“So schlecht Service!!! Nie Wieder”
Review of El Pulpo

El Pulpo
Ranked #1,174 of 4,343 Restaurants in Vienna
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Old University Quarter
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Aufpassen diese Restaurant. Schlecht Service! Rude Stuff. Never come back again. If you come, you will regret. I promise you!!!

Reviewed 29 October 2013

Good seafood tapas,good paella chicken and delicious sangria
It will be a better idea to make a reservation upfront,we were on a Tuesday afternoon and hardly find a table. If the outside terrace is open,it is much better, but from October till May no terrace in Austria is open....
Enjoy!

Reviewed 16 July 2013

The menu written on a blackboard said 13 €. However, after I paid 20.30 € (+ a $2 US bill for extra tip) and left the restaurant, I realized that they had automatically added 1.50 € for "Pan y salsas", which I had never requested.

It is true that the waiter put some bread on the table as well as two tiny containers with sauces that I didn't like and didn't eat either. But he might have asked me if I wanted them, since they were charged an extra 1.50 € (circa $1.96 US)

This is a vestige of the old "Cover Charge" that was commonly added to the check in most French restaurants half a century ago, when I was a student at the Sorbonne in the 1960s, but which gradually disappeared in the 1970s, about forty years ago...

Indeed, some restaurants still add an extra charge for "pan y cubierto" (bread and cover) in Montevideo and in Buenos Aires, where I go every year since 1990, but I don't remember seeing this in Madrid for the past thirty years. Maybe the owner of this Spanish restaurant in Vienna left his homeland more than thirty years ago and ignores that this charge no loner exists...

Therefore, be aware that you will be charged an extra 1.50 € for bread and sauce even if you don't request them and even if you don't touch them.

This being said, I had a fairly good Spanish lunch on Sunday, June 30, 2013, in this little restaurant difficult to find because it is on a small street right behind a big ice cream place in Schwedenplatz, across from the boat terminal, where you take a cruise to Bratislava.

When I saw the name of this place ("Pulpo" means Octopus) I hesitated to get closer because I was afraid that they would specialize in fish and octopus, which I know many people eat. But when I saw that they offered a set menu for 13 € (in fact, 14.50 €...) that Sunday, I asked the waiter what was offered in the menu. Since he said "Chicken Paella", I didn't hesitate to try a Spanish meal, even knowing that I would be flying to Madrid the next day because, as I wrote in other reviews, very few restaurants in Europe offer a cheap menu on Saturdays and Sundays.

I started with a good tomato soup (NO other choice) which was followed by a "Chicken Paella". In Miami they call that "Arroz con Pollo" in Cuban restaurants and, frankly, I prefer the chicken rice made by “Versailles” or “La Carreta” in Miami, or the one I usually have at “Puerto Sagua” in Miami Beach. The reason, in my opinion, is that this Spanish "Chicken Paella" had zucchini in it, which I think goes far better in French "Ratatouille" than in chicken rice.

The third course was a good "Crema Catalana", a sort of custard with a sugar crust on top.

With a small glass (12 cl.) of drinkable Rioja wine at 3.80 € and a very good espresso at 2 €, which I had on their terrace once I had finished eating inside, the total came to 20.30 € (about $26.50 US a/o June 30, 2013), which is OK for a Sunday lunch in Europe.

However, that was twice as much as the 10 € ($13 US) that I would have paid if I had gone to the "Indian Delights" as I had planned originally. This is an Indian restaurant for which I published a review right here July 1, 2012. I returned there for a good and cheap lunch a couple of days before my Spanish experience in June 2013, and learned that they still offer an Indian buffet, but only on Sundays, for under 10 €. With a good beer, I only paid 10 € last year, in May 2012, and I was very satisfied.

But if you want to try an honorable Spanish meal for 14.50 € +++ (without any choice for any of the three courses) and happen to be around this charming square, you should give it a try.

The cook (who I suspect to be also the owner) is very friendly and highly cultured; he knows the Miami area, and he goes out of the kitchen in order to talk with his customers when the place is not full. The waiter is also very friendly and helpful, and he does the best he can to attend the dining room and the terrace all by himself.

And if you stay at the "Ibis Wien Messe" or the "Ibis Budget Wien Messe" right next door (both of which I also commented here in May or June 2012), you may take U1 subway line a few yards from this "Octopus", and a couple of stops later you are in your hotel.

But you may also walk back along the Praterstrasse, then the Praterstern and the Lassallestrasse, which will take you about forty minutes walking slowly.

In that case, BEWARE OF BIKES because, unlike Miami Beach, where the “bike” path is on the street, separated from the traffic by a simple white line on the pavement, in Vienna it is separated from the cars but not from pedestrians sidewalks, and only a painted white line separates here the bikes from the pedestrians. So be careful NOT to step on the bikes path because some folks go faster than Armstrong riding downhill in the “Tour de France”!

2  Thank Efrin_Knight
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Im at el pulpo as we speak. Ordered the classic spanish ham and cheese for starter, my lady ordered maise chips and dip. What came out was maize chips fresh from packet and one slice of bread and chips from the freezer, chips cold and soggy. What on earth were they thinking.

Had two mojitos for starters, lovely fresh mint from the garden. Next two were woefull.
Handed them back, received mojitos without ice then. Handed them back, then reveived mojitos with berro rum or caipirinhos, spelling a bit off sorry, so they taste like a mix between a slush puppy and a good lick of a drunks face.

I wouldnt mind but I could hear the clown who made the secobd round of laughing when they were returned. Im dreading the bill. Absolutely dreading it, I may have to get rude with the only waitor who sems to care.

I feel as if I am being robbed. Im angry, terribly disappointed and cheated. Dont come here.

1  Thank alexdylan
Reviewed 24 November 2012

We finished a Danube cruise and found El Pulpo on the way back into the center for a late lunch. The waitress was very friendly (working to be a professional violinist). The owner stopped to chat and was pleased we are from Bakersfield, California, which was an important town in his student pilot days.
We like Spanish food, and it was very good, particularly the seafood. The recommened wine went well with the food. The room was warm and comfortable, just like the people.
El Pulpo was an interesting break from the Austrian food