-bar, we did take advantage of extra space in the refrigerator to store some food. The only negatives were a very expensive hotel restaurant (not a problem, as many grocery stores and restaurants were nearby), spotty wi-fi, two separate duvets on the double bed, a TV in the form of an iMac that didn't work when we tried it, and a shower that splashed water on the floor if we weren't careful. But those problems were all minor (well, maybe except for when the wi-fi winked out). We would definitely be delighted to stay there again. Oh, and they put delicious mints on the end tables by the bed!

Room Tip: Noise isn't an issue, but wi-fi is; maybe ask for a room near the wi-fi source.
Dear MattInAustin!
Thanks for taking the time and sharing your experiences with the TripAdvisor community. We are really happy that you have enjoyed your stay with us especially in terms of our service and amenities we offer.
Although we are very sorry that it seems we were not able to fulfill all your expectations!
But be assured that we are taking your comments regarding the Wi-fi and our Apple computers very seriously and working to improve the things you have mentioned for you and our future guests.
I truly hope that you will visit us in the future soon again and please feel free to contact me personally if you need any assistance.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2014

This was a good hotel in a very good location (about five minutes walk from the ring, which is the centre of Vienna). We had a very good deal (part of a flights package with Expedia) and it was fairly good value. However, it describes itself as a 'design' hotel, whatever that means and I think it could do with more facilities. When we arrived we were allocated a small and somewhat dreary room overlooking the main road but they moved us to a better one. Throughout our stay the staff were helpful and we had few complaints - other than on the Sunday. On that day, our bathroom was not properly cleaned and when I rang to complain to the duty manager they said there was not one on a Sunday. Their tune soon changed when I mentioned the words 'Trip Advisor'. My sense is that everything is scaled down on a Sunday: the restaurant closes at 8pm, which is ridiculous, and when we tried to go into the bar (to watch the World Cup Final) it was locked.

Room Tip: ask for one not overlooking the main road
2 Thank TravelMan956
HotelDasTriest, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Hotel Das Triest, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear TravelMan956!
Thank you so much for your review. We are really sorry that you had the impression that everything was scaled down on Sundays, which is definitely not our intention. The mistake in cleaning your room was unfortunately through to a new and not well enough trained chambermaid, which was a mistake from our housekeeping manager and had nothing to do with the day of the week.
We had to choose one day where our restaurant is not open for outside guests, which fell on Sunday, nonetheless we offer a slightly smaller menu on Sundays as well for all our guests (so the restaurant is not really closed for our hotel guests).
The Bar is open on Sundays as well, unfortunately we had an event where we have agreed with these guests that to they had to leave on 6 pm (the time the Bar opens normally on Sundays), unfortunately they did not hold on to that agreement and we have only been able to get them out of the Bar around 9 pm and then open it for the other guests.
We do have a Manager on Duty who normally works at the reception, unfortunately there was a misunderstanding form one of our receptionists, as she understood that you wanted to talk to the General Manager (who was really not in the hotel on that Sunday).
It´s also not our intention to react on guest complaints only when we hear the word “Trip Advisor”, we always try to handle all wishes of our guests as best as we can and the only thing we care about is the satisfaction of our guests!
Hopefully you will consider DAS TRIEST again in the future to show you that we can offer the best service on every day of the week.
Madison, New Jersey
Reviewed 17 July 2014

My wife and I stayed at Das Triest during our honeymoon for 3 nights in early July 2014. Just for context, we are in our early 30s and are somewhat well traveled.

The location of the hotel is very good at the south edge of the Vienna "ring". The neighborhood is decent, and there are some good places to eat nearby. You are not far from the Karlsplatz metro - about a 5 min walk.

The bed was alright - the pillows were too flimsy for my taste, but the mattress was fine.

