Hotel Fuerst Metternich
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
  • Room Service
All reviewscafe rittergreat locationshopping streetmaria hilferstrassehotel barminor issuehistorical buildingreception staffmetro stationnice hotelcity breakwalking distancebars and restaurantsminute walkquiet at nightwifi connectioncomfortable stay
Reviewed 30 April 2013

As I mentioned in the title, the hotel staff was very helpful and friendly. I liked the rooms and what's main, the location of the hotel was very good. from there, it's very convenient to get to any destination. Overall, I am satisfied with their service.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Shotiko02
Reviewed 12 April 2013

As soon as you enter the hotel's door you feel as if you are in the 19th century Vienna: wonderful staircase with two columns at the entrance, fine metalwork. I appreciated it very much as well as the ideal location of the hotel. It takes 10-15 minutes by foot to get to the Kunsthistorishes museum, 10 minutes by metro to reach St.Stephan's cathedral. Mariahilfer strase is ideal place for shopping and you feel safe at any time of the day.
The bathroom is large and clean but the room itself looks rather dull, and the furniture and curtains seem shabby.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Viennart, Manager at Hotel Fuerst Metternich, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2013

Thank you for your feedback and the time to write some words about our hotel. It helps us a lot to improve our service. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the stay in our hotel!
I will ask the housekeeping to check on the curtains but we will get new ones in most of the rooms soon!
We would be happy to see you again in our hotel!

Reviewed 8 April 2013

It's a simple hotel don't expect too much . You get for what you pay.. It's clean and very centrally located in one of the busiest streets in Vienna. Not far from the Central Station. Steps away the subway..

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 April 2013

Exactly why the name Metternich of the famous Austrian politician was chosen for this hotel , i do not know., but I discovered the fascination of the hotel owner for another political figure, namely Che Guevara, with pictures of the revolutionary adorning the walls of the breakfast room. His portraits and profiles at various ages in black and white were quite captivating. and lest it gets too boring and sombre, he contrasted it with black and white pictures of Hollywood singers of the .50's on the opposite wall including Frank Sinatra, Dean martin Louis Armstrong and others.
The breakfast spread was good with a varied choice of fruit, cheese, cold meat ,bread, pastries and beverages, hot and cold. We were thrilled to be able to choose Assam tea among others to wash down.the food.
The hotel staff were helpful, specially the office staff who on request booked a variety of tours that all started from the hotel.
The hotel was very close to a metro station and several bus routes.There were also a large number of eateries close by.
The rooms were very small and cramped. and the heavy curtains were in need of a wash.
The rooms were accessed by a lift that started from the mezzanine floor, led up by a flight of stairs, This proved quite a problem with our heavy cases.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Sosi
Viennart, Manager at Hotel Fuerst Metternich, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2013

Thank you for your time to give us some feedback, which helps us to improve our services. I am glad to hear you enjoyed it in our hotel. I will forward it to our hotel staff!
The reason for the pictures of singers and Che Guevara in our breakfast room is actually the cocktail bar in our hotel, as we use the same room, and the owner of the bar was from cuba and the bar focuses on rums/drinks from there.
I will also talk to our housekeeping staff and check the curtains.
Thanks again for your feedback!

Reviewed 27 March 2013

This hotel is ideally situated - it is very close to a Metro Station. It is in a side street (you enter through a strange and rather unwelcoming door!!) You manage your own luggage - be warned the lift is compact!!
The rooms are small, functional but clean. Housekeeping staff are very efficient. (Very efficient. We took a travel kettle and immediately we received a printed letter instructing us not to use it - because of health and safety reasons. So, if you take a kettle - keep it hidden!!)
The staff on the Reception desk are vey helpful, the breakfast Staff are grudgingly helpful and the Barman is extremely rude.
On the subject of the Bar I will say this. I have never been treated so rudely in any hotel I have stayed in. Sadly this would put me off coming here again. We walked into this dark gloomy bar for a drink. First of all, we were told in a pre-emptory tone that 'You can't sit there, those seats are reserved!' We asked for two beers and were informed in no uncertain terms, that 'this is an American Cocktail Bar, we don't do beer'.' (I have been to Cocktail bars in America - this was nothing like them. For a start the barman are very welcoming, pleasant and helpful. Not like this chap. I work in an Hotel in England and I doubt if this barman - with his rude, objectionable and overbearing attitude would have lasted a week. The bar stank from cigarette smoke. The three punters in the otherwise empty bar were all smoking. The drinks were over priced. (9 euros for a small shot to 200 euros plus for a shot of Louis Trieze Brandy.) Give it a miss there are plenty of other bars in the main street - with a great atmosphere, pleasant barman
The hotel is, otherwise, ideally situated. Two stops from the centre of Vienna.
The breakfast is quite adequate.
Stay here if you on a 'City Break' but go to Spar or Aldi for drinks.

Room Tip: hotel is in a side street - don't ask for a view.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends

First of all I want to say thank you for your feedback and your time to write some comments. With this we can improve our service.
I want to let you know, that we decided to ask our guests not to use water cettles or irons as it already happened that it started to burn, so we want to make our guests to be aware of that.
Concerning the barkeeper I will forward the informatin to the owner of the bar. The cocktail bar is leased, so i can not decide who works there. For sure, the cocktails are maybe not the cheapest but they stand for their quality and they are one of the best in Vienna. We will try to improve the service there!