Hotel Am Stephansplatz
  • Room Service
Hotel Lamee(Vienna)
  • Restaurant
2,282 results
All reviewscathedral viewperfect locationst stephan's cathedralseparate showerbreakfast roomwonderful hotelcentrally located hotelthe hotel staffthe heart of the citywithin easy walking distancewould highly recommend this hotelspanish riding schoolmetro stationsuperior roomold cityvisit viennabreakfast was excellent
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 June 2009

This was my 5th visit to Vienna, and my 5th different hotel.
You can't beat this hotels location, directly opposite Stephensplatz and right next to the subway. Easy access to the main attractions either on foot or subway.
The hotel itself was nothing special, rooms were a good size and there was internet access available.
To to the location (near the horse and carriages) the restaurant smelt a bit.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 May 2009

If you want to have a great view to Stephans cathedral, then it's for you. If not, don't go there. You pay only for this view and nothing else. Usual room like in every 4-stars hotel. Usual continental breakfast. One year ago I stayed at DO&CO hotel. The room in DO&CO was smaller, but more beautiful.
One more thing. They close the entrance door at 11 p.m. So you need to wait until somebody from reception will open it. It's very strange for the hotel in the centre of Vienna.
I was diissapointed because of one more thing. I forgot my jacket in the room, and when I came back for my luggage I told them that I stayed in room 406. They didn't give me my clothes. But only after I told them that I forgot it, they decided to give it to me.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Pashaslon
Reviewed 11 November 2008

Great location, face front of Stephansplatz, and subway entrance is literally in between the hotel and church. Hotel renovation done right. Nice rooms, amenities, friendly staff. I moved here from the Hilton hotel and was much happier (see my Hilton hotel review). Book early b/c it fills up fast, especially during peak season. I had wanted a two night stay but was only able to get one night (last minute) after my less than enjoyable Hilton stay.

Booking & Rate:
Travelocity.com, 159 euro++, breakfast included. February 2008. While I was waiting at the lobby for room to be ready, a walk-in couple was quoted a room rate of 215 euro. I chased after them outside, and tried to explain that internet rates would be cheaper. They probably didn’t understand me, and brushed me off like a peddler. I bet they found another messed up hotel for more…

Room:
Was assigned room 602. View of side alley, and if I stuck my head out the window, I could see Stephansplatz. Room was tad bigger than normal hotel rooms, with a generous bathroom area, separate bathtub and shower. I poked my head into other rooms, and the ones directly facing the church had slightly smaller bathrooms and room area. Personally, I’d rather have the bigger room and bath. It was newly renovated, and some workers were still working on a floor (feb 2008). Nice amenities, thick bathrobes, slippers, safe, free water. Its small detail, but I loved that there were many many electrical outlets -- at the table, and at the Ethernet connection point. Its so nice to see when hotels do renovations right and pay attention to the needs of multi-gadget travelers today! I found it odd that a designated smoking floor would have matches and ash tray. There was a free delicious free bottle of flavored water. The king was a two bed combined kind – oh well. Bed was firmly comfortable and the sheets clean and supple.

Internet:
Fast free internet access, wifi and ethernet connection – hello Slingbox! Bravo!

Hotel:
Beautiful contemporary design with many artworks adorning the hotel. What it lacks on facilities, it makes up on design, service and location. Second floor was the dining room. Breakfast was beautifully presented, even if its just decent selections to get you going in morning. You do get to enjoy breakfast facing the beautiful church. Adjacent in the function room, they were setting up a meal for a large group…beautiful arrangements in a wonderful location I thought.

Location:
By now you have read enough. It is basically ground zero in Vienna. Doesn’t get any better. Strolling the trinity of pedestrian malls around the hotel is a great way to kill time, window shop, people watch, or dine. The malls were also a great way to leisurely reach local attractions. It is two quick subway stop away from the airport express train station.

Hotel Bonus points:
- superb location
- Great value
- Easy access to subway, and sights
- Nice comfortable room sizes
- Great renovation

Faulty points:
- Hard to get a reservation at times if you book last minute.
- Lack of health facilites, but easy to forgive.
- Not exactly a working desk, but it was fine.

Travel Tips:
- the CAT express from city to airport has baggage check-in services at the station, makes travel to airport a breeze. Arrive at least 75 mins before flight to utilize service. Only a handful of airlines have counters.
- Dine at the Do & Co hotel a block away. Reservations required. The beef carpaccio is one of the best I have ever had. Great ambiance for a cool, romantic evening. This is where the local socialites dine too.
- Mozart Museum was a waste of 9 euro. Aside from the fact that he lived there for a few years, all the artifacts were photocopies, or a sample of furnishings from the period (even that, only a few pieces were on display.)

Verdict:
Absolutely the hotel of choice when I visit next time, hard to beat the value and location. Tho I would like to try the Do & Co hotel down the street. I could not get a reservations at Do & Co. It looked pretty cool, and pricier.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank buddytraveler
Reviewed 21 September 2008

There's not really much to add, the location is unbelievable! We were also very lucky in that we had one of the rooms opposite the cathedral, and it was just beautiful - but other members of our group (2 single rooms) said that their rooms were pretty cramped and without any view - guess we were just lucky. Nice and modern, very clean, good breakfast. We were only there 1 night, but it really was the perfect location - make sure you get the view though!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank BessAust
Reviewed 18 July 2008

Our family of five stayed here for a week starting with New Years' Eve. We had a great dinner in the restaurant which looks over the square. Everyone was down there with their fireworks. What a great introduction to Vienna!
The hotel is a very modern fit-out. We booked two delux rooms and they were huge! Each had a bedroom as well as a sitting room. Bathrooms were generous. The rooms were really nice and very comfortable.
Staff were a bit haphazard. Front desk varied form distant to helpful and friendly. Restaurant were generally awful. They just didn't come across as happy to be there. Not rude, just unhelpful and uncaring. Is it Vienna?
Anyway, the location is unbelievable. The main cathedral (Stephansplatz) is on the other side of the square. Our room (but not the kids') looked straight onto it and if we opened the window (very good insulation) we could hear the huge bells. So close and so amazing! All the main streets with the shops and cafes are around. Make sure you ask for a room looking out onto the cathedral - it is worth the extra money.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with family