“Viennese style, to expensice for what you get”
Review of Hotel Kummer

Hotel Kummer
Ranked #56 of 361 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I was in the hotel on business for 2 nights, and to be honest, I expected more. Because I stayed in Vienna previously in 2 other less expensive hotels, i expected far more from this 4 star hotel. The single rooms are absolutely tiny, good bed and bathroom, but really tiny. Staff is friendly at the reception, but no more than that. Breakfast was good, enough to choose from and fresh too. The location is brilliant, right on Mariahilferstrasse. If I had the choice, I would stay somewhere else!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Hotel Kummer

Reviewed 21 May 2014

This is a very old and grand hotel in one of the main shopping streets. Staff were very helpful, my room was extremely nice and well kept and meals in the hotel were excellent and not over priced. the UBahn entrance was just outside the hotel so transport was easy. The street in pedestrians only and so there was hardly any noise at night. I would certainly choose the hotel again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank KathrynW46
Reviewed 4 May 2014

A strange combination.

Good: location - very close to an underground station (practically on top of one), in a busy shopping street (so-called pedestrianised but you can be mown down by fast cyclists everywhere in Vienna), near the really interesting Museum quarter, excellent self-serve breakfasts with good choice of hot and cold food. Pleasant staff.

Not so good: our room (for which we paid €20 extra per night for more space and quietness) was not particularly large at all - quite narrow just enough room for 2 beds joined together, 2 bedside tables, 2 chairs and a desk, with a wardrobe in a narrow lobby between bedroom and bathroom - so standard rooms must be very, very small indeed. Very, very old fashioned and dark decor, rather drab and nothing special - three star at most. True there was no traffic noise in our room as traffic around the hotel is high (it faced into a lightwell so no view but no traffic noise either) but we could hear our neighbour's shrieking laugh as if we were in their room with them. BUT it had an enormous, rather luxurious bathroom nearly the same size as the bedroom, probably worthy of 5 stars on its own - go figure!

The ground floor reception is tiny: a few seats and tiny narrow bar and narrow restaurant - not conducive to relaxation or to being in a small group (bar chairs uncomfortable) which is unfortunate as many rooms cannot get a wi- fi signal. TV limited to 4 English-speaking news channels - 2 American, 1 English, 1 Japanese.

Summary: it was ok but if going to Vienna again I think I would go to a chain hotel where facilities.are less individual but more predictable.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LovelyDevon
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Location is the strongest side of this hotel: only 50 metres from metro, in walking distance to historical Vienna center. Additional plus - the hotel is situated on the main Vienna shopping street. The room was comfortable, with view on pedestrian street. Breakfast is good quality and free "champagne" makes it more pleasant ;-)
But I have a few wishes for improve. At first - Wi-Fi was not available in our room, only in lobby. At second - I suppose that 4-star hotel would have bathrobe and slippers in each room.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 April 2014

This trip was my wifes 40th birthday outing and I spent a lot of money staying here for 2 nights, 278 Euros. Our room, a superior!? was on the second floor at the rear of the hotel, decorated in the same style as the rest of the building. Like with most continental hotels the bed was 2 beds pushed together, I just dont understand why it can't be an actual double bed. Plus the mattress was quite soft and I could hear and feel the springs when I moved. The air-conditioning was deactivated until the summer, when I queried this, the reception staff suggested that I opened a window if I was too warm, bad idea, there is a bus start off point outside, 0540 hours Sunday morning BRRRUUUMMMM. Sounded like the bus was in the room with me, I never got back to sleep.
Maybe a room at the front would have been better but being a street that reassembled Oxford Street London probably not even though its pedestrianised.
Breakfast was adequate, lots to choose from, especially if you like cheese and meat. We enjoyed our visit to Vienna.....if the hotel had been a bit cheaper for what it was and we had been in a room higher and at the front, this probably would have made all the difference. The staff were smiley and friendly.

Room Tip: Rooms at rear are very noisey, due to a bus stand
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Loved this hotel
Service, food, everything was really good.Recepionists very friendly , The waiter was brilliant and Chef to be congratulated on presentation and taste of food. Loved the charm of this hotel. Normally go for modern chic, but this surpassed any modern hotel for the hospitality and charm Thank you wonderful stay
One mention we were on fifth floor windows open right out

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

I decided to stay in the Kummer hotel in my business trip.
I would like thehotel. Very polite and friendly persoonal. The location is very good. It is Quite area and very near of the centre of Vienn.

The hotel is nice looking.

Only one thing i didnt like was very poor brekfast.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business