“Charming hotel in a very good location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Saint Shermin

Hotel Saint Shermin
Ranked #19 of 367 Hotels in Vienna
Jerusalem, Yerushalayim, Israel
“Charming hotel in a very good location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2012

Special and charming hotel. Interesting decoration. Very helpful staff. Good breakfast.
Excellent location near Karlsplatz (several metro and tram lines), only a few minutes to walk, so it is easy to access even by foot some main atractions of Vienna. Two restaurants just at the entrance of the hotel and a supermarket in front of it. Reasonable price for this location in Vienna. The only problem is the stairs to the first floor of the building which could be difficult to some people, and also no aircondition which could help a lot in hot summer days. But besides that I would highly recommend. We will return for sure.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2012 via mobile

I stayed with 2 other friends in a 4-bedroom. We got a very good deal from booking.com which included breakfast. The hotel was located in an old building but hotel interior was modern. Bedroom was spacious and most importantly clean. Breakfast was superb and suprisingly with good variety.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank m3lodi
Virginia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012

I stayed here with my family and it was a great location at a very affordable price. It was the perfect place for us to explore Vienna from. The breakfasts were wonderful, the staff was very helpful, and we loved everything about it. I would definitely go there again on my next trip.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Arin S
San Carlos, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

The staff are very helpful, breakfast service is unhurried and attentive, with excellent quality food. Hotel Shermin is recently renovated, and each room has a different theme -- ours was the Maria Theresa, featuring a full size reproduction of a painting of the lady herself, with a color palette that matched that of the Kunsthistorische Museum (where the original is housed, I believe).

After I fell and injured my foot, the staff member on duty that day (I believe it was Raphael) offered the loan of his crutches, which I declined, but I certainly was impressed by his offer. What I did take advantage of was access to their freezer, so I could put ice on my foot as needed. On our last day, he went down to the taxi with us, to be sure the driver knew where we needed to go. He did the same a few days later as we were leaving the city, also assisting us with our luggage.

The hotel could not be blamed for the horribly hot weather, but each room was supplied with a good strong floor fan, which was helpful, at least.

Note, there is no elevator, so expect to traverse a rather long and winding stair case.

Great location, just a few steps from a couple of major tram lines, and a bit further up to the Karlsplatz, which is the nearest subway.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

Well, once I got myself on the right street (Karlsplatz stop, you're no fun in the rain), the Hotel Shermin was super easy to find and in a location that proved to be pretty ideal. I arrived outside of the hours when the staff were there, but they emailed me the door code for the building ahead of time--beware that there is no elevator, my fellow over-packing travelers! It's only one flight of stairs and good for you, anyway. I was in...I'm guessing the architecture room? The modern art room? I never asked, but it was a single room and SO spacious and fun! I enjoyed the oranges and blues and modern fixtures, including a shaggy rug and big art works. My room had two windows that opened towards the street, but I didn't really notice any noise, and heavy curtains to preserve my morning cave-like atmosphere. The bathroom was tiny but extremely clean and modern. There was a refrigerator/mini-bar in my room (to be filled by the grocery store and bakery at street-level), and the info book in the room was very thorough. Breakfast was very nice, European, and the self-serve coffee/espresso machine was much appreciated. My only gripe is that I had no wi-fi despite the router being at the end of the short hall and could never get my laptop to find the network over my three day stay. Regarding the location: it's super close to the University and Karlsplatz metro stop, about a ten minute walk from the opera house, and a 15-20 minute walk to the Belvedere. This place was really affordable for the value, the furnishings eclectic and fun, and overall, a really great little hotel!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Bulgaria,Europe
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2012

we stayed for 3 nights/June/, the room was large,clean.The staff was very helpful.
The weather was hot and in the room unfortunately was hot too.We asked for a fan and this was a decision.There was a lot of noise from the square. But the perfect location and the others priorities excuses the inconveniences.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DaysyEurope
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

Our family of four stayed in a quadruple room (the Vienna Woods room) for 2 nights and had a fantastic time. The room was very new with unique fixtures and a modern bathroom. The location was perfect for exploring the main sights and staff were especially helpful in answering all our questions, helping us call attractions for tickets, etc. There are staff available only at certain hours of the day but this was no issue for us. Breakfast room is small but the food was excellent. It was somewhat warm in the room during our stay in late June since there was no A/C but the fans were helpful. The windows also completely open which was nice, but then there was a fair amount of street noise at night. Our room was the farthest from the lobby, which is where the router was, so we had little to no wi-fi in our room. When we needed Internet we sat in the lobby, where it was lightning fast. Overall a fantastic, unique, personalized experience that I would definitely recommend to others!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
, Inhaber at Hotel Saint Shermin, responded to this review, 5 July 2012
We are very pleased about this review. Thank you. We have extensively renovated between January and March 2012, but still no air conditioning provided. We will consider that in the next building phase in the autum, next summer will be cool.