“Best Location in Vienna - Loved my stay!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Am Stephansplatz

Hotel Am Stephansplatz
Ranked #11 of 367 Hotels in Vienna
san francisco, ca
“Best Location in Vienna - Loved my stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2010

This is such a cool hotel! The location alone is fantastic! The breakfast is wonderful (so fresh!) and your view is St. Stephen's Cathedral. The style is modern and it has been designed with great use of space and modern conveniences. The rooms are spotless, modern and sleek. If you really want to be in the thick of it all, stay at this hotel. You will not regret it!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (426)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2010

I stayed 2 nights at Hotel Am Stephansplatz. You cannot beat the location - located over the Subway station so it was easy trip from the Airport, plus easy reach to the other train stations. My room at the view of the Cathedral - it was nice to just wake up and see the huge Cathedral from the bed and and just about any where in the room. The breakfast was also great (it was included in my rate) - Lots of choices to eat and it filled me up for a long day of sightseeing. Being centrally located - it was about a 10 minute walk to the Hofburg and Museum Quarter (or you can talk the subway). The free Wi-Fi also helps make the experience very enjoyable :)

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2010

I only had a one night stay in Vienna but after staying at Hotel Am Stephansplatz I would have loved to have stayed much longer. The staff were wonderful from the moment I checked it to the next morning when I left. I had breakfast included in my rate but wasn't able to have the usual breakfast fare as I had a 6am flight to catch and had to leave the hotel by about 4.30am. The lovely staff working in the morning arranged for me to take some breakfast on the road with me - including carrying it to the taxi for me while I got settled in. Such a small gesture but it was really thoughtful and something I didn't come across during the rest of my 5 week holiday across Europe. The location of the hotel is brilliant - directly across from St Stephans Cathedral. As I was only in town for one night I wanted a hotel that was centrally located - and I wasn't disappointed. Some friends I was meeting in Vienna for dinner were incredibly envious when I showed them my hotel location from the cathedral. And as other reviewers had said considering how central the hotel is to the city centre it is very quiet at night so I had a good night's sleep. All the features in my room were modern, the room had a good amount of space and the bathroom was wonderful. I also appreciated the free wi-fi in my room. The next time I'm in Vienna I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank whoddo
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2010

This hotel could not be more central...literally. Perfectly located immediately across from the front door of the St. Stephen's Cathedral...you can look at the church from the breakfast room. The hotel is modern and clean and the rooms were very nice. Breakfast (included for us) was very good...lots of variety. Despite the central location, it was very quiet at night. Being right on the main square, there were plenty of restaurants and shopping nearby. Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RufusBambufus
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2010

I have just realised that this hotel is only 31/2 stars, so I will be a little less critical than I had intended to be. Nevertheless, it deserves only 3 stars.

My wife and I stayed at this well located hotel for three nights. During the train journey to Vienna, I read the tripadvisor reviews and, at check-in, observed that we seemed to be paying more than most guests and supposed that that was reflected in the type of room reserved for us. The receptionist confirmed that we had a very nice room. There was no help with our bags so we found our own way to a pleasantly decorated, rather small room that faced into an ugly internal courtyard. The room was too warm and we couldn't get the air conditioning to turn on. Upon enquiring we were advised that the AC doesn't work when the outside temperature falls below a certain level and that we should open a window. Which of course we did. So we were awoken at 6.00 by church bells. And in case we found this experience to be pleasant, hotel staff started hosing down the skylights outside our window shortly afterwards!

Breakfast was poor in both quality and selection. We were even expected to squeeze our own orange juice! English-language newspapers were always at least one day old. No coffee facilities in room. Three things not working properly in the room: reported in writing but only one was fixed during our stay. A wall corner guard had evidently come off and the resulting damage to the wall had not been repaired.

I have no doubt that the building complies with local fire codes since it has been recently refurbished and recognise that you cannot expect all countries to follow North American standards, but I was a little concerned that the floor had only one fire exit and its travel distance from our room was about 40 metres. There did appear to be an emergency catwalk and ladder outside our window but you woud have to be a bit of a gymnast to use it.

And if you've had a pleasant evening in Vienna and would like to close it out with a night cap, forget about it. The bar closes at 10.00pm.

We know that you can do much better than this in Vienna.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank DandDToronto
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2010

The Am Stephanplatz Hotel is right in the centre of Vienna. The location is such that you can walk to almost anywhere you want to go and if you can’t and need to take the subway there’s a station right outside the hotel. The rooms are clean and well appointed, the beds very comfortable, the service efficient and friendly. I loved their breakfast. You can make your own fresh orange juice and they have everything you can think of including eggs, bacon and sausage. We were in Vienna for four nights and I would love to go back. When I do I will make sure I stay in the Am Stephaplatz.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jon056
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2010

While passing through Vienna, I decided to stay overnight. I walked into the Hotel Am Stephansplatz, which is in the beautiful central part of the city, opposite St. Stephan's cathedral. The location could not be better--it is surrounded by great food, historic sites, and shopping.

I was not aware that there are hotel rooms in Austria in which smoking is allowed. I have asthma, and when I found that I had been given a smoker's room, I asked to be moved. Even though there were no non-smoker's single rooms left, the staff had no difficulty in dealing with the situation. I was immediately offered an available suite. I found the staff to be very friendly and efficient. They speak English and I heard them conversing in a variety of other languages.

I slept very well. The room was totally quiet, despite the central-city location. The air was great--no extreme air conditioning or carpets. The decor is clean and elegant, with wooden floors.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business