“Excellent Italian Food in Vienna”
Review of Al Borgo

Al Borgo
Ranked #13 of 4,474 Restaurants in Vienna
Price range: US$12 - US$62
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Inner City
Description: We are located in the first district of Vienna between St. Stephen's Cathedral and the city park. Our chef and his team prepare with passion and craftsmanship delicious Italian specialties. The fresh preparation of food is for us a matter of course, as well as a changing menu. Whether the evening by candlelight or sunlight during the day, we pay attention to your culinary convenience six days a week. In this special atmosphere, we complete comfort and modernity. All friends of Italian cuisine are well received at The Ristorante "Al Borgo". the kitchen is open for lunch till 2:30pm and for dinner till 11:00pm
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Booked the place based on the feedbacks seen in TripAdvisor. Location is perfect, restaurant inside very nice. Service was very good and attentive.
Food wise the starters and pasta were excellent. The meat plate (beef filet with truffles) a bit behind expectations. I probably should have chosen the fish which my colleagues took. That looked perfect.
At the end we were offered some drinks on the house which was very appreciated.
Certainly a place we will visit again on our next trip to Vienna.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,253)

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Six of us went to this restaurant on Saturday night Vienna and it was fantastic. From the moment we walked in you could sense quality and service. All the food from starters to deserts was first class. Suggested wines complemented the food which was different to any Italian we had ever been in all agreed best night of holiday!

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Dined here with three English friends on a Friday night. The service was excellent, the location in Central Vienna was good, and the service was excellent. The squid was amongst the most tender I have ever had, the fish soup was excellent, the truffle pasta was beautiful, they have a good and reasonably priced wine list - the Sangiovese we had was great. I thought it very fairly priced on an international basis for the quality provided.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Does not merit its ranking. We were gladly welcome (+) and quickly entertained by an amusebuche (+). Drinks were late to arrive, though (-), and we had to ask for water three times (--). The first course was splendid (octopus salad) (++); the main sadly disappointing. The restaurant proudly marketed their "strawberry week" (+), and I had expected some more imagination than just placing a strawberry on the dish (-). I ordered a involtino di pollo, a delicious dish when executed with a bit of love and passion. Instead i found myself with a vulgar wiener schnitzel about 1 cm thick (!!) with no sauce, but deep fried instead and thus dry inside, with a filling that I would swear it was the same as the courtesy starter. The started costs 2 euro, the rolled thick dry schnitzel with a strawberry 17. clearly not worth the price. So we left one half of it on the dish and left. Disappointed.

4  Thank Javier_19731202
Al_Borgo_Vienna, Inhaber at Al Borgo, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear Javier, we regret not to have met your taste.
However, we must make it clear that you have ordered "Involtino di pollo con prosciutto di Praga e fragole". These are baked chicken rolls with a fill of Prague ham and strawberries - no Wiener Schnitzel. If you prefer Schnitzel with sauce, maybe a German restaurant would have been the better choice.

Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

So I was here on business and explained to the waiter that I wanted the best dish they make because I am only here once! He said the best is not on the menu but recommended pasta with cream sauce, cheese and black truffle shavings! It was fantastic and very reasonably priced! Also love the free wifi and the friendly staff! This is well worth the visit!!!