“Nice place to stay, but would not return”
Review of Grand Hotel Wien

Grand Hotel Wien
Ranked #28 of 361 Hotels in Vienna
stuttgart
“Nice place to stay, but would not return”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

The Grand Wien hotel is beautiful hotel. Originally booked it because of the location, but we ended up taking a taxi to several locations such as the Palas Schonbrunn. The biggest disappointment was the spa because it rarely opened on time and was often locked during the day. I was advised by the front desk that I could have the door opened during the day by contacting them. Lets be honest, this is a five star hotel. I should not have to contact the front desk to obtain access to a service that should be open. Overall, yes it is a central location but rooms are a bit on the small side and overall value of the service is not up to other five star hotels. Nice place, but would not return. If I was saying in Vienna again, I would not worry about location because taxis are cheap. I would select a decent hotel and enjoy your stay.

3 Thank 17richardf

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Paris, France
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Grand Hotel Wien is a true luxury hotel and has all that comes with it.
Excellent and service-minded staff, rooms tidy and clean and the location is ideal a stone's throw from the Opera and Kärntnerstasse.
Only a few negative points:
Breakfast was NOT included in the already hefty rate and goes for 32 euros/pers. It was obviously impeccable, but one could ask for a bit more for that price.
The TV was quite small and didn't feature that many international (English language) channels.
If one has a problem with women in burqas, one should avoid this hotel which seems to primarily cater for numerous Saudi (or the like) families.

2 Thank pcberlin1
Vanessa A, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Grand Hotel Wien, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Dear pcberlin1,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at Grand Hotel Wien. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Grand Hotel Wien, one of The Leading Hotels of the World, we continuously strive to meet your needs and expectations; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent any future occurrences.

cheshire
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Stayed in this hotel for 4 nights as a surprise to celebrate our silver wedding anniversary.
My husband had already upgraded us, but on arrival we were upgraded further and just after we were shown our room, champagne arrived courtesy of the hotel!
The room was beautiful, it featured a huge bed, sofas and very comfy chairs. WIFI was free and was perfectly adequate.
Our rate included breakfast, which again was really good. Champagne was always available, which we did indulge in on the morning of the anniversary. Hot food is cooked to order.
The restaurant Manager is very worthy of mention. He remembered our names each morning as well as our room number and always made sure we had a table by the window.
The location is excellent.
Would I stay again, yes. The hotel is gorgeous, used the spa every day, but what made it very special was the service.
We have stayed in the Savoy in London and I would honestly say that this compares very favourably.

1 Thank chunkyCheshire
Vanessa A, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Grand Hotel Wien, responded to this review, 30 August 2013
Dear chunkyCheshire,

We appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at the Grand Hotel Wien. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks. As a member of The Leading Hotels of the World, the hotel continuously strives to meet your needs and expectation.

Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We only stayed one night in Grand Hotel Wien as it was a short trip to Vienna but as it was devoted to my Birthday, we made a choice for a more expensive luxurious Grand Hotel. We booked a standard room but due to the problems with the booking system our room had obviously not been booked by us - so we got an upgrade to a suite. It was great! They have really nice classic furniture that makes you think you are back in the old town. The lobby bar with a nice choice of cocktails was also very cosy on a chilly spring evening. We did not take breakfast at the hotel as it seemed pricey, so we just turned around the corner and found ourselves in a nice cafe where the locals come on Saturdays to have breakfast and coffee with friends. If you want to feel as a Viennese, go for this cafe. It also offers great breakfasts for little money.
The location of the hotel is just perfect for a walk in the city or shopping. It is very close to the Opera and shopping streets. The staff in the hotel are all very friendly. I speak English but for those Russians who don't it might be a good thing that they have Russian-speaking receptionists. If you want to have something exeptional, go for this hotel definitely.

Room Tip: Try to have breakfast in a nearby cafe (1 min from the hotel) - much cheaper and a really authentic...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Antonina2013,

Mandello del Lario, Italy
Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

The location is central, the hotel is perfectly up to the expectations, the spa is nice, but my rating is low because there are things that at this level and specially for a member of LHW association shouldn't happen.
Upon my arrival (about 13.00) my room was not ready, and it took them more than 1 and half hour to set it ready (they did offer me a free cocktail (at 14.00!). I was upgraded room 624, but that is normal for members of LHW if rooms are available, and certainly the hotel was not full. I received my vouchers for continental breakfast, which was good and plenty, but to access at the buffet they asked for 9/10 euro extra, (my package included continental breakfast for 2, but I was alone, so easily they could have recovered the cost). The interesting part (I stood 2 nights) was Internet: the first day while waiting without a room a was given access with a voucher, and I noticed the line was slow, next day I had to login again, and as LHW member I have free Internet, but logging in the offer was for either a free of charge (for all guests) very slow wifi or a faster option at almost 10 euro a day. I called reception for explanation to which choice I was entitled, and after more than one hour of wait without answer I decide to go out for dinner. I mentioned the question to a very efficient lady (unfortunately I forgott her name) and she told me she'd take care. I came back and a nice message explained that LHW members are entitled (as obvious) to the higher speed free option. (I have to clarify that LHW membership is not free of charge, that's why they receive certain agreed conditions).
Finally in the morning I present myself for the check out procedure and I am told that as extra I have the high speed Internet connection option (as resulting from the computer), luckily I had still the written message of the previous evening, so with the excuses was canceled, but when mentioned the lodging cost I tought that the price requested was at least 50 euro's higher than the agreed price (on the LHW booking confirmation) luckily again I had my copy of reservation. Of course again they excused themselves .
My conclusion is that either they have a bad communication system, or a chap management that tries to take small advantages from superficial clients. This is not GRAND at all!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank gilardoni
Dear Gilardoni,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay at Grand Hotel Wien. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

I am so sorry for all the things that happened. At the time you were checking in we didn't have any other room to give to you. Regarding the internet we spoke to the hole reception team that for all Leaders Club member the business level is for free. I am so sorry for the inconveniences you had during your stay.

Franklin Park NJ
Reviewed 20 August 2013

The Grand Hotel Wien is an elegant hotel in the classic European style. The rooms are traditionally furnished. The decor is old-world elegance. Our room had a couch, coffee table, and two arm-chairs, as well as a desk and chair, in addition to an armoire which held the TV and mini-bar. The bathrooms are spacious and all marble, and most importantly, are immaculate, as one would expect from any hotel in Vienna. The amenities are top notch - Penhaligon's. The rooms are equipped with electric window roll-ups and the windows are traditional European double panes, so that although we had a beautiful view of the Ring, the room was quiet. The breakfast, while on the expensive side at 32 Euros per person per day, was wonderful and both the Grand Cafe Restaurant Manager, Wolfgang Fink, and the Assistant Restaurant Manager, Julius Savel, insure that the food and service are first-rate. Both Herr Fink and Herr Savel make every dining experience in the Grand Cafe perfectly enjoyable. The lively concierge, Walid Masouf, is always helpful and efficient. Last but certainly not least, the Guest Relations Manager, Vanessa Alvarez, is a gem!

The hotel is very conveniently located on the Karntnerring, just steps away from the Oper and the Karntnerstrasse. I would highly recommend the Grand Hotel Wien and would return again without reservation.

Room Tip: We had a room close to the elevator. The hotel is quite large so if you have difficulty walking you...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Vanessa A, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Grand Hotel Wien, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Dear CALICO90,

Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

Yes, the location of Grand is great, but that's all.... Like many others, we thought that Grand is the ultimate experience in Vienna, but we were so wrong! We froze during winter (the windows do not close properly), the hotel staff did not clean the room despite repeated calls to them and it took ages for the bell boys to bring the cars from the parking. And since there are already a lot of 5 stars in the neighbourhood, you might want to think twice before booking with Grand.

• Stayed September 2012