“What a great hotel!”

Ranked #32 of 360 Hotels in Vienna
Atlanta, Ga
“What a great hotel!”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I really enjoyed this hotel. I'm not sure why it's not ranked higher on TA. It's perfectly located in the altstadt steps away from anything you'd want to do. My room even had a view of the steeple of St. Stephens. The room and the bath were spacious, well appointed and quiet. The front desk staff could not have been more helpful. The breakfast was my best breakfast experience on this trip. After the first day the server remembered my coffee order and my room number - it was a very civilized way to start the day. If I have to be picky, my only complaint would be the wi-fi connectivity: if idle for more than five or ten minutes you had to go through the log-in process. I'm sure the hotel can fix that easily enough as it's just a setting. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: I stayed in a room facing the courtyard which seemed to be a quiet choice.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank BobZAtlanta_Ga

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 11 April 2012

This hotel is very comfortable and has a touch of class. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The breakfasts were very good indeed. The location is great - very close to the Stephansplatz and Kärntner Strasse. We found we could walk everywhere. We went in late June when all the outdoor cafes were open, which gave the place quite a buzz. I'd love to go back in winter next time.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank biggersn
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Unforgettable experience
Breakfast beautiful, silver cutlery, staff remembered our preferences the first day and following 6 mornings were serving us coffee with double milk, double coffee little milk, hot chocolate etc (there were 5 of us). The best coffee I’ve ever had – could be due to Vienna water but not even Sacher could match it. Next time will ask about it
Very clean and quite, nicely warm in the middle of the Austrian winter. Loved it

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank lanags
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 22 March 2012

The hotel was one of best we've stayed in Europe. Room was very big, comfortable beds and a large bathroom. The breakfast was very good and included with the room. The staff were exceptional, friendly and helpful. The hotel was very convenient to everything and we will definitely stay there again if we return to Vienna.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jeanne A
Beverly Hills
Reviewed 16 March 2012

We have used the Kaiserin Elisabeth for several stays in Vienna, actually just around the corner from the Stephansplatz and Cathedral. The staff is incredibly friendly and supportive, breakfasts are delicious, but the rooms are just adequate. Some have windows over tiny courtyards or bare walls, as I recall on one stay. Those over the street can be noisy. It is not the cheapest around, but for us senior citizens, it saves a lot of walking.

Current room rates start at 220 dollars and go up, breakfast included. Parking is a minor problem. and driving the one-way streets on approach requires careful reading of the street maps and planning the route.

Room Tip: Look at more than one room, and open the windows to evaluate noise levels. This is classic old Vien...
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank PaullMD
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Only two blocks from the cathedral, a more central location would be impossible to achieve. Most of the destinations in which visitors are most likely to be interested are readily accessible. Rooms are comfortable, quiet, and easy to reach from the old fashioned but apparently reliable elevator. Service is adequate, though the helpfulness of front desk personnel varies from one clerk to another. Breakfast is excellent. Several fine restaurants (and a McDonald's) are within a five minute walk. I do not recommend the Kaiserin Elisabeth for those traveling by car, as it is awkward and difficult to reach for anyone not already familiar with downtown Vienna's streets, and the nearest parking facility is a good many blocks away.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Murray H
Boston
Reviewed 19 February 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Kaiserin Elisabeth during one of our recent trips to Europe in the fall of 2011. I have to start off by saying that the hotel is amazingly located right in the center of Vienna, only steps away from the main shopping streets. The rooms are very nice, modern, spacious and extremely clean. All of the rooms had free WiFi which made catching up on emails really easy. One of the best parts of the hotel was that they have an excellent breakfast spread set up every morning. The breakfast consisted of juice, coffee, water, rolls / croissants, fruit, some hot plates, yogurt, etc.
We did have a couple of small drawbacks that prevented me from giving this hotel the highest rating. First, we had an issue in our room where we couldn't turn off the heat (I know this sounds dumb, but I literally turned off the thermostat and tried turning off the heater itself). This led our room to be absolutely roasting hot. I walked down to the reception desk and spoke with the gentleman pretty much said tough luck. So for the next two days we slept with the window open which was problematic since the streets were extremely noisy. After two days of sleeping miserably, we readdressed it with the hotel staff who sent up their maintenance crew and found that the heater was in fact not responding to the thermostat. This wasn't a huge draw back, because I think it reflects only on that one reception person we dealt with and not the hotel itself.
Overall, I would definitely stay there again without hesitation. The location is perfect, rooms are great, and breakfast was awesome.

Room Tip: Would try to avoid rooms located on the main street if possible since it can get noisy at night.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple