Hotel Nestroy
The Ritz-Carlton, Vienna(Vienna)
US$672
US$652
  • Pool
All reviewscity centreferris wheelroom was spacious and cleanwalking distanceminute walkan upgrademini barhotel baru bahnconvenient locationbeautiful citythe air conditioningdouble roommetro stationstopspratersauna
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Stayed here just a few nights as tourists in Vienna. The hotel (which hardly seems to bear its own name, its essentially Imlauer) is a beautiful, wellkept property that conceals surprisingly well appointed, contemporary rooms. Ours was immaculate and fortunately very well airconditioned during a hot spell in Vienna. The breakfast seemed expensive, so we skipped it, but we seized an offer to forgo a day of housekeeping in exchange for five euros of credit at the hotel bar. Its extremely quiet, nice for folks seeking tranquility. Otherwise, we used no other amenities. A point is deducted for the location. Its in a residential neighborhood, so its neat to see kids heading to school in the morning, but otherwise its an urban neighborhood like any other. Its also several blocks to a metro stop, a long way with a suitcase. Tourists might appreciate something closer to the sights or transport options.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed on long weekend break and we where in the annex across the street. Our room was clean and had good air con which was needed in the hot weather.The bed was comfortable and there was little noise from the road outside.Some things were a little disappointing 1 plastic spoons for the tea 2 press the lift for second floor get out and you have to walk down stairs to get to your room.Take a sachet of coffee with milk added as you only get limited tea and coffee every day.3 Did feel a little bit out of it being in the annex ,all the facilitates are in the main hotel.
Not sure if its 4 star but this is the only hotel we have stayed in Vienna.
We did not eat in the hotel and every member of staff we met where helpful.
As has been mentioned before the location is great for tourist .

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
imlauer, General Manager at Hotel Nestroy, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear value guest,
Thank you very much for your review here on tripadvidor.
It was a pleasure, having you as our guests.
Please be assured that we do our very best in order to satisfy our guests in any situation, thank you for the comments mentioned, we will reconsider this in our next staff meeting.
It would be great to welcome you back again soon.
Best regards

Gerald Wlcek
Hotels IMLAUER&Nestroy Wien

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Where do I start with this hotel? The positives
1. The bedroom was clean;
2. We slept soundly;
3. Most members of reception team were friendly and apologetic.

The negatives:
1. The safe didn't work;
2. The WIFI didn't work;
3. Complaints about points 1 and 2 were ignored for the entire duration of our visit;
4. One member of reception team was incredibly rude;
5. One of the two electrical sockets in the bedroom didn't work, meaning we couldn't charge both phones or iPads at the same time;
6. The shower has mould growing in it.

When we first arrived at the hotel and went to our room there was a ladder in the way of our room door, and on top of the ladder was a large bucket of white paint (see photo). Quite bizarre. The room itself was quite large and clean but as I mentioned, one of the sockets didn't work. Our biggest problems, though, were that the WIFI didn't work (our room seemingly was too far from the hub as the signal was there but not strong enough to work) and that the safe didn't work. We called reception who, in fairness, did send up an engineer to look at the safe, but he claimed to have fixed it and left before we realised it was still broken. Further calls to reception to get the safe looked at again were ignored. Instead we were advised to leave our passports and iPads with reception, which is far from ideal but was our best course of action.

I went down to leave my passport in the reception safe and greeted the receptionist with, "Hello, guten tag!" but the receptionist just glared at me without saying a word. She was the only rude member of staff but to ignore me quite so blatantly was really quite unacceptable indeed.

We expected that the safe would be fixed the next day but it wasn't. Reception did assure me it would be fixed before we left but this never happened. Apparently the technical person didn't turn up to work. On one evening we returned from our night out and needed our iPads but nobody was on reception so we had to sit around for about ten minutes. The receptionist had been on a security walk, which is fair enough, but when guests are forced to leave their belongings in the reception safe, there should always be someone on duty.

When I asked to speak to a manager about the few complaints I had, I was told that none was available but that someone would be there, on reception, from 8am the next morning. When I went down at 9am I was told that the manager inexplicably wasn't on duty, but I was given a business card so that I could email in with my concerns if I wanted. I was also offered a breakfast, which was nice, but was not what I wanted. What I wanted was a WIFI connection that worked, and the ability to safely store my belongings in my room in a secure way. We weren't even offered the option of a room swap, which would have been acceptable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close enough to the hub that the WIFI works.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CLHScott
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed at the Nestroy for 3 nights towards the end of May. As the weather was very warm, we made the most of being outside and therefore didn’t make use of the hotel’s breakfast and dining or bar facilities. So I cannot comment on these (although the bar did look very inviting and the extended “happy hour” was very tempting!)

However I can say that the room we had was absolutely excellent. It was very large, spotlessly clean and extremely well equipped. It was nice to have tea and coffee making facilities, something that is rare on our French and Spanish travels. The bathroom was very big, with twin washbasins and nice fluffy towels. The bed was comfy and the room was quiet as it faced onto the inner courtyard.

The staff were very cheerful and helpful and when we come back to Vienna we will certainly book this hotel again.

We got a very competitive rate via Expedia on this occasion but notwithstanding that the Nestroy’s rate would be higher next time it still seems to be less than hotels across the river. And the point is that it’s no less convenient than staying in the Innere Stadt. Turn left out of the hotel, immediately left again and within 3 minutes you’re at the Karmaliterplatz tram stop. The 2 tram runs every few minutes late into the night.

Turn left out of the hotel and then right onto the main street and 2 minutes later you’re at the U-bahn station, next to the excellent Zur Reblaus. (And there’s an Aldi directly across from there if you need any basic provisions).

So we were never bothered about how far we roved in the evening into Vienna as we were never more than a few minutes tram or U-bahn ride away from the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
beiwzd, Assistant General Manager at Hotel Nestroy, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear value guests,
Thank you very much for your kind review on Tripadvisor.
It is a pleasure reading through your very kind and motivating words. It was a pleasure having you as our guests.
I hope to see you again with us soon,

best regards
Daniel Zwieb
Assistant General Manager
Hotels IMLAUER&Nestroy Wien

Reviewed 24 May 2014

My daughter and I stayed at the hotel for two nights, the only draw back was we were located in the annex across the street from the main hotel, and only saw hotel staff when we check in and checked out, but for what we needed it was fine, the room was nice and quiet, the bed was very comfortable, close to a grocery store, restaurants, and transportation.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family