Grand Hotel Wien
US$112
US$97
HolidayInn.com
1,266 results
All reviewsle cielexclusive roomopera houseold worldturn down servicelobby barexcellent locationfive star hotelelegant hotela wonderful staystate operawithin easy walking distancebeautiful citypublic areasspanish riding schoollarge bathroomcoffee machine
Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

The location is outstanding, walking distance to the state opera, St Stephen's Church and the Winter Palace. The room is medium sized (slightly below an European 5* average), good housekeeping and nice marble finishes. The service itself is rough. First, the front desk clerk failed to offer to escort me to the room as it is customary in most Leading Hotel properties. The waiting time for breakfast is approximately 30 minutes in a line. The front desk person lied to me and told me the hotel was fully booked when I asked about upgrades. This was addressed accordingly and I received the proper apologies. The concierge was wonderful. Check out was a painful experience. Had to wait in line 20 minutes as the clerks had problems as apparently they were using the same password to login to the system. Would seek other 5* properties in the neighborhood for my next time in Vienna.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank docoliver
Vanessa A, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Grand Hotel Wien, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Dear docoliver

Thank you very much for your recent stay at the Grand Hotel Wien.
We appreciate your comment which you posted here on Tripadvisor which we have read carefully. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At the Grand Hotel Wien, we continuously strive to meet your needs and expectations. Therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problems at our restaurant where breakfast is being served in order to prevent any future occurrences.
As well we are sorry that the check out lasted longer than expected. We were experiencing some unforeseen issues with the network which we were nota able to resolve on a short notice.
Please allow me to point out that it was never our intention to hurt your feelings or to make you not feel welcomed at the grand Hotel Wien during the check in procedure.
On the day of your arrival the Hotel did not show any availability for any king size room in certain room categories. That was the reason why we did pre block your reservation into the original room category , which was the superior category. We really tried to do our best to accommodate you with a nice room that has one big bed as you had marked down this preference in your Leaders Club Profile.
I agree that we could have explained this situation during the check in process more detailed, which we obviously neglected. We should have said that there were simply no king size beds available directly. But at no point on that day one of our staff members lied to you.
The rooms we had available that day , and which you would have been able to book had been al equipped with twin beds, in all room categories.

I explained you the situation then short after your check in and your complaint to me and Leading Hotels of the World. I did in fact immediately offer you an upgrade to an Junior Suite with 2 beds which you than denied.

I want to thank you again for taking the time to write a feedback regarding your recent stay at Grand Hotel Wien. I want to apologize again for all the inconveniences you had during your stay and we hope to see again at Grand Hotel Wien to serve you better in the future.

With kindest regards,
Respectfully yours,
Vanessa Alvarez

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Perfect location, lovely room, fabulous bathroom and super concierges. Gorgeous flowers in the lobby and orchids placed throughout the floors. We dealt mostly with Stefano the concierge, but I left something in my room and wrote to Stefano to see if it was found. Marcus followed up since Stefano was on holiday and he has also been great. My compliments to the two of them.

We had many drinks in the lobby level bar and outside. Only negative comment is that I think the waiters there need to get more friendly. Although there was one young man - wish I remembered his name - who was delightful. After a day he remembered us and was very friendly and smiled all the time. Their "Chex mix" was incredible. They have these little orange bites - super hot - but really good. I even asked if there was a store where I could buy some to bring some home. No luck!!

Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Vanessa A, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Grand Hotel Wien, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Dear Charyl L,

We appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at the Grand Hotel Wien. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks. As a member of The Leading Hotels of the World, the hotel continuously strives to meet your needs and expectation.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

This is the third time we have enjoyed a stay at the Grand in Vienna - of course there is the Imperial and the Sacher depending on which torte you prefer. But we always come back to The Grand. The Grand is delightful in every way: rooms are contemplative, quiet and beautifully appointed, staff are friendly but professional and your every whim is granted. Do you need tickets to the Riding School? A huge bouquet of flowers on a Sunday to take to a sick friend in hospital when all the shops are closed? Help when your German runs out at that crucial moment? The bet selection of tours, local or to other countries? You are going to be fine here. If you are off to the opera - which we always are - there is nowhere else to stay, really - 2 blocks to the music (nibble at the bar first) and the most delicious restaurant choices for afterwards. Or the clever cocktails. We have stayed in suites and rooms and all have been lovely.

Room Tip: While it may seem dull,, take a room that overlooks the pedestrian mall - very quiet and dark if you want to sleep in, and you can see the Kartnerstrasse from brekky and the bar anyway.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Jane S,

Reviewed 11 October 2013

Excellent service; knowledgeable concierge staff; and excellent location. The reservation was very efficient, and so was the airport pick-up/drop-off service. All the amenities were available in a gem of bathroom. Wonderful old-style charm. Every attraction was close by the excellent location of the hotel. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Dear Salmi2011,

Reviewed 9 October 2013

I loved this hotel at the first sight and was really looking forward staying there.The hotel is truly Grand with all the old world charm you could possibly want to experience.But the first impression count so much and our experience was somewhat marred by the rudeness of one of the employees on our check in.We arrived by car relatively late( around 6PM),glad,that the GPS did not fail us and got us to the hotel in the center of town with ease. I always ask for a room on the higher floor if possible,but the person checking us in was not at all welcoming,and assigned us a room on the 2floor. Upon entering the room I immediately realized that we were in the smoking room.After standing in line again,we politely requested a non smoking room, assuming the mistake would be promptly corrected. Instead,we were told there were no other rooms available and that the 2floor is a smoking floor.We were basically told that was our problem and that there were no other rooms available. We were rudely questioned, whom did we book the hotel with.Since my husband booked directly with the hotel, and a quick check in the computer confirmed that, the desk manager finally assigned us a non smoking room. Maybe the fact that I have asthma,helped a little too.
We travel a lot abroad and domestically and I have never encountered anything like this. To be assigned a room on a smoking floor without asking if it is OK,was certainly not right for a highly rated hotel. We did not appreciate the confrontation and the questioning was totally inappropriate. We feel that the job of the hotel employees is to make the guests to feel welcome.
And some of them do! We decided to eat dinner at the hotel's Grand cafe restaurant that night and the gentleman(Julius) who took care of us was extremely helpful with his dinner suggestions and we started to feel better about our stay.We dined the next night in the hotel's Le Ciel highest rated restaurant.My husband loved his food,but I guess we both expected more from a $350 dinner.We found that the choices were quite limited.
The hotel's location is great and the hotel's concierge was very helpful with recommending the"Hop on,Hop off" bus transport,quite comfortable-hotel sells tickets -with discount for 2 days- that can be charged to the room.The stop for the bus just steps from the hotel,we were going to take taxis,but this is much more time efficient.We tried this for the first time only because the hotel so highly recommended it. We covered a lot in 4 days.

Room Tip: avoid 2nd floor if you don't smoke
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Wenovo

Dear Wenovo,

Regarding your problem with our reception I want to apologize. I am so sorry for the inconveniences you had at the beginning of your stay.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we look forward to serving you better in the future.