“A happy week in Vienna”

Ranked #98 of 360 Hotels in Vienna
astana
“A happy week in Vienna”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

My partner and I had a happy week in Vienna from 25 till 31October 2013.
I believe our experience with the hotel was very good. We booked through www.olotels.com and got deluxe room for 100 eur per night, breakfast included. It was a very reasonable price which became obvious when we saw the room and tried breakfast next morning.

We arrived to the hotel around 11 a.m. and got a room in 10 min. Excellent! It was my partner's birthday and we discovered a delicious came when came back to the hotel from a city tour. Nice touch. Thank you!
The room was big and comfortable, cosy and a bit old fashioned. TV was old, but perfectly fitted the interior. It was in a walking condition so nothing to complain about.
The breakfast was to die for and I missed lunch and had only a light dinner after all delisios staff we had in the morning.
The only complain was a temperature in the room. It was very hot, but air con was not adjustable and the rooms’ windows faced a nosy road.
We definately recommend the hotel if you manage to get a good price.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bucharest
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Well, I've stayed for 3 nights at this hotel and I was given a room on the 2nd floor. It was a big room, with a quite small bathroom and to my bad luck it was a interconnected room. Idon't understand why they left a door between my room and the other one, because I understood from a colleague of mine (who stayed for 2 nights only) that her room was a duplex. My bad luck was on the 3rd night when I had another neighbour and frankly speaking I could not rest because my neighour was very noisy durin almos all the night. So, if you stay there don't accept an interconnected room, because the isolation is very poor and you can't controle your neighbours. Moreover the matress was not of the best quality. In terms of breakfast, it's in a restaurant on the mezzanine and the decoration is of very low quality (the hotel itself is in an "epoque" style and the breakfast room is in a cheap "modern" style). The food is average, but the service is nice. All in all a disapointing experience.

Room Tip: Do not accept an interconnected room. Try to get a room not facing the Ring.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Newfoundland
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I echo the comments of others regarding the very convenient location of this hotel. The subway is barely a minute's walk, the university is only about 5 minutes away, and Stephansplatz is maybe a 15-20 minute walk. The breakfast was very good and I've never seen a more efficient staff keeping the various foodstuffs replenished, the tables cleaned, the people seated. My room was quite large and clean but (there's always a 'but') I thought the mattress, pillows and linens were particularly cheap -- think bargain basement quality. The TV was a 20" or so old-fashioned thing (I can't remember the last time I saw something so 'quaint'). I gave up trying to watch anything on it. There was dark discolouration on the grout in the bathtub/shower area. Not good. The receptionists were friendly enough but (there's that word again), not particularly knowledgeable. I asked for directions to the nearest supermarket. I was directed to a small 'hole in the wall' which had precious little in it but later found out that there were 2 others that were MUCH better only slightly further away. I asked about a decent nearby restaurant that wouldn't break the bank and was told about a place that sounded okay. Unfortunately, the food made MacDonald's seem like haute cuisine. It's a shame because I found a really quite good place to eat that was cheaper and served much better food and only about another 10 or so minutes away.
So, this is a good hotel but I wouldn't recommend it for more than a couple of nights unless you aren't fussy about getting a good night's sleep. Perhaps the 'deluxe' rooms offer better quality mattresses etc. but I suspect that corners would be cut somewhere else in the room.

Room Tip: My room was on the first floor facing another building and never got any sunlight at all (only by l...
2 Thank scurtis
Central Greece, Greece
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We had a really good time during the weekend at this hotel. Very close to the metro, tram station. Very easy access to the airport. Walking distance (10-15) minutes from the city center. Very good breakfast. We enjoyed every minute during our stay at this hotel

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Orlando, FL
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I have mixed feelings about this hotel. It is located centrally in the old city, less than 50 yards from a subway stop. Easy to get around the town, and a very short walk to the university. The rooms are very clean with roomy bathrooms. Beds are hard with mushy feather pillows. The bed linens are nice, but the bathroom towels seem bit old. The staff is very helpful, and the bar makes an amazing cup of coffee. Wifi requires a new password every day and slows down considerably once everyone comes back to their rooms from their day out - but it IS free.

The weather was a bit warm, so I asked how to turn the AC on and was told that it was set for the seasons and would not be turned on until May 1. Nights were cool, so I opened the window to at least have air circulation at night. Unfortunately, the street noises didn't die down until after midnight, which required me to sleep with a pillow over my head! For whatever reason, I noticed on my last day that the AC had been activated, so I got at least one night of quiet sleep. Quite a pricey hotel for hit-or-miss sleeping.

I stayed here because it was the hotel closest to my conference site, but I would have to think real hard about staying here again.

1 Thank ACT530
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2014

The Hotel de France is conveniently close to trains & busses however the hotel is not worthy of a 4 Star rating. The mattress was very hard & uncomfortable, sheets were rough & towels were old & in need of replacement. The towel warmer in bath was on the entire time, the room was too hot, no way to turn it off, we opened the window every evening for fresh, cool air.
Very disappointed with the hotel.

1 Thank ke000
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 9 April 2014

the staff were very nice and helpful. the room was spacious and very clean. it is very close to all transportation ways. the only thing i was comfortable is the water closet in the room. they must change it. you have to get a new wi-fi password each day. the conenction is slow. we didn't buy breakfast. you have to pay 20 euro for one person if you like. overall, we enjoyed our staying here.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple