“ideal location - clean and compact - but don't drink in the Bar!!”

Hotel Fuerst Metternich
Ranked #162 of 361 Hotels in Vienna
Rugby, United Kingdom
“ideal location - clean and compact - but don't drink in the Bar!!”
Reviewed 27 March 2013

This hotel is ideally situated - it is very close to a Metro Station. It is in a side street (you enter through a strange and rather unwelcoming door!!) You manage your own luggage - be warned the lift is compact!!
The rooms are small, functional but clean. Housekeeping staff are very efficient. (Very efficient. We took a travel kettle and immediately we received a printed letter instructing us not to use it - because of health and safety reasons. So, if you take a kettle - keep it hidden!!)
The staff on the Reception desk are vey helpful, the breakfast Staff are grudgingly helpful and the Barman is extremely rude.
On the subject of the Bar I will say this. I have never been treated so rudely in any hotel I have stayed in. Sadly this would put me off coming here again. We walked into this dark gloomy bar for a drink. First of all, we were told in a pre-emptory tone that 'You can't sit there, those seats are reserved!' We asked for two beers and were informed in no uncertain terms, that 'this is an American Cocktail Bar, we don't do beer'.' (I have been to Cocktail bars in America - this was nothing like them. For a start the barman are very welcoming, pleasant and helpful. Not like this chap. I work in an Hotel in England and I doubt if this barman - with his rude, objectionable and overbearing attitude would have lasted a week. The bar stank from cigarette smoke. The three punters in the otherwise empty bar were all smoking. The drinks were over priced. (9 euros for a small shot to 200 euros plus for a shot of Louis Trieze Brandy.) Give it a miss there are plenty of other bars in the main street - with a great atmosphere, pleasant barman
The hotel is, otherwise, ideally situated. Two stops from the centre of Vienna.
The breakfast is quite adequate.
Stay here if you on a 'City Break' but go to Spar or Aldi for drinks.

Room Tip: hotel is in a side street - don't ask for a view.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Viennart, Manager at Hotel Fuerst Metternich, responded to this review, 10 April 2013
First of all I want to say thank you for your feedback and your time to write some comments. With this we can improve our service.
I want to let you know, that we decided to ask our guests not to use water cettles or irons as it already happened that it started to burn, so we want to make our guests to be aware of that.
Concerning the barkeeper I will forward the informatin to the owner of the bar. The cocktail bar is leased, so i can not decide who works there. For sure, the cocktails are maybe not the cheapest but they stand for their quality and they are one of the best in Vienna. We will try to improve the service there!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Serbian first
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 8 March 2013

we stayed there 1 night to visit vienna christmas fair and we were very pleased. the staff were ok, bar was OK although bit boring. room was comfortable, but we had room with no view. it was just facing the wall. Apart from that it is situated close to metro station and you can get to rathaus and parliament by walk in no time. I also have photo of my gf staying on the entrance stairs as a marquise. wooow..romantic. we were very impressed by the architecture (as everywhere around vienna). It is nice place for budget stay (we've paid around 45e and that was peak season due to xmas fair, which is 10 mins walk downstreet). I will recommend that place to anyone.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank drahomir_13
Viennart, Manager at Hotel Fuerst Metternich, responded to this review, 12 March 2013
Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear, that you enjoyed it in our hotel. The traditionell flair is for sure something special for vienna as there are lots of hotels in a modern stile, that makes us more unique!
We would be happy to see you again in our Hotel Fürst Metternich!
Portland
Reviewed 20 January 2013

Stayed here for three nights during vacation in July 2012. It was my second time in Vienna, so I'd already seen most of the major tourist attractions; this time I was there to basically walk around, and see the city as it is now without focusing so much on the history.

For this reason, the location was very good! One block up, and you're on the lively Mariahilfer Strasse, where you may shop and eat as much as you like. The metro is very close as well, which can take you just about anywhere in Vienna. However, I must say that staying in this hotel during the hottest time of year in Vienna was a mistake. It was over 100 degrees Fahrenheit everyday I was there, and the hotel had absolutely no air conditioning. My first night was terribly humid in the room, could not sleep. Thankfully, I asked the front desk the next morning if there was anything at all they could do about it, and they gave me a different room that they referred to as "the dark room" (the pictures I am posting are of this room). Still no a/c, but the location of the room did not let nearly as much heat in. I am very pleased with the way the staff handled this and did everything they could to meet my needs. If you plan to travel when the weather is a bit cooler, I would definitely recommend it!

Also, I would recommend packing a little lighter than we did.. Those beautiful looking stairs at the entrance of the hotel are what you have to carry your belongings up; there is no one to help you! Depending on which floor you are located on, there may be more stairs from the elevator to your room as well. Lastly, I do not recommend the hotel bar; the drinks are ridiculously overpriced. There are plenty of alternatives off of Mariahilfer Strasse.

Overall, a fine stay!

Room Tip: Ask for the "dark room" in summer!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank athenabee
Viennart, Manager at Hotel Fuerst Metternich, responded to this review, 1 February 2013
First of all, i want to thank you for your guest comment. We are always happy to get some feedback to improve our services. It's true, that we do not have any airconditioning, so it can be quite hot in summer. The only thing, we can offer our guests is a fan for the room and sure, the rooms in the lower floors are also cooler. So ask for that already at time of reservation!
Szentendre, Hungary
Reviewed 8 September 2012

The location was perfect.Hotel room was big , clean, and hot enough. Good value but not the best restaurant they have.We stayed only for 1 night ads just for the location.Christmas time for shopping is a great choice.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 7 September 2012 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights on a family road trip to central Europe. The hotel location is wonderful, but the hotel itself is not that great, parking is a challenge and very expensive, and be aware that the parking is paide on 24 hours baseis, it means that if you stay 24 hours and 10 min. in the parking you shall pay for 2 days! (bitten by that!!!)
The rooms are clean and our receptionist welcomed us warmly, there is a little toiletry package in the room that is very nice and handy.
The rooms are not air conditioned so we had a hard time sleeping.
There are plenty of cafe and restaurants around, so you have several choices but be aware that the KFC nearby is a crapy place with rude staff!
You probably would enjoy the hallways decorations and its cleanliness.
Not sure to stay again in summer but it would be another story for the winter!

• Stayed August 2012
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 2 September 2012

I was looking for a hotel that had a great location, no frills and a good value and the Hotel Furst Metternich was perfect. It is yards away from the Underground that will take you anywhere in Vienna. I only have GREAT things to say about the staff. Every person working the front desk was a pleasure to deal with and bent over backward for my friend and I. We needed a fan in the room, and it was brought to us in minutes. The place was clean, had a safe, free wi-fi and a TV. We weren't looking for anything glitzy and this was perfect. The only downside for me was the bed was sagging and not comfortable. When I did finally sleep, I was fine. BONUS: There's an awesome food store just next to the hotel and that's where we bought our breakfast daily. I LOVE this hotel and only have great things to say about it.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2012

Nice place to stay in the cooler months of the year. August was just too hot.
We stayed for one night in 2 rooms then travelled around, returning for another before departure to London. For the second one night stay, we arrived early afternoon but were still given possibly the worst rooms. It was so hot that we had to have window wide open and sleep without covers. Unfortunately room no 8 has a window onto the central courtyard. So we were woken at five AM with staff preparations for the day - then sounds of deliveries and then staff chatter and the noise of washing up wafted up for the rest of the morning. Another minor point was the need to renew the wi-fi password every 7 hours - a little unnecessary.

Staff, however were very friendly and the location very good.

Room Tip: Don't have room 7 or 8
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends