“Good value for money”

Holiday Inn Vienna City
Ranked #57 of 359 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed 28 January 2010

Relatively central location. Had a few issues around upgrades in the past and had a discussion with the manager around that. Since then, everything runs perfect. Staff even recognises me at checkin (I stay there 4-5 times /year). Rooms are clean and ok. Breakfast is "average". If you like working out, they have an arrangement with a wonderfull fitness close by at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,142)

Reviewed 27 January 2010

There is not a lot to say about this hotel. The rooms are very clean with everything you can expect from a 4 star hotel. A nice thing was that you could choose your own pillow from a "pillow menu". The staff was nice, they helped us with the reservation to a restaurant. The breakfast was not that good, there were only a few choises. Location OK, some walking needed though.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2010

I had a very bad experience with holiday inn. I booked a room using my priority club points and by mistake i booked for December instead of January and as a consequence for my no show they double charged my visa and also took my priority club points for that night. After complaining to them they said that they were sorry and that they could only put my points back but leave the charge on my credit card. So at the end i made another reservation paid 140 euros more and they charged me for the no show day 100 euros and i was not able to use my points. So instead of a free night with priority club points i ended up paying 240 euros. Thanks a lot Holiday Inn, i will never stay again in such a hotel that their only concert is how to rip you off

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
AndiLienz, Manager at Holiday Inn Vienna City, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2010

Dear Mr Petrou,
as we already discussed we checked this with the Priority Club department who are the only ones who can handle the points but it was not possible to leave the points and credit the amount back to your credit card. This is a procedure we have to adhere to due to the rules Holiday Inn has centrally put in place. As we could not get the points we could not credit the amount back onto your account because we were fully booked that night and lost money as we kept the room for you overnight.
I am sorry that you are so upset about it. I ask you once more to tell Priority Club directly as we (Holiday Inn Vienna City) are the wrong point of contact in this matter. At the same time I have already forwarded your comments to the Priority Club department as promised on the phone.

With best regards

Andrej Wimmer

Reviewed 7 January 2010

I am a Priority Club Platinum member, and stayed at this hotel Dec 2009. Front desk staff are ambivalent, and have no idea what a Priority Club Platinum member is or what additional perks or amenities they can offer to priority club members. Room decor is outdated and bathroom toiletries inadequate. The bathrooms were not cleaned very well everyday. Beds are old and rooms generally stuffy. TV in the room did not work well, no free internet, the hotel is in a OK location, walking distance to the the train station which can get you to to all major attractions. Breakfast is overly priced, and the quality of the food is marginal, the same everyday, never varies. Breakfast service staff is friendly. I´d recommend to try a hotel closer to the major museums with much better customer service.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 January 2010

We looked forward each evening to our return to the hotel, knowing that our room would be spotlessly clean and our beds comfortable. The bathroom was scoured clean as well, and all the apparatus functioned perfectly. The room was completely quiet. The staff was unfailingly friendly and helpful, with a perfect command of English. This hotel is wonderfully well located, minutes from a U-Bahn (subway) stop, the Naschmarkt, good restaurants, a fine bakery, shops, and a supermarket.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
AndiLienz, General Manager at Holiday Inn Vienna City, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2010

Dear Guest,
What a nice start in the new year 2010. Thank you very much for this feedback. My team will be delighted to hear this.

Yours sincerely,

Mr Andrej Wimmer

Reviewed 28 December 2009

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Vienna City for 2 nights, from 9th May up till 11th May 2008. To Be honest I was expecting something more from the Holiday Inn. The rooms were a little bit small, on the other hand the bathroom was spacious. The Location is good 5min walking from the tube. The Staff was friendly, and helpful. Overall there was nothing bad, but considering the price and the reputation I was expecting something more, next time in Vienna I'll try a different hotel, but I would still recomend this hotel to any traveller.

Regards,
Franklyn

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 December 2009

After reading some positive reviews of this hotel we were horrified when we arrived to find it grey and shabby looking squeezed into a narrow space on a depressing shabby street that we felt uncomfortable standing around on even in daylight. The hotel certainly does not have anything of a 4 star feel about it - more like 2 or at best 3 so if you're looking for anything other than raw basics, forget it. The room we were shown was old and tired and basic and arrived at by walking up something that felt like a crumby tenement stairwell - certainly not something you'd want to linger in. Likewise reception and other areas we saw - just about adequate but certainly not 4 star in any shape or form.
When we complained, we were offered a slightly better room ie more like the photo on their site, but I would say that those photographs don't tell the story as it is at all. Moreover although we had asked for a twin room we were being given a double which we really didn't want. Other people we spoke to also had a problem and asked to be moved room.
Tired from travelling though we were, we couldn't wait to leave and take our chances elsewhere.
If you do stay here I would suggest it only as a basic travel stopover to rest your head and there are much more pleasant places for a great stay in Vienna with easier access to the centre of town as we soon discovered. Ask for a room over the courtyard to at least avoid the noisy busy street.
Summary : big disappointment.
We found the place so unpleasant that we opted to leave and find somewhere else straight away.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple