“Great Location & Excellent staff”

Austria Trend Hotel Astoria Wien
Ranked #113 of 360 Hotels in Vienna
Bairnsdale, Australia
“Great Location & Excellent staff”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

My husband and I stayed for 7 nights. The room was small, that's OK. We had a tiny balcony which we could view the streets. Comfy beds & big bathroom. No tea or coffee making facilities. The breakfast spread was enormous. The staff were friendly and the building was homely.
We walked to all our destinations as we were centrally located. Great restaurants close by.
A nice place to stay. Loved Vienna!

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony over looking a street. The hotel almost takes up the entire block.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Midwestern State, USA
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I have stayed in several hotels in Vienna (each many to several times) and as soon as each one is acquired by a chain or run by a management company, the price goes way up and not much changes about the hotel except something strange about the design, like suddenly the light fixtures look like bowler hats. So I tried the Astoria, which is an Austria Trend Hotel but I figured if I had no pre-Trend experiences, maybe I would not be disappointed. And I wasn't. We liked our room -- it was spacious and comfortable. I was amazed at how good the (double) windows were at blocking out sound from the street. The hotel building itself is very beautiful and classic. The location was central, with easy access to the U-Bahn, museums, restaurants etc. The breakfast room can get crowded, so I tried to get there early to enjoy the excellent breakfast buffet in a more relaxed way, and that worked well. The staff at the front desk are also very nice. I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Finland
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Very good location! We did stay there for two nights and it was perfect for us. It vas easy to take the s-train from the airport and just change to the U3 underground. From the Stephansplatz ther was just a short walk to the hotel.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

On a recent trip I was booked into this hotel by a colleagues assistant. It was a last minute trip so expected pricey and small rooms in terms of availability. I have travelled to Vienna many. Times and pretty much stayed in all the major hotels but not heard of this one. I arrived very late and was impressed on how central this hotel is and for the price. The reception staff were friendly and efficient. I was meeting some other colleagues and asked where the bar was... They said there was no bar. I asked how that is possible they then said they did have a bar but the bar man was long term sick and said that there are many bars locally and they could show me where to go. The hotel interior is very old fashioned with wide corridors and decor. The decor was fresh and clean but in an old style. The room was the same but very clean and with a large modern bathroom. The room was very hot so had to have the window open (looking out to the courtyard) unfortunately it seems at 6am every morning they empty the trash bins and loudly. The wifi is very flaky and couldn't get a consistent signal. The breakfast is good and plentiful but was full of tour groups which seems to be the hotels main clientele. This really is a tourist hotel and perfect for visiting Vienna. It is not a business orientated hotel. It is unlikely I will return.

Room Tip: Would avoid any room looking out on to the street. The hotel is very central and busy outside on the...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2014

The Astoria is a gem, right in the heart of Vienna, a classical hotel full of Viennese charm that is also very friendly and warm.
First impression? Well there was an older gentleman on the reception and he is very nice, efficient and a part of what I would call "Old Vienna." Classy. Honestly, I like it and that kind of person has their place is somewhere like the Astoria. So reception were great, the older gentleman, the young ladies in the morning, the younger guy too- always welcoming and helpful and indicative of a hotel that *cares* about its reputation.
Location? Goes without saying- it's perfect, short walk from the metro (either Karsplatz or Stephansdom), right next to Hotel Sacher and the Vienna Opera and overlooking Kaertner Street with all it's shops- the Oxford Street or 5th Avenue of Vienna. If you are easily lost, this hotel's location means you will also find your way home. Btw, you can buy Vienna cards from the staff. When you check in you also get a guide to Vienna. It's small stuff...... but it helps a lot.
Decor? Fantastic, classic, clean early 20th century, a touch once again of old Vienna. Our room had a majestic Viennese portrait. Lovely, spacious bathroom with crisp towels every day and a comfortable, fresh bed. Now when you combine this with the friendliness of the staff and the excellent breakfasts, you really have something! Such a charming experience, rich red carpets, wood panelling in the reception, and rooms with high ceilings and separate bathroom and toilets as well as big flat screeen tv's combined the antique with the new. Breakfast staff were great, a nice Austrian lady originally from Nepal and a young trainee waitress who couldn't do enough to help. Food was delcious- bacon, fruits, selection of nice bread and juices.
Could there be room for improvement?
Honestly, we intend to return to the Astoria next year and the only serious recommendation we would ask for is the *easiest* of all- more English and Russian tv stations on the satellite. About ac, we didnt need it in April and I don't really think it's so important in Austria even in summer (British and Russian hotels don't bother with it either). To those guests who have written about the problem of the street noise, yes, there can be some clamour in the wee hours as people leave the casino or as the dumpsters are emptied on Kaertner Street- but it goes with the territory and it's a minor issue as compared to the immense benefits of being in the pulsing heart of Vienna. I mean, if you want to stay in central Vienna, right on the main artery, then some noise is ineviatble. Vienna is a living city..... it's part of the experience. For me, the noise wasn't an issue- first as it was limited, second as I wrote it off as inevitable.
In short, we had a lovely stay in a charming hotel that allowed us to really live Vienna. We stayed in room 215 to April 23, four days in total and fully intend to go back.
Astoria, thank you for a lovely experience. Great staff....... it's the people that make it work at the end of the day.......

Room Tip: Don't worry about so called 'noise' from the street, get a room with a balcony overlooki...
3 Thank jasmine I
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 20 April 2014

The location of the hotel is perfect doesn't even take 30 seconds to walk to the main street, Hotel Sacher or the opera building.
People working at the hotel welcomed us in the best way we even felt like home from the first minute.
The only thing was the noises coming from outside since it is an old/ancient building. I believe this was caused by the constructions outside.
Next time I'll stay at Austria Trend Hotel again for sure.
Rooms were quite big, the batrooms are new and very clean.
Do not hesitate to choose.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Herzliya, Israel
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I stayed in the hotel with friends for the Vienna City Marathon last weekend. They were kind enough to give us rooms which were pretty close to each other.
There's a slight problem with the wifi internet. In all the public places it works fine but in our room it was available in only one side of the bed and at the back of the entrance door. I know that in other rooms it was fine.
The towels were not big enough, it could have been more comfortable.
In the first evening when we came back to the room after dinner there was a really bad smell, like a dead animal was left there. We asked to change a room and got a bigger, better one (after one of the employees came to our room and didn't understand what we were talking about, felt like he was trying to imply that we're just trying to bluff him. Overall the employees are not always 100% nice).
The rooms are spacious and seems like they are renovated, they're in really good shape.
Breakfast is very rich and fresh. Gluten-Free bread is available.
The location is excellent - right in the middle of the main shopping street which has no cars (and was also 300m from the finish line of the marathon).

Room Tip: If you're sensitive to noise at night it might be a good idea to ask for a room not on the side...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends