“Good hotel. Good location.”

Hilton Vienna Danube Waterfront
Ranked #59 of 360 Hotels in Vienna
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Good hotel. Good location.”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I would describe the location as a good place to relax. The Danube might not be blue, but it is undeniably pleasant to have your breakfast or an evening drink along its banks. Not many nearby restaurants other than at the hotel to eat at, but we did enjoy our meal at the marina restaurant - maybe a ten minute walk. Once you are at the metro, perhaps ten or so minutes away, it is a short hop to the city. Speaking of walks: There is a more direct walk to and from the metro station and the hotel than described on the hotel website. It is really a bike/pedestrian path, for the most part, that takes you right by a market. The latter's 2 euro bottles of wine assisted in the relaxation process.

Regarding the hotel and staff. Very nice. No complaints. I should mention that being a gold Hilton member might get you upgraded to a room with a view of the Danube, but not necessarily access to the executive lounge.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Paul F
Markus H, General Manager at Hilton Vienna Danube Waterfront, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Paul,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor.

I read with pleasure that you very much enjoyed our location on the river Danube and that you felt comfortable during your stay with us.

At the same time I would like to thank for your comments on the description on our Website. We will take a further look at it in order to improve the description. I am also happy to inform you that we have recently updated the signage from the metro station to the hotel.

Thank you once again for your valuable time and feedback and I would be delighted welcoming you back with us again soon.

With best regards from Vienna,
Markus Hussler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (539)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Buckinghamshire, England
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We enjoyed our stay in this hotel which does not have an old town location, but 10 mins and 5 U Bahn stops away on Vienna's very efficient underground makes it very easy to get to and once there it is very nice to enjoy the more relaxed environment right by the Danube.
We had paid for city view only, but were upgraded on arrival to an executive room with river view which we really appreciated and enjoyed, watching all the river traffic. Access to the Executive lounge on the 8th floor was a real bonus as one can enjoy the amenities whilst taking in both the river and town views in this double aspect room.
The rooms were very clean and well appointed and beds very comfortable. The staff were also polite and helpful. The only downside, as mentioned in a previous review, is that wi-fi is only free in the public area; to have wi-fi in the rooms incurs a hefty extra daily charge on top of the already not cheap room charge. It is surely hardly fair that any member of the public can walk in and use free wi-fi in the reception area, whereas someone paying plenty for a room then has a supplement to pay for wi-fi in the bedroom.
Apart from that though a very enjoyable stay in a nice location.

Room Tip: Worth paying for a river view room
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear travelenjoyment,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences on Tripadvisor.

With pleasure I read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our services and facilities met your expectations. I also greatly appreciate your positive feedback on our guest rooms with Danube view and the friendliness of our staff.

Further to your comments regarding the Internet, I am very sorry if this has negatively influenced your stay with us. I may assure you that it is Hilton’s top priority to meet all our travellers’ needs also in this regard and please rest assured that your feedback does not stay unheard.

I would be delighted to welcome you back again at our hotel in the near future.

With kind regards,
Crossville, Tennessee
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Although this hotel can be a little hard to find at first, it is worth learning how to get to. We stayed on an Executive Floor and I highly recommend getting one of these if you can. It's not as much about the room, but the access you have to the 8th floor lounge where there is free wi-fi and always drinks and snacks. And the breakfast is fabulous! Plus you get a gorgeous view of the Danube and the Prater. The Prater is really pretty at night. There is a grocery store nearby and the U-Bahn (Stadion) is not too far away. We stayed here the first week for a conference and the second week changed to a hotel at Karlsplatz, right by the Naschmarket (see my review on Mercure Secession). While the Hilton was further from an U-Bahn and from the inner city, it was in a nice quiet neighborhood and the views were beautiful. Once you got on the U-Bahn, it was a quick trip to anywhere in Vienna. I would definitely stay there again. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the little shops downstairs are very nice. The workout facility is quite nice. The hot tub was just o.k. Not very hot. There is also a nice outdoor pool and lounging outside. The hotel has A/C and washcloths (yes, this does matter to me as not all European hotels have them). Watching the river traffic was very relaxing and there are a lot of walkers and bicyclists along the Donau. Although we enjoyed our next hotel as well, we were kind of sad to leave it.

Room Tip: Highly recommend getting an Executive room as the 8th floor lounge is well worth the price because o...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear travelgal_0511,

Thank you very much for sharing your impressions on Tripadvisor!

I was delighted to read that you could relax during your stay with us and I was happy to hear that you very much enjoyed our Executive Lounge and our breakfast offer. At the same time I would like to thank you for your kind words on our staff! It is always nice to hear that our guests are being well taken care of.

I am truly looking forward to welcome you back again in the near future.

With kind regards,
Friesenheim, Germany
Reviewed 12 August 2014

The location of the hotel is superb - right by the river Danube. You can watch joggers and walkers pass, whilst observing the boats on the Danube and enjoying the Vienna skyline.
My dinner was delicious and breakfast on the terrace in the morning sun was a really good start to a busy day. My room was enormous with a breathtaking view over the river. I'd recommend this hotel anytime.
The only reasons I didn't give it 5 stars are the following:
1. WiFi is free in public areas, but paying guests (and paying handsomely they are!) pay €20 for 24 hours WiFi in the room! So anyone who happens to find themselves in the public areas of the hotel without necessarily being a guest can get free WiFi, but those who pay well over €200/night/ room have to add €20/night for Internet access. Not good.
2. The young whippersnapper of a reception supervisor/manager was most annoying. I do not take to being winked at by anyone, let alone someone just out of school, nor do I like being fobbed off with pretty pathetic reasons for the excessive WiFi charge in the room - e.g. "It's super fast". No, little man, your hotel just enjoys ripping the customer off. You have WiFi installed already. With 200 rooms+ at €20 each per night, you are making a killing from needy business people.
However, apart from that snooty young boy, all other staff were delightful, courteous and delightful.

Room Tip: Room 444 is great
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Sunnybird15
Markus H, General Manager at Hilton Vienna Danube Waterfront, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Sunnybird15,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor!

I was delighted to read that you very much enjoyed our location on the river Danube and our restaurant Waterfront Kitchen.

I may assure you that it is Hilton’s top priority to meet all our travelers’ needs also in this regard and please rest assured that your feedback does not stay unheard.

Dear Guest, thank you once again for your valuable time and comments which help us to constantly review our services and to better adjust them to our guest needs.

I would be delighted to welcome you back to the Hilton Vienna Danube Waterfront in the near future.

Aci Castello, Italy
Reviewed 8 August 2014

This hotel is 10 minutes away from the city center; yet it seems to be far, far away from the city hassles. It's historical, yet completely modernised; it has all the amenities you expect by a Hilton property, including a very professional staff. Excellent choice, whether you are on holiday or working

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Markus H, General Manager at Hilton Vienna Danube Waterfront, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear DarioCuons,

Thank you ever so much for writing a review on Tripadvisor.

I was thrilled to learn that you very much enjoyed your stay with us and especially appreciated our facilities and the friendliness of our staff.

Your valuable feedback is very important to us and I thank you sincerely for your time.
It would be my utmost pleasure to welcome you back to our hotel soon.

Best regards,
Washington, DC
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Good stay as a Diamond. Friendly staff. Excellent room (big, nice, not a suite) overlooking the Danube. Good facilities (e.g., pool, hot tub, sauna).
This hotel, however, is a metro ride from the old city, so if that is your priority, this is not the right choice for you. But if you pick it, U2 is your friend, as is the 24/48/72 metro pass.
Lounge seemed understaffed. Breakfast in lounge only (which is OK, but not great). Cakes & finger food from 3-6, Happy hour from 6-8pm.
By complete luck, it is walking distance the long distance bus station.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Markus H, General Manager at Hilton Vienna Danube Waterfront, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Lindyhop_Bill,

thank very much for you positive feedback about your recent stay with us. We were very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and especially our Waterfront rooms. Thank you also for your positive mentions about the friendliness of our staff!

At the same time we were sorry to read that we did not fully meet your expectations with our location and I wish to apologize for any inconveniences this has caused you.

Nevertheless, we do hope to welcome you back with us in future.

Kind regards,
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Spent 4 days there this past March and it was a very nice hotel and very quiet. The people there let me cancel a trip at Christmas without any penalty and were very nice. It is close to a rail line which takes you all over Vienna. My only criticism, and this is not of the hotel, is that there didn't seem to be any place real close to eat and the Mall nearby closed at 7 pm.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Wayne P
Dear Wayne,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your fantastic review.

I was thrilled to learn that you felt comfortable and enjoyed your stay with us.

Further to your comments regarding the restaurants nearby however, I am truly sorry if this has negatively influenced your stay with us.

Thank you once again for your very valuable feedback and I hope to welcome you back again soon.