“As a whole is up to the 5 stars, but there are a few issues with the overall management that shouldn't happen in GRAND hotel”
Review of Grand Hotel Wien

Grand Hotel Wien
Ranked #28 of 359 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

The location is central, the hotel is perfectly up to the expectations, the spa is nice, but my rating is low because there are things that at this level and specially for a member of LHW association shouldn't happen.
Upon my arrival (about 13.00) my room was not ready, and it took them more than 1 and half hour to set it ready (they did offer me a free cocktail (at 14.00!). I was upgraded room 624, but that is normal for members of LHW if rooms are available, and certainly the hotel was not full. I received my vouchers for continental breakfast, which was good and plenty, but to access at the buffet they asked for 9/10 euro extra, (my package included continental breakfast for 2, but I was alone, so easily they could have recovered the cost). The interesting part (I stood 2 nights) was Internet: the first day while waiting without a room a was given access with a voucher, and I noticed the line was slow, next day I had to login again, and as LHW member I have free Internet, but logging in the offer was for either a free of charge (for all guests) very slow wifi or a faster option at almost 10 euro a day. I called reception for explanation to which choice I was entitled, and after more than one hour of wait without answer I decide to go out for dinner. I mentioned the question to a very efficient lady (unfortunately I forgott her name) and she told me she'd take care. I came back and a nice message explained that LHW members are entitled (as obvious) to the higher speed free option. (I have to clarify that LHW membership is not free of charge, that's why they receive certain agreed conditions).
Finally in the morning I present myself for the check out procedure and I am told that as extra I have the high speed Internet connection option (as resulting from the computer), luckily I had still the written message of the previous evening, so with the excuses was canceled, but when mentioned the lodging cost I tought that the price requested was at least 50 euro's higher than the agreed price (on the LHW booking confirmation) luckily again I had my copy of reservation. Of course again they excused themselves .
My conclusion is that either they have a bad communication system, or a chap management that tries to take small advantages from superficial clients. This is not GRAND at all!

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank gilardoni
Vanessa A, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Grand Hotel Wien, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

Dear Gilardoni,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay at Grand Hotel Wien. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Grand Hotel Wien, one of The Leading Hotels of the World, we continuously strive to meet your needs and expectations; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent any future occurrences.

I am so sorry for all the things that happened. At the time you were checking in we didn't have any other room to give to you. Regarding the internet we spoke to the hole reception team that for all Leaders Club member the business level is for free. I am so sorry for the inconveniences you had during your stay.

Guest Relations & Quality Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,213)

Reviewed 20 August 2013

The Grand Hotel Wien is an elegant hotel in the classic European style. The rooms are traditionally furnished. The decor is old-world elegance. Our room had a couch, coffee table, and two arm-chairs, as well as a desk and chair, in addition to an armoire which held the TV and mini-bar. The bathrooms are spacious and all marble, and most importantly, are immaculate, as one would expect from any hotel in Vienna. The amenities are top notch - Penhaligon's. The rooms are equipped with electric window roll-ups and the windows are traditional European double panes, so that although we had a beautiful view of the Ring, the room was quiet. The breakfast, while on the expensive side at 32 Euros per person per day, was wonderful and both the Grand Cafe Restaurant Manager, Wolfgang Fink, and the Assistant Restaurant Manager, Julius Savel, insure that the food and service are first-rate. Both Herr Fink and Herr Savel make every dining experience in the Grand Cafe perfectly enjoyable. The lively concierge, Walid Masouf, is always helpful and efficient. Last but certainly not least, the Guest Relations Manager, Vanessa Alvarez, is a gem!

The hotel is very conveniently located on the Karntnerring, just steps away from the Oper and the Karntnerstrasse. I would highly recommend the Grand Hotel Wien and would return again without reservation.

Room Tip: We had a room close to the elevator. The hotel is quite large so if you have difficulty walking you...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Vanessa A, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Grand Hotel Wien, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

Dear CALICO90,

We appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at the Grand Hotel Wien. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks. As a member of The Leading Hotels of the World, the hotel continuously strives to meet your needs and expectation.

Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

Yes, the location of Grand is great, but that's all.... Like many others, we thought that Grand is the ultimate experience in Vienna, but we were so wrong! We froze during winter (the windows do not close properly), the hotel staff did not clean the room despite repeated calls to them and it took ages for the bell boys to bring the cars from the parking. And since there are already a lot of 5 stars in the neighbourhood, you might want to think twice before booking with Grand.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank MadaNea
Reviewed 16 August 2013

When we were planning our Europe vacation this year we planned to what we felt would be the best hotel during our vacation. We were not disappointed, to start with the checkin was super and easy, the room was excellent, well maintened, wifi perfect and all the towels free and lovely. We made a request to extend our time in the room as we had a long journey back home to Singapore and this requested was granted without any fuss , questions or hassles , ideal location for everything including the trains and trams. Very very highly recommend to anyone wanting to enjoy the comforts of a great hotel. We will be back and hopefully stay a lot longer. Great job , staff at the Grand Hotel Wein you all deserve a great pat on the back

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BRJP310852
Vanessa A, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Grand Hotel Wien, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

Dear BRJP310852,

Reviewed 8 August 2013

The hotel is located at an excellent location for all needs; leisure & business. The check in and out speed was satisfactory. The hotel provides free wifi internet to the guests, which increases the satisfaction.
The breakfast was not included to our fare and expensive according to our point of biew, as a matter of fact our group decided to have it outside.
The design of the entrance and also the rooms were attractive. The rooms were big enough for all needs and the amenities were adequate and also clean.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Vanessa A, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Grand Hotel Wien, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2013

Dear Laquila,

Reviewed 4 August 2013

There were 3 disappointing things not acceptable (from my point of view) for the hotel of such level:
1) there was unpleasant smell in the toilet;
2) water in the bath flowed out badly;
3) one of tea-saucers in our room was not washed and extremely dirty with the rest of tea of previous guests.
Also the hotel payed no attention on the birthday of my wife during the stay despite the room was booked on her name.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Vanessa A, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Grand Hotel Wien, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

Dear Igor U,

We appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at the Grand Hotel Wien. Thank you for taking the time to write a feedback.

We really want to apologize for the inconveniences you had during your stay. I will forward your comments to our heads of departments and will make sure that we will take care about the issues. As a member of The Leading Hotels of the World, the hotel continuously strives to meet your needs and expectation.

Reviewed 30 July 2013

Although the Grand's Old World airs and location near the heart of Vienna's historic core may make you think it's one of the city's lodging "grande dames", the hotel actually opened as an ANA property in the 1990s. The basic rooms are comfortable and well-appointed, if slightly frayed. High ceilings and large windows help give the rooms a spacious feel. Housekeeping was very good, and everything in the room was in working order.

Service was uniformly friendly and efficient. The concierge staff was especially helpful, with special thanks to Stefano for his help in arranging tickets for a musical performance.

We did not eat at the hotel, in part due to the relatively high prices in the restaurant. Drinks and service in the sidewalk cafe were fine, but unexceptional. The hotel has an excellent location a short walk from the Opera and many of the city's other tourist attractions. Compared with other Vienna hotels we saw in a similar price range and location, the Grand is a bit fusty and dated. If you're looking for solid, predictable comfort and professional service in a convenient location, however, then the Grand is a good bet.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple