“Traditional”

Ranked #5 of 360 Hotels in Vienna
belgium
“Traditional”
Reviewed 8 September 2008

Perfect location, near all the sites. The ground floor is intimate and is now almost entirely renovated, and I particularly liked the blue bar, the Rote Bar restaurant and the newly reopened Anna Sacher restaurant (redone in a green decor).

Except for a cigar room hidden behind the reception, all the public areas are non smoking, which is progressive for Vienna.

The food is very good and there is plenty of choice. Excellent breakfast buffet (+ separate station for cooked dishes), including Sacher Torte, in the white marble room.

The new spa is nice and has a fitness room, three saunas, two special showers and two relaxation areas.

The rooms are a bit of a lottery. Those on the new three top floors are more modern and comfortable but they lack the charm and sturdiness of the old rooms, and they make you feel as though you are in a different hotel. The old rooms vary in quality but many are in need of renovation. Although the situation is not as bad as at the Bristol or the Imperial, there are new hotels being planned (Shangri-La, renovated Palais Schwarzenberg), so now is the time to bring all the rooms up to date in a gentle way.

Stayed September 2008
2 Thank topsmed

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed 27 August 2008

Vienna, the land of music and fine pastries, was the last stop of my honeymoon. Having been there on a few occasions prior to my wedding I promised myself that I would bring my wife there one day.

I guess the first impression always last on any given day. When I made reservation through its hotel website, I simply mentioned that we are staying there for our honeymoon and no special instructions/services were requested. Upon check in we were upgraded to one of its suite (Room 712) located on its top floor. An old bell gentleman was standing at the door with our luggages even before we arrived to our suite. Brought them in and immediately he stripped off airline luggage tags from handles. We told them it was ok and felt bad about it (he could be my grandpa),but he smiled and said, "I hate them." I have been to so many places and checked-in to many fine hotels, but never, not even once, bell boys/gentlemen have extended their service to strip tags off. It was really nothing but a symolic gesture and also an evident as how well this fine hotel trained all its staff, top to bottom.

Room was very cozy and spacious with two sets of patios. Walls were decorated fine fabric wall paper and every detail and luxury were attended. Bathroom amenities included Bvlgari toiletries and a small LCD TV. Aside from this beautiful room, we were thoroughly impressed with the lobby, restaurant and cafe, which all truly reflected its historical roots and traditions.

• Liked — Its service and staff
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled with family
2 Thank PapayaTree
New York, NY
Reviewed 26 July 2008

The Sacher is the best of the best in Vienna. It is of the old guard hotels, but completely renovated. It preserves the grand nature of Vienna's old, opulent hotels but they someone figured out how to preserve that feeling and yet providing every modern convenience and amenity. Highlights below:

Location: As they say in real estate, location! location! location! The Sacher is in the heart of Vienna, directly across from the Opera house and a walk to all the best that the first and second districts have to offer.

Rooms: We stayed in a suite on the top floor. It was superb in every way. The living room was comfortable and classy, bedroom was excellent and the bathroom was big enough to live in. We also have an outside private roof deck, with the most incredible views of Vienna. It does not get better than this. The rooms are decorated in classic vienese style, and they have enough art work to be considered a fine museum.

Amenities: Breakfast in the morning is good, but not great. I would opt for another location for breakfast. The Blue Room bar is perfect for a pre-dinner drink or for a break at the end of a long day. It has an incredible atmosphere and brings you back to a time long past. I believe they have a full service spa, but I did not make use of it.

Service: Professional, capable and all done with a smile. The concierges work with you in every way and they did a great job for us with restaurant reservations, philharmonic tickets and private tours of some great spots.

Cafe Sacher: This is what you will read about in every guide book. It is the original cafe at which Anna Sacher created the Sacher Torte. You should try this chocolate cake if you can. We tried it here and we tried it at Demel and the original at Sacher was the best.

• Liked — The grand nature of the place
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank Island_Hopper_NYC
Miami
Reviewed 5 May 2008

I stayed with my husband at the Sacher for three nights on April 2008. This is one of the best hotels we have stayed at. It has a great location, the staff is very friendly, the decoration is beautiful, and the rooms are spacious. We had a room with a view to the Vienna Opera House. The Spa is excellent. If you are planning to visit Vienna, this is the best hotel you can stay at.

• Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Omar1
Helsinki
Reviewed 17 April 2008

I have just spent four memorable days at this wonderful
hotel.
Before entering the hotel my expectations were high:
from a legendary, worldclass hotel You just await a lot.
I am so happy to tell You, that all my expectations were
fulfilled.
Hotel Sacher is absolutely one of the best hotels I have ever
stayed at (...and I have seen a lot of de luxe hotels!)
Stay at Sacher and enjoy the oldworld charm and the viennese
hospitality at it's best. You will love it!

• Liked — Location, staff, old world charm of a legendary hotel.
  • Disliked — After this stay my standard has gone up again. It's making my life more difficult.
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank ThenHePackedAndLeft
Santa Barbara
Reviewed 8 April 2008

For our 15th anniversary my friends and I decided to have our grad school reunion in Vienna. Just like 15 years ago, we chose to stay at the Sacher. The Hotel seemed to have undergone some nice renovations during the last years. However, even with a modern twist, the traditional charm and luxury atmosphere remained the same. Our rooms were beautifully decorated with many lovely details and the service was exceptional, just like you expect it from a traditional European Luxury Hotel. On top of that it's just so conveniently located next to the main shopping street and the opera building. Us "girls" absolutely enjoyed this stay - now and back in the days. It's amazing how fast time flies by, but also beautiful to discover that some things never change: that is lasting friendship and true Austrian hospitality at the Sacher.

• Liked — Charm, History, Memories, Perfect Service, Friendly Staff, Sacher Torte, Family Owned
  • Disliked — n.a.
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank ucla_reunion
wind point, wisconsin USA
Reviewed 4 April 2008

I cannot recommend this hotel and I have never written a negative review before. The room had terrible HVAC- it was cold or it was extremely humid and this is a five star hotel. We had to negotiate stairs to use bathroom, sink was leaky throughout three night stay. It took two days to get a toothbrush and shaver. The phone in the bedroom didn't work, when it did, noone answered. When the bedroom was so cold I could not sleep I had to go downstairs in my night clothes. Management was rude and deceptive. Internet worked very poorly in bedroom (and was not included in room price and we paid anyway). To be seated in restaurant, had to confront dining room management (we had been told their was no availability even though we were very hungry and guests of the hotel), turns out they had at least four open tables during our entire 1.5 hour meal. Service at breakfast was very poor, a busboy kept literally running into me as if I was in his way at the buffet, I had to bus my own dirty dishes, arrange for my own egg entree with the short order cook and be my own waitress (they seemed to hide the location of hot food) and of course, beg for more coffee. The spa did not have reception staff during the weekend- consequently could not verify appointments, never recieved written confirmation of any appointments as requested at least twice. I went up to the spa trying to verify our appointments and find a toothbrush and razor myself, a maid was there, but she did not know where such amenities might be (very stripped down type spa changing rooms)- there was however a naked man laying in one of the steam rooms I had hoped to use during the day there. Since there was no staff, no one would be available to help me discreetly work this out. Observed other patrons having difficulties with hotel and heavy handed approachs to their dilemnas. They would not let a young American male in the hotel who had plans with other young (college age) students even though his parents were staying there (we know them and our daughter was looking forward to an enjoyable evening)! Moreover, a male staff member let himself into our room without knocking or ringing the doorbell. He would not identify himself when we asked him to- other staff on the floor identified him for us (turns out that he was servicing the in room mini-bar). When he entered without our permission or knowlege we were in various stages of undress. We stayed three nights over spring break and we travel all over the world. I really don't believe in writing negative reviews because I own a business and I sympathize with the challenges. However, a manager was so cruel to me as I was departing that I feel compelled to write about the overall experience. My impression of the facility is that it is a cash cow for a private concern- they sell all kinds of kitschy chocolate and logo type items including their world famous sacher torte (which by the way doesn't really taste all that good). I felt that they were going to wring every penny out of our stay (as long as they were not inconvenienced in any way)! One comes away with a sense of the hotel being all surface over substance; that there is a simmering disdain for guests/tourists who come from different parts of the world. Lower level staff will empathize with you but they are unable to do much about the problems. Try a different hotel when in Vienna!

• Liked — location in Vienna
  • Disliked — Service and numerous important details about very poor hospitality.
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
8 Thank wisconsinworldroamer
brigitta_walther, General Manager at Hotel Sacher Wien, responded to this review, 11 April 2008
Dear Reviewer,

thank you for sharing your views regarding your recent stay here at the Hotel Sacher Wien.
As you are raising a lot of assertions on differenct physical aspects of the hotel as well as on services, please allow me to comment:
for your 3 days stay you booked the Superior Category in our hotel, which is a standard double room. All our rooms are equipped with an individually controllable air conditioning system, this allows our guests to adjust the temperature in their rooms according to their needs. We are more than happy to move guests if they are not happy with their room, but you never mentioned this to one of our duty managers, with whom you had daily contact.

We provide all kind of amenities to our guests in case they have forgotten any item. Toothbrush and shaver are frequently asked items and our concierge has personally delivered you these items within minutes after you called.

Upon check-in we invite our guests to make reservations early at one of our restaurants in order to avoid disappointments. Both our restaurants are very popular and reservation is required. We also offer alternatives for light snacks, like the Sacher Eck or the Sacher Café. You asked for a table in our main restaurant just before dinner time and our restaurant manager did his utmost to reserve a table for you. Unfortunately you did not take the time to have a gourmet dinner but only ordered a soft drink and a cake instead, you could have enjoyed this without any waiting time at one of our other outlets.

Our Leading Spa is opened daily from 10.00hrs to 21.00 hrs. It can be possible that for some short moments the reception desk is unattended, in this case there is a note on the desk to leave a telephone number and we call back. You booked two treatments and received the proper confirmation with our policy in writing. Our Spa manager explained to you the thermal suite area and also pointed out, that in Europe we usually have unisex and nude areas only. The changing rooms are generously dimensioned and provide showers, toilets and all amenities from our own product series "Time to Chocolate". You obvisously liked this product as you were tempted to challenge our security cameras in the Spa by taking one of the big body lotion displays with you.

You have met all of our managers on duty during your stay and they all tried to assist you in your various problems, like email access. We are sorry if you had the feeling that they were rude or not cooperative. All of our staff are have the strong endeavour to make the stay of our guests as pleasant and enjoyable as possible, it is part of our mission statement to even surpass the exepectations of our guests. It has never happened to us in the past that a one of our guests disliked our hotel so strongly and could not find any positive comment. Nevertheless we do take your feedback and comments seriously and will do review with our staff internally. We are confident that we understand our business and rely on the many positive comments we receive from all over the world.
Best regards,