“Living on reputation”

Ranked #7 of 360 Hotels in Vienna
London, U.K.
“Living on reputation”
Reviewed 15 September 2009

We booked a deluxe room, which was pleasantly done in pale rose tones, with a view of the Opera. The room was comfortable but small. There were no welcome amenities on the first day, though they left fruit and and small Sacher tortes the next day. The hotel has undergone a complete renovation, but that apparently did not extend to the bathrooms, which were not five star quality by any stretch of the imagination. We might have overlooked that, but charging 36 euros a day for internet service seemed stingy and unnecessary, given the room rates. We had the feeling that the hotel was cutting corners on small things (toiletries), which is not want you want to feel at a hotel with the Sacher's reputation. We checked out and in to the Grand Hotel Wien, which has beautiful rooms, gorgeous bathrooms, nice toiletries and complimentary internet!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
4 Thank czarina21
SacherVienna, managing director at Hotel Sacher Wien, responded to this review, 14 October 2009
Dear Reviewer,

thank you for your honest and open feedback, please allow me to apologize for any inconvenience you might have experienced. I am very sorry to learn that you were disappointed with certain aspects like the missing welcome amenities. We normally pride ourselves on our very high standard of service, and I am very sorry that this was not satisfactory in your case.

The Hotel Sacher is a very traditional hotel, yet we are proud of our symbiosis with modern comfort. In such a historic hotel however rooms and also the bath rooms sometimes are small in size and furnishing. We are currently undergoing another renovation phase and we will focus on creating comfortable and modern bath rooms in those few rooms, where we do not offer the highest standard yet.

We do understand your concern about the cost for the internet service, however this is why we provide a business center to our guests free of charge. The business center is open 24 hours a day and our guests have free access to 3 PC working stations, printer, fax machine, copier and scanner. For in-room use the WLAN rate is EUR 36, valid for 24 hours, and can be used during the whole stay and not necessarily in one continous internet session (count down ticket).

I would be very grateful if you would consider giving us another opportunity to show you the service and excellence the Hotel Sacher is known for. Should you visit Vienna again in the future, please make your next reservation directly through my office so that I may assure you of my personal attention.

Reiner Heilmann
Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2009

I booked this hotel through a booking agency which I have never done before for fear of poor service (for not much of a saving) but on this instance it was a saving of around €120. I was a little apprehensive but should not have been as my stay was wonderful.

I arrived at the hotel at around 9am and the very courteous doorman escorted me to reception where I was greeted by a very friendly young lady. I asked if I could leave my bags at the hotel and she surprised me by telling me that I could have my room as it was ready for me. This was great news as I wanted to freshen up a little following a long train journey from Venice. The very helpful receptionist showed me round the hotel and took me to my room (not enough hotels do this).

My room was very spacious and had been newly decorated or at least there were no obvious signs of wear and tear at all. The bathroom was also very large with a lovely big bath! I wasnt fond of the toiletries as they had a very bland scent (but the promised more with the enticing name - a time to chocolate).

I was surprised also that the mini bar prices were very reasonable for a hotel of this class (although I have forgotten the actual prices now).

I took my umbrella from the wardrobe as it looked like it might rain (although it ended up over 90 degrees) and had an explore around Vienna before returning to get ready for a spa appointment. The door to my room knocked and a housekeeper brought in a fruit plate, some pralines and a couple of sacher tortes. Now my history with sacher torte has never been a love affair as I find it very bland and dry - but this was delicious and moist, I am converted!!!

The spa was very small with just a couple of wet rooms and a sauna, as well as a couple of chill-out zones (the wet room with the herbs was a little overpowering, as a non smoker I found it catching my throat). For the more modest people out there the spa is a nude area but they have plenty of towels which you can use to cover yourself.

Our massages were devine - the masseuse really worked on our knots and I felt alot more loose afterwards than I ever have after a massage. My partner wasnt so keen on the paper pants though !

I had a couple of glasses of wine in Cafe Eck which was a good spot for people watching, and the waiter recommended a nice Austrian wine for me which I enjoyed.

The bed was a little bit hard for me and I'm always a little disappointed when turn-down doesnt leave you a treat (just the weather forecast in this instance) but I cant really complain after the gift of the cakes, fruit and pralines earlier that day.

Breakfast was as good as any other I have had - a good buffet selection of breads, pastries, cheeses, cold meats, yoghurts and fruit. There were a variety of juices on offer and a few bottles of sparkling wine (sacher cuvee - which whilst isnt exactly Cristal champagne is still rather decadent in the morning and was appreciated). The waiters brought our tea / coffee to the table. There is an order section for hot items with a small buffet for bacon and sausage, and eggs to order by the chef. This was very good but our poached eggs took a long time to arrive, which made me feel a little guilty as the restaurant had closed by the time they had arrive, and the staff were waiting for us to finish (but I didnt want to go until I had finished my eggs at least).

We left our bags at reception (as I had a late flight home) and were given another 2 sacher tortes to take away, which I was very grateful for now that I am a huge fan of the cake. We couldnt resist going to the shop and buying the sacher bear (which was rather pricey at over €50 for a teddy bear, but its a great memento of a great stay and you cant put a price on that).

Overall I felt like the staff were very helpful and welcoming, and the hotel was a wonderful place to stay - I cant imagine choosing anywhere else when I come to Vienna next time!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank looblylou
bangkok
Reviewed 22 July 2009

I was only here for the one night. I wished I could have stayed for longer. Beautifully decorated old hotel. The bar is particularly good. The food was so so. Not exceptional and because it was July the main restaurant was shut, so maybe better at other times. The service was very good in particular the front of house staff. Of course it's on the tourist route and the the entire place is mobbed with people eating Sacher Torte. But nonetheless they are able to cope and I enjoyed my stay immensely. The only gripe was the revolting chocolate soap and shampoo. Whoever came up with that idea should have been shot.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 25 June 2009

It would be hard to argue that the Sacher is not one of the most historic and prettiest hotels around, the rooms dripping with old world charm, oversized, and with artwork, paneling and chandeliers, all of the comforts of contemporary hotels with a lovely spacious bathroom. But for me, that alone makes a nice setting, not a memorable stay. The name Sacher has become a marketing tool and one is constantly bombarded with it, whether to eat at the over-rated and over sweetened Torte, or to buy any of their other paraphernalia, or to be directed to their very expensive eateries. It seems the policy of the Leading Hotels of the World, the Sacher's parent organization, is to opportunistically lead you in any way they can to make more money off of you. This tactic becomes obvious. When we finally gave in and ate the signature Tafelspitz at their restaurant it was awful, and we felt our mother's had done a better job at boiling beef. The prices in Europe with the decline in value of the dollar are enormous, and one may be expecting too much, since everything just costs so much. That aside, food should taste good. Another major concern is the incompetence of the youngish front desk staff, they all must multi-task, not doing any all that well, and understaffed, they can rarely handle more than one guest at a time. Though the chain may consider themselves "leading," their level of expertise, judgement and advise to us, ability to answer our phone calls to concierge (no one picks up the phone...) and general interest in our comfort, well being and satisfaction was completely inadequate for a hotel that has such a high opinion of themselves. Additionally, there is a snobbishness permeating the Viennese that reaches a high art form in this hotel. The Viennese are not known for their warmth or enthusiasm. Having left my crown jewels at home, I was often ignored in favor of their more posh European clients coming and going. On a positive note, one couldn't find a better location, albeit pricey since it is so central to everything. The beds are hard like a rock so be forewarned, it took a while for them to understand that I wanted a foam topper for softness, not a feather bed, after all, it was June and hot. The air conditioning in our room was insufficient, the rooms are quiet if the windows are closed, some street noise otherwise. They also insist on giving you a feather duvet, even in summer, so ask for a "french" bed, and you will get a sheet and blanket. The coffee in Vienna will cost you a fortune but it is the best coffee I have ever had, and the pastries are simply works of art, worth the expense! Vienna is one of the most beautiful, cultured, and interesting cities in Europe and worth a visit, not because of, but despite the Viennese.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank Lillybelle-Colorado
London
Reviewed 25 May 2009

Hotel Sacher is undoubtedly a part of Vienna's history and a landmark in it's own right. However, if you are looking for modern comforts, you should look elsewhere. The rooms may interest a historian, but we were looking for a place where we could relax after walking and sightseeing. Carpets in our room were worn and stained as well as some of the furniture and wall fabric. Our bathroom was small with cheap ceramic tiles and grey grout probably to save on regular maintenance. There was no marble or even technistone in the bathroom. Net curtains were in need of a good wash.

The staff was generally polite and helpful, although when asked about the best way to get to a place 200 m away from the hotel by car the concierge very kindly directed us to no entry street . Breakfast was good and the restaurant area was worth a visit.

• Stayed May 2009
SacherVienna, managing director at Hotel Sacher Wien, responded to this review, 27 May 2009
Dear Madam,

thank you for your honest and open feedback, please allow me to apologize for any inconvenience you might have experienced. I am very sorry to learn that you were disappointed with the room during your stay, and I would have welcomed the opportunity to talk to you and to move you to another room. We normally pride ourselves on our very high standard of cleanliness, and I am very sorry should this not have been satisfactory in your case.

The Hotel Sacher is a very traditional hotel, yet we are proud of our symbiosis with modern comfort. In such a historic hotel however rooms and also the bath rooms sometimes are very small in size and furnishing. We are currently renovating some of the smaller bath rooms, like the one you had in your room, and this project will be ongoing.

Best regards from Vienna!

Reiner Heilmann
Managing Director
Dxb
Reviewed 7 May 2009

The hotel is very traditional and it has very high standards. The Sacher Torte is very nice. I must add however that if you are to stay at such a hotel, you must dress accordingly. I was not properly groomed for this particular trip and I did feel out of place at the Sacher. The staff were exceptionally polite and I couldn't have asked for a better stay.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Gerrards Cross, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2009

Just back from a fabulous long week-end at the Sacher. Everything about this hotel is world class. Service, the stunning decor and rooms, both restaurants, the famous cafe and the location. The concierge service is also brilliant with excellent tips on restaurants, help with internet checkins for return flight etc. Yes, it is expensive but then it is a once in a life- time experience and coupled with a visit to the adjacent opera and nearby Musikverein an amazing experience. Vienna is a beautiful city and very self contained. The people are also great.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple