“Wow. Definitely a 5 star place.”
Review of Grand Hotel Wien

Grand Hotel Wien
Ranked #26 of 362 Hotels in Vienna
Toronto, Canada
“Wow. Definitely a 5 star place.”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Normally, I don't stay in places like this but this time, I was travelling with management, so we got some bigger perks like staying in a 5 star hotel.

Beautiful building in central Vienna (although we needed to work outside the centre) with beautiful rooms if you're into that kind of style. My room faced an interior section of buildings so it was really quiet at night to sleep.

Check in was relatively fast. There is free wifi which generally is ok. We had breakfast included and there was a big variety of food for their breakfast buffet. We also had lunch and dinner for our group catered here one day which in general was good.

Only inconvenience was the morning I wanted to use the gym, the door was broken. There is no phone in the hallway there, so I had to keep going back down to my room to call reception. The maintenance people obviously were trying their best to fix it, but it delayed my morning by 20 minutes while I waited to be able to get in.

I would also beware of which taxi you take from outside the hotel. There might be some normal ones (which are quite cheap in Vienna) and the more fancy ones which are basically double the price for a nicer car and I'm sure they target hotels like this for the types of guests who stay here. I'm sure if you're staying at this kind of hotel, you won't care, but for those of us who live in the real world, just be aware of the difference.

I couldn't comment on the value since we travelled as a big group and also booked in advance so I assume we would have gotten a better deal than an individual guest walking in off the street.

In general, I would say that this is a great hotel. I still appreciate being able to enjoy and feel spoiled at places like this, so I can only give it a great rating. My only regret is that I had to leave 2 days early due to conflicting work obligations and not enjoy my entire stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank GloJul
Marcus F, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Grand Hotel Wien, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Dear GloJul,

We appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at the Grand Hotel Wien. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

With high interest I have read your comment about the taxi situation.This is an issue that we ourselvbes but as well other hotels inside the city have brought up to the taxi commission attention here in Vienna. We have realized ourselves by doing spot checks that there is a difference in the pricing with several taxi companies. We do hope that the commission gets this issue solved with pressure from the Viennese hotel industry.

With kindest regards from Vienna,

Rooms Division Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Canada
Reviewed 3 April 2014

A delightful hotel, first-class in every respect, well worth the price.

Very gracious and helpful employees. There is a very nice spa on the 6th floor with a steam room, it is free of charge to use the facilities. The hotel is a block away from the Vienna State Opera, and very close to the underground (subway) system.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Solotraveller Canada,

With kindest regards from Vienna,

Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

We had our annual rewards ceremony at the Grand Hotel in Vienna this year. It is a wonderful place to stay! Everything looks great (which is normal for a 5 star hotel) but the service was excellent and very personal. The staff will do anything to make you feel af home. If you are looking for a great stay in Vienna, I highly recommend the Grand Hotel.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vincenthalma
Marcus F, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Grand Hotel Wien, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear VincentHalma,

Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Check-in lasts 15 min, check-out - 40. the receptionist was totally unable to calculate (300 - 48). The staff doesn't know what is included into the hotel's offers. The staff doesnt know what is a smile, they talk like robots.
Cleaning service is ridiculous: without knocking or ringing the bell, the staff comes in the room at about 6 p.m. for preparing the room for the night, disregarding of whether the guest is in or out. And no questions like "Shall I come later" follow those interventions into private life.
We found an almond on the floor (!?!?!?!) and it was on its initial place for 2 out of 3 days of our staying (!?!?!?!). Does it mean that the floor was not cleaned??
The dirty plate stayed for 2,5 days in our room. Then disappeared.... with the rest of our cake in a closed separate box...
The mini bar is full of glass bottles - looks nice... but sound terribly loud at night...
No milk or cream in the coffee-set..
The upper shower didnt work (the temperature regulator was broken) and there is no holder for a hand shower..
Breakfasts were good, rooms are sound-proof (except the mini bar noise....), nothing else positive to mention...
I expected way much more..
Never ever coming back.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank tatiana_K424
Dear Tatiana-K424,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay at the Grand Hotel Wien. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations.Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At the Grand Hotel Wien, one of The Leading Hotels of the World, we continuously strive to meet your needs and expectations, therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent any future occurrences.

I personally will have a close look into the service standards for the housekeeping departement. There is simply no excuse for the fact that our staff memebrs do enter the room withou waiting for the guests permission.This is a serious issue that i will work on with our Executive Housekeeper.Trainings have already been set up for this week and i am confident that this will help us to get back to the standards and comfort our customers can expect from us.

With the most kindest regards from Vienna,

Paris, Ile-de-France, France
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Very high level hotel, even if I try to find cons, there are only pros !

Location is great, right next to metro station, close to big streets.

Rooms are beautiful, very big, service is close to perfection if perfection exist, design, large rooms, cleanliness, every single detail, breakfast, food in general. What can I say. Nothing is forgotten for your well being.

Value for money was excellent too considering the offered 3 nights for the price of 2 (in march 2014). So for 3 night + breakfast included I pays something like 850 euros / 1100$ which is less than 300 euros per night. Condiring the very very high level of this hotel (it's even more than a 5 stars for me it's as good as a Palace) that's really cheap. To get the same kind of service anywhere else you pay at least 3 times what you pay in grand hotel Wienn.

Do not hesistate, if they do this "3 nights for 2" (they also do 7 nights for 5)--> GO THERE and nowhere else

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Laurent B
Dear Laurent B,

Pass Christian, Mississippi
Reviewed 13 March 2014

We were on our honeymoon trip (4 days in Vienna and 5 days in Munich). We stayed at the Grand Hotel Wien and were very pleased. I speak a little German but they made me very comfortable as almost everyone spoke English. The first room we stayed in was a regular room. Fairly good sized by European standards. On the third day there was an issue with the heater. It would not turn off. The room was 25-30C. The repairman couldn't fix it right away so they upgraded us to a one bedroom suite and gave us a bottle of wine. Problem solved!

Great location. Very near the Opera house, museums, shopping area, and resturaunts.
The food at the hotel was good. The service was outstanding all around. Very happy to recommend.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank I10driver
Dear I10Driver,

I will share your comments with our team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks. As a member of The Leading Hotels of the World, the hotel continuously strives to meet your needs and expectation.I have to admit that we experienced somme issues with the AC system which could not been solved on the spot.Please allow me to apologize for that. I am glad that we could solve this matter in form of an upgrade for you.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 1 March 2014

We stayed in mid February and booked through the hotels website under the "stay 3 pay 2" deal - excellent value and included buffet breakfast. On arrival the reception staff were very pleasant and efficient. However our room was not yet ready, even though we arrived at 3pm. We were given a complimentary drink while waiting and the room was ready within half an hour. We had a Deluxe Twin room with city view (at the back of the hotel, overlooking Mahlerstasse) - I requested a city view when booking. The room was well apportioned, beautifully decorated and immaculately clean. The food was very good. The buffet breakfast served in the Grand Cafe provided an array of choice and overlooked the famous Ringstrasse. Restaurant food was excellent! The hotel really has one of the best locations in the city. Tram and U-bahn literally outside the door, Shopping mall accessed thru the hotel and all major sites in city center are no more than a 5-10min walk. The only problem I could find was that the heating in the room was too hot and even when i turned it off the room was still too hot so we ended up sleeping with the window open - in mid February! (very noisy when binmen came at 6am!) Air con didnt seem to work properly - this would worry me alot if I were to stay in summer! Other than that it was a perfect stay!

Room Tip: Pay the extra and upgrade to a Deluxe Room - request a city view! The location is so nice that it is...