“Usual hotel for big money only because of the view.”

Hotel Am Stephansplatz
Ranked #11 of 362 Hotels in Vienna
Moscow
“Usual hotel for big money only because of the view.”
Reviewed 28 May 2009

If you want to have a great view to Stephans cathedral, then it's for you. If not, don't go there. You pay only for this view and nothing else. Usual room like in every 4-stars hotel. Usual continental breakfast. One year ago I stayed at DO&CO hotel. The room in DO&CO was smaller, but more beautiful.
One more thing. They close the entrance door at 11 p.m. So you need to wait until somebody from reception will open it. It's very strange for the hotel in the centre of Vienna.
I was diissapointed because of one more thing. I forgot my jacket in the room, and when I came back for my luggage I told them that I stayed in room 406. They didn't give me my clothes. But only after I told them that I forgot it, they decided to give it to me.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Pashaslon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York
Reviewed 11 November 2008

Great location, face front of Stephansplatz, and subway entrance is literally in between the hotel and church. Hotel renovation done right. Nice rooms, amenities, friendly staff. I moved here from the Hilton hotel and was much happier (see my Hilton hotel review). Book early b/c it fills up fast, especially during peak season. I had wanted a two night stay but was only able to get one night (last minute) after my less than enjoyable Hilton stay.

Booking & Rate:
Travelocity.com, 159 euro++, breakfast included. February 2008. While I was waiting at the lobby for room to be ready, a walk-in couple was quoted a room rate of 215 euro. I chased after them outside, and tried to explain that internet rates would be cheaper. They probably didn’t understand me, and brushed me off like a peddler. I bet they found another messed up hotel for more…

Room:
Was assigned room 602. View of side alley, and if I stuck my head out the window, I could see Stephansplatz. Room was tad bigger than normal hotel rooms, with a generous bathroom area, separate bathtub and shower. I poked my head into other rooms, and the ones directly facing the church had slightly smaller bathrooms and room area. Personally, I’d rather have the bigger room and bath. It was newly renovated, and some workers were still working on a floor (feb 2008). Nice amenities, thick bathrobes, slippers, safe, free water. Its small detail, but I loved that there were many many electrical outlets -- at the table, and at the Ethernet connection point. Its so nice to see when hotels do renovations right and pay attention to the needs of multi-gadget travelers today! I found it odd that a designated smoking floor would have matches and ash tray. There was a free delicious free bottle of flavored water. The king was a two bed combined kind – oh well. Bed was firmly comfortable and the sheets clean and supple.

Internet:
Fast free internet access, wifi and ethernet connection – hello Slingbox! Bravo!

Hotel:
Beautiful contemporary design with many artworks adorning the hotel. What it lacks on facilities, it makes up on design, service and location. Second floor was the dining room. Breakfast was beautifully presented, even if its just decent selections to get you going in morning. You do get to enjoy breakfast facing the beautiful church. Adjacent in the function room, they were setting up a meal for a large group…beautiful arrangements in a wonderful location I thought.

Location:
By now you have read enough. It is basically ground zero in Vienna. Doesn’t get any better. Strolling the trinity of pedestrian malls around the hotel is a great way to kill time, window shop, people watch, or dine. The malls were also a great way to leisurely reach local attractions. It is two quick subway stop away from the airport express train station.

Hotel Bonus points:
- superb location
- Great value
- Easy access to subway, and sights
- Nice comfortable room sizes
- Great renovation

Faulty points:
- Hard to get a reservation at times if you book last minute.
- Lack of health facilites, but easy to forgive.
- Not exactly a working desk, but it was fine.

Travel Tips:
- the CAT express from city to airport has baggage check-in services at the station, makes travel to airport a breeze. Arrive at least 75 mins before flight to utilize service. Only a handful of airlines have counters.
- Dine at the Do & Co hotel a block away. Reservations required. The beef carpaccio is one of the best I have ever had. Great ambiance for a cool, romantic evening. This is where the local socialites dine too.
- Mozart Museum was a waste of 9 euro. Aside from the fact that he lived there for a few years, all the artifacts were photocopies, or a sample of furnishings from the period (even that, only a few pieces were on display.)

Verdict:
Absolutely the hotel of choice when I visit next time, hard to beat the value and location. Tho I would like to try the Do & Co hotel down the street. I could not get a reservations at Do & Co. It looked pretty cool, and pricier.

• Stayed February 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank buddytraveler
Australia
Reviewed 21 September 2008

There's not really much to add, the location is unbelievable! We were also very lucky in that we had one of the rooms opposite the cathedral, and it was just beautiful - but other members of our group (2 single rooms) said that their rooms were pretty cramped and without any view - guess we were just lucky. Nice and modern, very clean, good breakfast. We were only there 1 night, but it really was the perfect location - make sure you get the view though!

• Liked — Location!
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank BessAust
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 18 July 2008

Our family of five stayed here for a week starting with New Years' Eve. We had a great dinner in the restaurant which looks over the square. Everyone was down there with their fireworks. What a great introduction to Vienna!
The hotel is a very modern fit-out. We booked two delux rooms and they were huge! Each had a bedroom as well as a sitting room. Bathrooms were generous. The rooms were really nice and very comfortable.
Staff were a bit haphazard. Front desk varied form distant to helpful and friendly. Restaurant were generally awful. They just didn't come across as happy to be there. Not rude, just unhelpful and uncaring. Is it Vienna?
Anyway, the location is unbelievable. The main cathedral (Stephansplatz) is on the other side of the square. Our room (but not the kids') looked straight onto it and if we opened the window (very good insulation) we could hear the huge bells. So close and so amazing! All the main streets with the shops and cafes are around. Make sure you ask for a room looking out onto the cathedral - it is worth the extra money.

• Liked — location and great rooms
  • Disliked — restaurant service
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Kriselda
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2007

I stayed at this hotel for three nights this week and found it to be excellent in every way.Firstly the hotel is located right in the centre of Vienna literally steps from a tube stop that will get you most places in the city in minutes.The tube is clean well signposted and fast.The area has great shopping ,restaurants catering to various tastes and budgets and feels very safe.
The hotel is located in an old building that has recently been refurbished.The staff were all super helpful and friendly.The room was spotlessly clean ,a bit compact, --it was a single and the bathroom had a really great shower and plenty of space to store things. A robe is provided and also ample towels.Lighting was good.
The breakfasts were also very good.Whether you are looking for light and healthy or a heart attack on a plate its available .Good espresso also.There is also a small bar which serves drinks coffee etc in the evening but no restaurant.
I requested wake up calls every morning as I was in Vienna to attend a conference and they were always exactly on time(not always a given) and the staff went out of their way to help with directions ,cabs etc.I would rate this hotel as a very superior 3* and can recommend it as a great base from which to visit Vienna whether for business or tourism

Stayed October 2007
Belfast
Reviewed 27 July 2007

This hotel must have one of the best locations in Vienna. We could practically touch St Stephens Cathederal from our bedroom. Our room was large & modern and the bathroom had a bath and a separate shower. The underground station was right outside but a lot of the attractions were within walking distance anyway. The staff were helpful and friendly. I would certainly recommend this Hotel.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 June 2007

We just returned from Vienna & stayed at the hotel. The location was fabulous - right in the centre, close to all the sights. The hotel was very nice, the room & the bathrooms were spotless. It seems to have been renovated recently. Our only gripe with the hotel was that the rooms did not have dark shades so the sun would come into the room really early in the morning(around 5 am). Their buffet breakfast was also good. I would highly recommend this place to anyone going to vienna.

• Liked — Location could not have been better
  • Disliked — No dark shades on the window/ & only 2 english channels on TV
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family