“Real Italian with great atmosphere”
Review of Al Borgo

Al Borgo
Ranked #16 of 4,268 Restaurants in Vienna
Price range: US$12 - US$59
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Inner City
Description: We are located in the first district of Vienna between St. Stephen's Cathedral and the city park. Our chef and his team prepare with passion and craftsmanship delicious Italian specialties. The fresh preparation of food is for us a matter of course, as well as a changing menu. Whether the evening by candlelight or sunlight during the day, we pay attention to your culinary convenience six days a week. In this special atmosphere, we complete comfort and modernity. All friends of Italian cuisine are well received at The Ristorante "Al Borgo". the kitchen is open for lunch till 2:30pm and for dinner till 11:00pm
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“Real Italian with great atmosphere”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

My partner and I had a super and well priced meal at Al Borgo last week. Great personalities and a kindly priced bottle of Rubrum 2010 were shared with a wonderful meal. Chanterelle Ravioli and a Tuna tartar with Avocado were the starters with main courses of Beef medallions with egg-plant cream and smoked cheese and Bag of veal escalope stuffed with bacon, raisins, pine nuts and sage. Just lovely.

• Visited July 2014

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sydney
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Italian in Vienna ”
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Sought out this stylish restaurant from the trip advisor reviews! Enjoyed the service and the food. The wine was exceptional and the coffee perfecto! Would return again and recommend to other travellers heading to Vienna!

1 Thank isabelladimanno
Krakow, Poland
“One of the best meals in my life”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

This was my last day in Vienna during business trip. I choosed Al Borgo because of good reviews on TA and it was one of the best meals in my life. First of all, I'm vegetarian and I appreciate that in menu are many vegetarian dishes and they are labeled. I ordered Torta salata di spinaci e ricotta con mesticanze di verdure and Ravioli mozzarella e pomodori secchi con salsa di zucchine e noci Ravioli mozzarella e pomodori secchi con salsa di zucchine e noci. Both were fresh and tastefull but also gave me new tastes and flavors. Nice, helpfull service with a sense of humour, Prices adequate to quality, but lower than I expected. Reservations recommended. Hope to back there soon.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank mojitoclassic
Newbury, United Kingdom
“Isn't as good as the reviews suggest”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

My wife and I were only visiting Vienna for a few days, and we wanted to go out for a memorable meal on at least one of the evenings. We were recommended Ristorante Al Borgo by a nice French couple we met at our hotel, who have been coming to Vienna regularly for around 10 years but who also, like us, were not really fans of traditional Austrian cuisine. So we looked it up on TA, saw all the positive reviews and overall high ranking and it seemed to fit the bill, so we booked a table for the following evening.

This is a tricky review to write because quite honestly it wasn't bad, it just wasn't that good or memorable either.

Firstly the waiter was very friendly, treating us like friends in his own home.

The food however was just OK, the pasta was well cooked but the sauces tasted quite a bit over-seasoned (salty). I did note that when I ordered the fillet of beef there was no question as to how I would like it done - it arrived medium, and I'd have preferred it a bit more rare.

Then there was the ordering of wine, we are huge wine fans, and part of our trip had been wine tasting, but in our time in Austria finding a very good full-bodied red had eluded us, and so we fancied a nice Barolo or Nero d'Avola as after all we were in an Italian restaurant. However the waiter took over completely - taking the wine list away and saying "I will choose a nice bottle of red for you". That was actually fine, and we didn't object as we really don't mind taking recommendations, but there was no discussion of price or style, and when the wine came to the table we were shown the label for all of 2 seconds before it was opened and poured, and the wine bottle was taken away and kept on a table away from us. We felt we were never given the opportunity to either see what it was, or say anything if we didn't want it. Plus we didn't find out how much it cost until the bill came. What we were poured was OK, but lightweight and not the robust red we'd been wanting. That was disappointing.

Anyway as I said earlier, its not that it was bad, it just wasn't the memorable or special meal we'd hoped for, and the reviews had lead us to believe we had in store.

• Visited June 2014
3 Thank Stones7
London, United Kingdom
“Must Visit!”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Our hotel was very close to this restaurant and when we went there, we were treated very nicely by GACOMA. When me and my husband wanted vegetarian pasta, he simply said..enjoy your drinks..i will give you the best pasta. Indeed it was the best pasta, i ate. I will definitely visit again if I am in town.

Visited July 2014