“Just the place”

Ranked #59 of 361 Hotels in Vienna
Caboolture, Australia
“Just the place”
Reviewed 5 October 2012

Very comfortable, quiet and air conditioned. Staff are more than helpful and are more than happy to help with whatever your problem is. Not in the main part of town, but the public transport is very good and taxi drivers are very obliging. Breakfast is more than adequate and has many choices to choose from.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
USA
Reviewed 28 September 2012

I stayed here for a week while on business in Vienna. The room was very nice--modern, great lighting, lots of storage, and a really nice bathroom (although the tub was small). Staff was very attentive and responsible....and were also quite warm and welcoming. Whenever I asked for something or had a problem (an ironing board, a problem with my in-room safe, a taxi), it was taken care of promptly and friendly.

The wireless is free for 30 minute increments, but you have to log in after 30 minutes. Also, if you try to log in with two devices at once (a laptop and a mobile device, for example) the system will shut you out. The free Wifi is adequate, but too slow if you want to stream vide (for example). Faster Wifi is available at a price (3 Euros for 1 hour, 6 Euros for 3 hours and 18 Euros for 24 hours).

Breakfast is good and very filling--cereals, fruits, yogurt, bacon, ham, eggs (scambled and hard boiled), a variety of breads, and, of course, juices, coffee, tea, etc.). You can eat enough at breakfast to last you all day. The breakfast room is small, but adjoins the bar (and the lovely outside patio) so there are always plenty of tables. There is some crowding around the food because of the layout, but it all works very well. The hotel also offers free newspapers in the bar area at breakfast (German papers and English at least).

One thing that always bothers me with small hotels is the lack of a restaurant and room service. It is hard for small hotel to offer this with so few rooms and when you are traveling overseas, you sometimes wake up at 3 a.m. starving. The Holiday Inn City Central has worked this out. They have a small restaurant that operates from around 6 to 9:30 for evening dining and offer the same food in their bar until around 10:30 I think. They then have a "light food" menu available 24 hours a day--chicken wraps, ham and cheese sandwiches and even a nice Viennese Goulash. They also have a couple of snacks (cookies and chips) along with beer, juice and water in your minibar. You do not have to undergo midnight starvation at the Holiday Inn Vienna City.

The location is NOT in the center of the historic district--the Ring is about an 8 or 10 minute walk. Still it is a very good area with lots of inexpensive restaurants nearby. The hotel can make recommendations, but I would also recommend eating (or drinking) one evening in the nearby Nachsmarket (a great Viennese experience) or at Entler (one of the best restaurants in Vienna and about a 10 minute walk--reservations required!). I also had a very good meal (mushroom ravioli) and the Cafe Woerner on Weidner Haupstrasee nearby and took a group of 8 our for a traditional and delicious Viennese meal at a nearby Inn the hotel recommended.

I also, unfortunately, came down with a bad sinus infection while there and the hotel was able to call in a very good (and English-speaking) doctor who got me fixed up well enough to fly home.

Just a really good place at a very good price.

P.S. Don't miss the flea market at the north end of the Nachsmarket if you are there on a Saturday. It is quite good!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Middle_Aged_Man
Reviewed 26 September 2012

A comfortable, spacious, quiet, air conditioned room overlooking the courtyard was just what we wanted as our base for exploring Vienna. Breakfast provides a generous choice. Staff are friendly and helpful. Location good, with all sights within 20 mins walk and u bahn and some restaurants nearby. We would definitely choose this hotel again.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 24 September 2012

The hotel is located in the historic side of Vienna. Room was nice, clean and with a modern look. I've stayed there for 3 days while visiting Vienna. The hotel is about 5 min. away from the subway and the Hoffburg is about 15 min. away.
The only problem I had was parking, the hotel has a small parking garage of about 15 cars so if you don't need a car don't get one. Parking on the street is permitted during weekends without a parking ticket. There is a garage also close by but it's expensive, more expensive than the hotel parking. All in all a nice place to stay when in Vienna.

• Stayed July 2012
wirral
Reviewed 22 September 2012

We stayed here in September for the first time and chose the hotel from a mixture of the reviews here and the fact that it was close to our sons' new flat in the City. It is a clean, friendly and reasonably priced hotel, close to plenty of bars/cafes and close to the UBahn at Kettenbruche. We were on the eighth floor and had great views across the City's rooftops. The room was quiet and had the benefit of a large bathroom. We used the hotel's steam room which was a great way to relax after pounding the City's streets. We also sat in the rear garden which is a nice feature and were pleasantly surprised by the fact that the price of drinks in the hotel bar was modest compared to other hotels we've stayed at. As others have said the staff are friendly and very helpful. Because our sons live and work in the City we've been to Vienna a number of times and would recommend the hotel to anyone visiting for a City break as all the City's landmarks are within easy reach. We will certainly stay at the hotel again!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PandFB
London, England
Reviewed 14 September 2012

I stayed here on business with my wife and booked a room with a garden view. When I arrived I found out that breakfast was not included and they wanted €15 for it. I am sure in some Holiday inns it is included.
The room (800) cost €145 per night and for that I got tea/coffee and air-con. No free wi-fi, apart from the first 30 minutes per session.
The bed was comfortable, the shower was good but that's it. I visited the bar, no ambience. I didn't try the restaurant, and the location isn't really close to much, although there's plenty of restaurants around and the U-Bahn is relatively close by.
The final straw was when I checked out the receptionist asked if I had used the mini-bar. I hadn't, but she asked "if I was sure I hadn't". She might as well have called me a liar ! Not good enough.

Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank SiThompson
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Vienna City, responded to this review, 28 September 2012
Dear SiThompson,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had with your room accommodation, the bar, location of our hotel and the service you received from our front desk staff. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed 12 September 2012

The Holiday Inn is a well known series of high standard hotels brand for services and tourists, Holiday Inn Vienna City staff are friendly as well as the other Holiday Inn Hotels staff, the warm welcome was the first thing I noticed when I entered the hotel.
Also the hotel is located in an area which is close to the famous shopping street and Maria Jeans Street only 20 minutes walk and there are other shops near the hotel just immediately either you go right or left from the hotel entrance, there are also restaurants near the hotel as well as super markets, laundry, coffee shops, travel agents,...etc.
The price of the hotel rooms are also affordable.
I believe that many people will enjoy this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask to have a look at the room