“Hot, and uncomfortable”

Hotel am Brillantengrund
Ranked #3 of 116 Vienna B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 August 2013

I stayed in this hotel last year in September. I did not like it at all, contrary to what others are saying. Sorry to disagree. I stayed in a single bed room on the upper level. The room had no air conditioning. It was so hot and uncomfortable, I could hardly breathe in there. You can hear others all the time. And when you come home late, I felt like I had to sneek in. The small lift was not working on day one, so I had to drag my luggage upstairs on my own. The Cleaning person barely cleaned the room. My sink was supposedly cleaned one day, however not very well. The pillow was not touched, all she did was pick up the quilt and fold it in half and put it on my bed. She did not even replace the soap which was nearly all used up. I was only given one soap for bathroom sink and shower which I thought was not very good. I mean it was cheap but surely they could afford two small guest soaps. You were provided with the bare essentials and I mean bare! The lady at reception got frustrated with me when I asked for help with the computer which is ancient and very problematic. And when I experienced more problems there was nobody at reception. I felt like an intruder here. They were not very friendly at all. In about a 3 day stay I met 3 different receptionist and not one I would say was very welcoming. The young girl was helpful one day giving me very clear instructions to get somewhere though. There was a problem when I put my jewellery into reception for safe keeping at reception (to this same young girl) and when I went to ask for some of my jewellery the next day, there was a different person at reception who said quite angrily that the person had not put my stuff away properly, then she brought out a security box and asked me to enclose my jewellery and gave me the key. This certainly seemed more appropriate as the young girl had only put it into an envelope (unbeknown to me until this time). Anyway overall, it was poor on my visit and other than price and location I would not recommend it. Sorry guys.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank DebbieJoy

Reviewed 7 June 2013

Location is about a mile from the centre and I was more than happy to walk my way around and absorb the wonderful architecture the city offers. On arrival on Bandgasse the hotel doesn't look like a great choice, but do not be dissuaded on appearance. It is a compact hotel with two rows of rooms that overlook the beautiful courtyard which hosts nice foliage and tables with a bar at the end and a Philippino restaurant/breakfast room on the side. There is also a lift by reception for luggage etc. It is an enchanting and family friendly setting. Simplistic charm. There was a small childrens party on the Saturday afternoon, which shows how the hotel can cater for a wide variety of guests. The Phillipino restaurant is well worth a try and recommended for foodies who have been out all day with their heads pointing skywards at the architecture the city proudly boasts. Breakfast was lovely with a lot of choice. Reception was really helpful on pointers for travelling around. Fantastic city and great location from which to enjoy. Good value & very helpful. I intend to return to both the city and the hotel. On the junction of Bandgasse & Westbahn Strasse is an old church that has been restored. If you like christianity or restoration type work it is well worth popping in & can be easily overlooked.

A caution for visitors of any hotel, is that hotels have arranged a contract for taxi services with set prices. Both I and a friend (who didn't stay at HotelamB) used this service. My friend was over charged and when I used the service the following day, the driver attempted to overcharge me, however on receptions advice I challenged this and paid only the contract price. If you use such services, it is worth making sure you understand the prices.

Room Tip: Go for a double or a family room & perhaps one that directly overlooks the courtyard if you can.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 April 2013

Very charming hotel pretty close to the city centre. Only a couple of minutes walk to the nearest underground station, and with plenty of little shops and bars nearby. The breakfast was OK, and the staff were helpful and made me feel at home. I would stay here again if I come back to Vienna, which I probably will do!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank ScratchMap
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Hotel delivers exactly and all it says it does; unique, clean character rooms, comfy beds, charming courtyard and overall decor, excellent breakfast and friendly, accommodating and helpful staff!
Would most definitely stay again!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 March 2013

We walked from Vienna Train Station (Wien Westbahnhof) to Hotel am Brillantengrund, which was just under a mile away. It was not hard to find, and we stayed for two nights. The location is fairly near to the centre of Vienna, although I would advise visitors to embrace the underground system since the main attractions in the city are fairly spread out. Although the staff were fairly welcoming and provided us with a city map, the reception area could do with a face-lift. It is neither warm nor embracing. After check-in we went off to find our rooms. These were fairly small with a single bed. The rooms were basic but ok. The TV had around 60 channels, but none in English. There was free WiFi throughout which was excellent. The breakfast was self-service, and when we visited, it was fairly quiet. The food options were not exactly memorable, but it was enough to satisfy us for our short stay. The dining area had pictures of a dark haired woman throughout. Whilst this may have been for artistic reasons, personally I would have preferred some pictures of Vienna or Austria; it is tourism accommodation, not someone's home! Overall, Hotel am Brillantengrund was fine. There was nothing wrong with it, but neither was there anything particular special about it either. If you're after somewhere fairly cheap to stay, while you go off exploring Vienna, then I would recommend it. You could do a lot worse!

Room Tip: The rooms we saw all looked the same.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Richard A
Reviewed 5 January 2013

A very charming hotel close to the centre of Vienna and very well served by line 3 of U-Bahn. I can't rate breakfast as we always woke up too late :). Staff was fine, free wifi access (good for me as I had to work a little bit), overall a very good stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Califfo_ducale
Reviewed 13 December 2012

Clean good size room overlooking small courtyard. I was here in May so it was not too busy. The breakfast is buffet style and pretty good also. Oranges supplied for the squeezing of juice for the lazy like me. Eggs how you like them. All in all good for the price.

Room Tip: First floor is better as the bar area is below.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo