“Good due to its location”

Hotel Goldener Baer
Ranked #341 of 361 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Firstly I was amazed by the location until we reached the hotel. One level up with suitcases, ok, but the rooms and especially bathrooms were not clean at all. The bed was fine. Not very helpful staff. They were more likely bored by this job. If you just want to have where to sleep, you can stay there. If you are looking for something more comfortable, search for other hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank Tomas P
There are newer reviews for Hotel Goldener Baer

Reviewed 10 November 2012

Please avoid this hotel. It was shabby and badly needs updating.A few things really worried me about it - there were no smoke alarms anywhere in the building and as the room smelt of stale smoke, god help anyone staying there if a fire broke out! Also, the bread rolls at breakfast had mould on them!!! The bathroom towels were threadbare like the dodgy grey bedroom carpet. The room was dusty and our double bed was simply two single beds pushed together. There is some sort of building work going on and we were woken by hammering early each morning. I only managed to sleep by plugging my ears with tissue paper. There is no lift and we had to carry our bags up the stairs. There are no mirrors in the bedroom, so I had to buy one for the dressing table. I am not trying to be mean about this hotel but when your health is put at risk by no smoke alarms and mould on the bread, something needs to be said. Great location though!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank c a
Reviewed 14 September 2012

This was the worst hotel I have ever seen. The carpet was shabby. The shower basic in the extreme and the bed little better than a sofa put u up. When I complained about the bed, I was told that this was a standard, approved single bed in Austria. I was shown a double room,for which I was told I would need to pay more, but the bed in that was just two of the sofa beds pushed together. Having been up since 0600 travelling, I'd wanted a sleep before an early evening work meeting, but that was impossible as they were loud work noises from the outside my window. I'm afraid I decided that although my room was pre-paid, I would rather leave and find somewhere else than stay there.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Jrhblack
Reviewed 29 May 2012

A very Bad hotel, dirty and shabby.
The bed linens are stained
and the towels are very old and badly cut to obtain others.
Moreover there is no elevator.
The breakfast is very poor. It is better to avoid this Hotel !!! ......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 May 2012

This location was excellent. Near the tram lines. Close to the Freudian Museum. No need for a car to get anywhere. In fact if you had a car that was a problem during the week. Parking was pricey. Hotel room was small, old, Bed was adequate. Location was the most important issue in our minds and it satisfied our needs. Spouse liked the breakfast, I wasn't as happy, but it kept our food costs down. I appreciated having the coffee available when I awakened. If you are looking for great anemities this is not the place.

Room Tip: If you have mobility issues this is a bad choice. There is a flight of stairs that you have to carry...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2012

When I booked my room, this hotel was labeled three stars on hotels.com. It was nowhere near three stars -- glad to see it's been downgraded to two. The rooms are threadbare and need upgrades. Worn carpets, very old furniture, sagging bed. The bathroom was clean but also hadn't been upgraded in ages. The breakfast was mediocre at best: plain rolls, a little salami and cheese, some cereals. The staff was not helpful. They could not provide ice I needed for an injury (despite there being a little kitchen?). When I asked if I could check out late, they said no way. Despite the fact that only one other person was staying in the hotel!

Last, and this is important if you have any kind of mobility issues or a lot of luggage, the hotel is on the first floor (second floor by American counting), so you have to go up a fair number of stairs to get to it. No one will help you with your luggage.

Oh, and the room smelled like cigarettes.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 October 2011

This hotel is terrible, nothing to do with a 3 * hotel! I went to visit Vienna with my children, and the breakfast was the worst we ever had! The room is barely clean. In the morning you are
you are awakened by the sound of the hammer at 7 am.Prices are too high. If you can, go far away from this awful hotel. The only interest is a good location.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family