“In poor shape, not worth it for the money”

Hilton Garden Inn Vienna South
Ranked #139 of 362 Hotels in Vienna
Oslo, Norway
“In poor shape, not worth it for the money”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I was initially happy when I realised the location of this hotel, as it is close to the office where I was going for business.
However, this impression soon changed. I was initially given a spacious room, but sadly the A/C didn't work. Calling the front desk, they duly changed my room, resulting in a smaller room. Not a problem, had it not been for the fact that the A/C didn't work there either! Assuming that there was a general problem with the A/C, I didn't ask to be moved to a third room. The trouser press didn't work either, and the old CRT tv has definitely seen better days... Considering there are several other hotels in Vienna which offer significantly nicer rooms where everything works for the same money, I will not be returning to the Holiday Inn Vienna South, even though it is convenient locationwise.
On the upside, staff were friendly, and breakfast was ok.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the park, they have a nice view
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Andreas_Kessling, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Vienna South, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear Mr. Wildviking

Thank you very much for taking the time to share and post your comments regarding your recent stay with the Holiday Inn Vienna South. We greatly appreciate bringing those several issues to our attention. I do sincerely apologize for any inconvenience the service received may have caused you.

With regards to the ac system and the room temperature, please accept our apologies that the room was not as cool as your expectations. Kindly be informed that we have the option to unlock the window so it can be opened entirely. This will give the room a much cooler temperature during the night. Even within spring time it is difficult to put the AC in the right justification as some like to cool down and some like to heat at the same time.

We are glad that you liked our friendly staff and the breakfast buffet. I believe friendly staff can make a good stay. However, I do also understand your comments regarding the age of the hotel. Even therefor we score with well trained and helpful staff. On the other side we are on the way to refurbish room by room and are already done with more than half of it incl. Flat TV sets.

We value you as our guest and hope you will continue to choose Holiday Inn Vienna South for your future travel needs to show you, we care.

Andreas Kessling

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 15 May 2014

This location was a quick one night stop prior to a flight home the next day. Compared to the ease of getting to most other locations in Vienna, this property was quite a bit of a walk (and I don't mind walking!) from the nearest train station. I believe there was a bus that would have made the trip shorter, but we elected to hoof it so that's on me.

While it seemed to be centrally located for business travel, it definitely wasn't ideal for tourism. There were, however, multiple buses that stopped right next to the hotel to take you to more popular areas. The staff was friendly and the rooms were clean and had most amenities needed (minus the wifi, as others have noted).

Overall, a nice property and perfect for what I stayed there for!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Andreas_Kessling, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Vienna South, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Valued Guest KSchascheck

Thank you very much for taking the time to share and post your kind comments regarding your recent stay with the Holiday Inn Vienna South.

I'm really delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your rating. We are very glad to see you like our nice property, the clean rooms as well as our friendly staff.

We would welcome the opportunity to be your host once in the future, if your travel will bring you back to Vienna.

In the meantime I wish you and your family all the best and a great time.

Mandaluyong, Philippines
Reviewed 11 May 2014

This hotel may be located in the business park, but it doesn't offer any free wifi. It is convenient once you've gotten your bearings. There's a mall with a grocery store just across the street. Bus stop to the subway or train station is also just a 2-3 min. walk away. What I like about this hotel is the room size. It's big and spacious and the bed's very comfortable. Our stay would've been made perfect had they offered free wifi.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WackyDaredevil
Andreas_Kessling, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Vienna South, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Valued Guest WackyDaredevil

We are really glad that you liked our beds and spacious rooms. Regarding to the wifi, the situation is a bit difficult, although I understand your point. We have a kind of lease contract with cost involved to offer that service at all. However, we offer different packages, where all these services can be booked inclusively.

It's a shame to get 3 out of 5 for a nearly perfect stay, just for the wifi. So we would welcome the opportunity to be your host once in the future, if your travel will bring you back to Vienna to show we care.

Wroclaw, Poland
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Hotel is located in the close proximity of business district. Basically 50 steps from it. So if you care about close distance to Business Park Vienna it is the best spot. For the city sightseeing definitely you may find a better place.

My initial impression was the building does not match the surrounding. It is like a bit from a past era. Other buildings are modern and hotel does not seem to fit here.
Inside one can be sure that impression will be sustained.

I got non smoking room, on 3rd floor with a park view. Aforementioned view was not thrilling...
Room had a standard equipment (but yet again everything was old (but not worn): furnishing, TV(non flat), dated air-condition panel), in a plus one shall count a kettle presence with a pack of coffee and tea. Beds were average, however the pillows didn't commend me.

Dining. Breakfast buffet was average. The selection was rather sparse. I would recommend to take a close walk around where you can find a number decent places to dine. Especially in Twin Tower.

Amenities. There is a gym on the first floor, but I had no time to go there. Unfortunately Internet access is additionally paid (20Euro pay day or 4Euro pay hour) is not cheap.

Cleanness was not an issue. Everything was really good taken care of.

Staff was the best part of my stay. Well trained, polite and helpful. As you would expect.

Price\Value ratio. if the location was your primary concern, this hotel would be highly recommended, other case think twice before book you will stay here.

Room Tip: I think that a room with park view at top floor is a good selection.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank wodzik
Andreas_Kessling, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Vienna South, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Valued Guest wodzik

We are glad that you liked our friendly staff and the cleanliness. I do also understand your comments regarding the age of the hotel. Even therefor we score with well trained and helpful staff as well as very good condition and cleanliness. On the other side we are on the way to refurbish room by room and are already done with more than half of it.

I would welcome the opportunity to be your host once in the future, if your travel will bring you back to Vienna.

Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We find the hotel more beyond any expectation. The hotel location is very good. The food is varied and tasty. The room is very comfortable.
We would like to thank Thomas Hain, Martin Schaffer, Lucia Maderova, Manijen Schoffauer who welcom us. Thanks to their hospitality we enjoyed our staying and will recommand staying at the hotel to our friends.
Levy Family.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah L
Andreas_Kessling, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Vienna South, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear Valued Family Levy

Thank you very much for taking the time to share and post your really kind comments regarding your recent stay with the Holiday Inn Vienna South.

I'm really delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your great rating. It is really great to see you liked our service even provided by Lucia, Manijeh, Thomas and Martin. Your words will be big motivation for all of us.

We all would welcome the opportunity to be your host once in the future, if your travel will bring you back to Vienna. So far I wish you and your family all the best and a good time.

Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 April 2014

The Holiday Inn Vienna - South is located at the edge of a business district. I was there on business and the company I was visiting was directly across the street.

The hotel is clean but very average. The staff is GREAT! They are warm and welcoming, very customer focused and so very helpful.

The room was clean. The bed was comfortable but I was in a king room and only had a full sized duvet on the bed. There was a second full sized duvet in a drawer but it was quite awkward to use. The room was uncomfortably warm and the thermostat went no lower than 20C and the window opened about 2 inches at the top (swinging inward). If you closed your curtains at night (and you had to because of the street lights and gas station lights beaming into your window), you couldn't not get any air from the window. I mention this because the only bed covering besides the bottom sheet is the down duvet cover. If you are like me and need at least a sheet on to sleep, it was nearly impossible to get cool enough to sleep under the half of a duvet.

That being said, there were plenty of outlets, the bathroom was small but very clean and the hotel was surprisingly quiet for being on a main thoroughfare.

There is a breakfast buffet each morning which was very good with a wide selection from fruits, yogurt and cereal to hot, cooked-to-order food to cold meats and cheeses to breads and danish.

The hotel is well outside of the center of Vienna but you can easily get into the city center. The great desk attendant provided me with directions to the city bus (which stops on the corner) which takes you to the subway which ultimately brings you to the city center. It can take about a half hour to complete the trip (one way) so do plan accordingly. The trip was actually quite easy to make.

The hotel's staff are it's true treasure. Everyone from the front desk to the restaurant staff to the cleaning staff were great!

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear MAtraveler123,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your detailed feedback regarding your experience with your recent stay at Holiday Inn Vienna South.

I am very happy to hear about your very good ratings for our breakfast and the cleanliness in our hotel. I am even more pleased to hear your great comment about our staff. Your feedback will indeed be forwarded to our different teams and will certainly give them a great motivation.

With regards to the room temperature, please accept our apologies that the room was not as cool as your expectations. Kindly be informed that we have the option to unlock the window so it can be opened entirely. This will give the room a much cooler temperature during the night.

Once again, thank you for taking the time for giving us a review on Tripadvisor. We value you as our guest and hope you will continue to choose Holiday Inn Vienna South for your future travel needs.

Yours Sincerely,

Thomas Hain
Front Office Manager
Grafenwöhr, Bayern, Germany
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We went to Vienna, Austria for a weekend getaway with 2 other families for Spring. They had a gym and a place in the lobby to play demo XBox games and having 2 teenage boys, that was a plus! They where entertained while they waited for everyone to get ready to head on out. The front desk staffs where friendly and helpful. The location was great for us since it's away from the busy streets and noise of the busy life of Vienna. Every night after a long day of exploring, we headed back to the hotel and enjoyed a nice night at the bar. Relaxing and enjoying the drinks. The Bartender was so great. He made great drinks for the men and delicious margaritas and coladas for the ladies. He used a lot of fresh fruits for the ladies drinks. He was friendly and made an effort to talk to his customers. We all enjoyed his company. A nice way to end the evening. They had a mall right in front of the hotel that had lots of choices of food. It looked a bit odd at first, but when we found everything else, it was awesome! They had McDonalds around the corner and a small bakery close by. We enjoyed our stay very much!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Valued Guest Tonette R

I'm really delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your great rating. Glad to see you liked our service even for kids. Furthermore I personal will give your compliments to our bartender as well as our friendly and helpful front desk staff. All your words are great motivation for anybody in our hotel.