The bathroom was ok - the shower was the most elaborate thing I saw all trip, outside of the palaces :) Handles and knobs everywhere - but the door only reached a third of the way down the length of the tub (this is common in Europe), and with the high water pressure, this meant water got everywhere in the bathroom. The towels were probably the worst towels I have ever used. Thin and papery and scratchy. I think they may have provided new ones if I had asked, so I won't count that against them.

The A/C was a bit weak, and the room got hot at times. We also actually had a couple of fire alarms which drove us from our rooms (obviously this is probably rare).

However, the hotel was clean and beautiful. The staff was very friendly. Because it was our honeymoon, we got a room on the top floor with a balcony from which we could see St. Stephens, along with a bottle of champagne, and it was the nicest room we had our whole trip. I feel a bit bad giving only 3 stars, but all those little things add up. I think you will like your stay here, and I understand this was nit-picky, but for me the little things added up.

Dear TheAlbi!
Thanks for taking the time and sharing your experiences with the TripAdvisor community. We are really happy that you and your wife have enjoyed your stay with us especially in the room we upgraded you for your honeymoon.
You are absolutely right that in a luxury hotel like ours such small things should not happen and we are very sorry about that!
We are really working hard to improve our services in that area.
I hope you will consider Das Triest in the future again to show you that we can perform a whole lot better.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Rating it it on the following aspects keeping in mind I booked months in advance so got a good deal including breakfast.
LOCATION - can't beat it - seemingly deceptive but you can walk to practically every sight in Vienna. It may seem that it is not the best located on the map but it is.
Very good connectivity from the underground takes you to connections for Bratislava / Airport by the S7( over ground rail) or CAT (airport express train) just about anywhere.
There are many cafes and restaurants just 30 metres outside of the hotel if you want to try something new or even a Supermarket called Billa in case you want to buy inexpensive water.

STAFF and SERVICE - Impeccable service and very helpful staff, felt welcomed at the reception and also well looked after at the breakfast table. Restaurant staff were very attentive and also had made to order dishes if requested.

HOTEL PROPERTY: A good small hotel, feels private, with very little common areas or but well kept. The Gym is what I call a home gym with a sauna. Restaurant - cafe courtyard was fab and so was the minimalist ( I thought) enclosed restaurant. However with competition just outside the hotel doorstep
(cafes and supermarket)I think their pricing for the restaurant and room service needs to be relooked. Breakfast was good and not an overkill like many buffet breakfast just perfectly adequate.

ROOMS: Slight let down- had all the trimmings such as room slip-ons. Small rooms but the high ceilings which were very welcome. FREE AND HIGH SPEED WIFI- Had a good storage cupboards with a handy safe, table with two armchairs and a MAC which served as a TV and PC- nice touch. I booked a so called superior room but did not feel it. The bed was queen size but strangely was given two separate duvets/ comforters for the two of us. Carpets were good but will need changing shortly. Room was very well looked after by the staff every day.The big let down in the room was the black out curtains were de-hooked at the end and overall width was small allowing a lot of light in the room during the bright summer mornings- this is one of the primary reasons I gave it a 4 ranking. Poor sleep always reduces anyone's experience of the hotel. Curtains surely do need a change.

BATHROOMS: Mix of the old and new which I liked - good toiletries and fab shower power - one of the best I have experienced in any 5 or deluxe 5 star property. Good number of towels replaced when requested.

WOULD I STAY AGAIN - YES !! IF MY BUDGET WAS CONSTRAINED AND I WANTED A VALUE FOR MONEY FIVE STAR PROPERTY then I would go again.

Room Tip: Contrary to many tips on this website - it really does not matter whether your room overlooks the co...
Dear Dan_Wanderer!
Thank your for having chosen the Das Triest Hotel for your recently visit at our amazing city.
Further we are very grateful that you have taken time to share your experiences with us in such a detailled way!
It seems that we were not able to fulfill all your expectations, but be assured that we are taking your comments very seriously and working to improve the things you have mentioned for you and our future guests.