“So standard, yet a good value for your money.”
Review of Bellevue Hotel

Bellevue Hotel
Ranked #204 of 360 Hotels in Vienna
Roma
“So standard, yet a good value for your money.”
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I've stayed here in October 2012 with my Lady. We were attracted by the price.

Arrived in late afternoon, we checked-in within 1 minute, which is on one hand nice, but on the other hand it is not really super, as this doesn't give the guest a very warm feel of being welcomed, nor useful advices. In any case the staff was relatively kind during this superfast check-in.

The hotel boasts a quite traditional style, our superior room was quite big, standard equipments, free wi-fi. Personally I hate the moquette, so I wasn't really happy, but it has to be said that the moquette was clean and not in a bad shape. The bathroom was ok: standard clean, yet a little small. The soundproof of the window made their job, yet still something could be heard when the tramway strolled by.

The staff is professional and helpful, yet not so cheery. Too cold, but not at the level it can be annoying.

The location is not so far from the very historical center, a nice walk of 25 minutes is needed, but it is worth the try. If I'm not wrong in front of the hotel there is a jolly good park, and close there's a Billa supermarket and in front of the Billa building a nice "italian-ish" restaurant. A traditional austrian pub-restaurant (with very good meals) completes the surroundings.

All in all I can say Bellevue is a standard four star hotel, very good value for your money. If I'd be back in Vienna I would surely consider to come back here.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DrThomasRoma

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I'll begin with the positives. I'm an American and was traveling between countries. At the time we walked in to check in there was a mob of people at the desk and they handled all of them professionally and quickly, it was honestly impressive. The bathroom was the biggest bathroom we've had since we left the US, and there is a cheap laundry service right next door. The hotel's location is nothing short of awesome, a short walk to the tram and the underground rail to connect to anywhere. There's a Billa (grocery store) right across the street, so if you want a dinner or drinks in without anything you just pick some stuff up.

The cons are this, the hotel staff, while extremely efficient, didn't speak the best English and came off as surly and very mean. Asking a minor question about services (yes or no) the hotel replies only got me answers such as "it's in the book in your room, please look there", "it's in the pamphlet provided by hotel". You also have to pay for wifi, and it isn't cheap (once you think about it anyway), Ten euro a day, around thirteen dollars per day, is extremely expensive for something I can go across the street (McDonald's has free wifi) and get for free.

For the money you're paying for location, I can't say I honestly recommend this hotel when I know the Mozart is right down the road for a similar price. We stayed for four nights.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Alex D
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights as part of rail tour. Taxi from Westbahnhof cost 12€ but it is a 20 minute trip on tram 5. Had a room at the back, good size, two chairs and table as well as desk. Very good AC, minibar not too expensive! Small bathroom but good sized bath. Shower is via bath taps, not that strong and very difficult to get water temperature right which, considering how hot the water is, could be dangerous for children. Had a washing line and clothes dried quickly. No toiletries supplied, just soap dispensers.
Breakfast buffet is good for fruit, cold meats, cheese and has excellent bread. Hot dishes limited to sausage, bacon, scrambled egg and boiled eggs. Good coffee and tea and you can also have a glass of Sekt!
Internet in lobby is free but requires a login I'd and a password. It only lasts 30 minutes and I thought the bandwidth was very poor. Wifi in room costs 9€ for 24 hours, much better bandwidth but not good value.
There are some nice restaurants not too far away and tram D is very good, frequent and goes to centre.
We found the staff friendly and helpful.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Number34
Kraber, on behalf of Ingrid Zingrosch, General Manager at Bellevue Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2013
Dear guest,

thank you very much for your comment about your stay at the Hotel Bellevue.
I am glad, that you enjoyed our breakfast buffet with fresh juices, fresh fruit salad and many more and even enjoyed a glass of SEKT ...
In regards to our internet, I want to point out, that we are currently looking into ways on how to improve this free service for our guests in respect to accessibility and comfort.

Because we are an "Umweltzeichen Hotel", this means, we take care of our enviroment and try to avoid garbage we have 'just soap dispensers'

We would be happy to welcome you again.
Best regards, Ingrid Zingrosch, General Manager
london
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Having stayed here for two nights I feel comfortable advising all visitors to Vienna to avoid this hotel at all costs.

I left my suitcase at the hotel and valuables with reception (to go in their safe) in the morning. Then in the afternoon, on the way to the airport with a friend, asked the taxi to stop outside whilst I went into collect my bags and things from the safe.

Not only were the desk staff inefficient and unsympathetic with the fact that we had a taxi waiting outside (even after 15 minutes) but stroppy and rude when we tried to explain. 'Multitasking' and 'getting on with it' doesn't seem to be something they are familiar with.

I collect my bags and hand over the key I had been given to my compartment in the safe, but the lady at reception, Manuela, couldn't seem to open it. I could hear Manuela and her colleagues behind the office doors shuffling, chatting and giggling - obviously they thought that losing my passport and jewellery two and a half hours before my flight was funny! Nobody came to explain what was going on, never mind apologise or say they are sorry that the cab was waiting. Eventually after some time and 20 euros later in cab fees, a rather rude man comes out and barks at me, in front of a reception of people (all watching), that I SHOULD HAVE COME EARlER! He was somehow implying that this was my fault and that had I left more time, this wouldn't have been an issue!!!!! I simply assumed that they would know how to open their own safe! This was a despicable tone to take and to make matters worse, the rude man just turned his back and refused to even talk to me.

I'm very reluctant to write reviews like this about hotels and especially individuals - I have done so on this occasion because I think this sort of arrogant ineptitude is so rare.

I would advise that Bellevue Hotel:

A) Train their staff to understand that when guests leave their valuables with the reception safe, they have done so because the things they are storing are exactly that - VALUABLE. Not knowing how to open the safe and then finding the scenario entertaining is absurd.

B) Train staff to understand that when you make a mistake (ie - do not know how to do something you SHOULD know how to do, or waste your guests' time) then you acknowledge this and apologise - you take responsibility for your mistake. Just a simple 'sorry about this' or reassurance of 'don't worry we will open it' would have sufficed. I wouldn't have felt angry at at all.

C) Management should train staff to be polite and observe basic etiquette. If a guest has something to say - surely the least you can do is stand there and talk to them - not just turn around and ignore them.

Any hotel that is so careless with valuables and rude to guests, falls very low in my esteem and I feel certain it will for others too. Place your trust somewhere else!

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank zbilgrami
Kraber, on behalf of Ingrid Zingrosch, General Manager at Bellevue Hotel, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
Dear guest,

Normally we receive Feedback concerning the hotel, its location, the rooms, the breakfast and we gladly respond. On this occasion it would appear that the problem stems from the fact that a taxi was kept waiting, despite the fact that it cannot be known how long it will have to wait.

We naturally regret the inconvenience caused and take note that it is easy to express frustrations on TripAdvisor. However that your frustration justifies a heading of ‘Avoid like the plague’ we strongly question.
For the sake of good order, we would just like to point out that at the time in question, no male staff member was on duty at the reception. We can only emphasize that our staff are very well trained in matters of etiquette and are fully aware of how to treat guests respectfully.

Ingrid Zingrosch, General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Vienna hotels

San Diego
Reviewed 27 July 2013

We were on a Contiki Tour, so I have no idea what the room rate was however:

The location is rather off the beaten path. Yes, you can get to public transport, but there's really not much in the area.

The hotel itself is magnificent. A relic from a bygone era, it's has a very historic facade, and I'm sure it has an interesting history. The staircase is breath-taking - literally and figuratively, as our room was on the 4th floor, and we really weren't too keen on taking the tiny/slow/ancient elevators.

The rooms were okay. They were a decent size, and they did have airconditioners, but the AC units were programmed to reset and turn off every hour. It was rather warm and stuffy as the windows did not open. For a couple, our "king" bed was really just two double beds pushed together, and I ended up getting wedged in the ditch each night.

The hotel has a breakfast buffet that was decent, and the staff that we interacted with were all courteous. WiFi is available, but it was horrible. Incredibly slow and frustrating - often useless.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stacy G
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The beds were very comfortable (we've stayed in many hotels in Europe, and a comfortable bed is not always guaranteed!). The air conditioner worked well, the room and facilities were clean, and the staff is friendly and helpful. Although not in the main tourist part of the city, it does have a good location - there's a Billa grocery store and a McDonald's right across the street (located in the Franz Josef Bahnhof plaza), and you can jump on the tram and be within walking distance to Stephensplatz in just a few minutes. One bummer -wifi costs extra...but I guess that's why we walked over to McDonald's...

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Kraber, on behalf of Ingrid Zingrosch, General Manager at Bellevue Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Dear David,
thank you very much for your comment. I am really happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay in Vienna and especially at our Hotel Bellevue. For future reference: you can reach the most famous sights with tram number D, which stop is only 3 min away walking distance.
The Wifi in the lobby and the restaurant and the bar is free of charge. Maybe you enjoy a typical "Wiener Melange" whilst checking your emails.
I hope this wasn't your last trip to our beautiful city, so please don't hesitate to contact me perswonally next time.

Best regards, Ingrid Zingrosch, General Manager
Surprise
Reviewed 3 June 2013

My husband and I stayed here for three nights. I thought the interior and exterior of the building were pretty nice. The room was fairly large and clean. The hotel staff was nice and friendly. The best part is it is about 5 minutes from the tram and less than 10 minutes from the metro. Very easy to get into the city center. I did have one small issue with the shower stall. The door did not close properly and water leaked out onto the floor. However, for the money, I think this is a good choice.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple