“A nonworking air conditoner lead to unpleasent customer service”
Review of Kaiserin Elisabeth

Kaiserin Elisabeth
Ranked #32 of 361 Hotels in Vienna
Jerusalem, Israel
“A nonworking air conditoner lead to unpleasent customer service”
Reviewed 6 October 2012

After reading reviews for hours I decided to book a single room at Kaiserin Elisabeth. My two requirements for a Vienna hotel were a quiet room with air conditioning. I arrived at 8:30pm and checked in with the nice night clerk. When I got to the room and turned on the air conditioner in made a very loud noise. I went down to the night clerk to complain who sent someone to check it. He said..."late, fix tomorrow" in broken English. I came back down and asked for another room but was told the hotel was booked. I was not going to be able to sleep and enjoy my night in Vienna so I decided to leave. I walked passed the Hilton so I knew where it was. I pulled out my laptop and checked the rates and availability and left for the Hilton.

The next day I emailed the reservation department and explained what happened. They told me the air conditioning was working fine and I would be charged for the night and if they succeed in renting the room for the following night they would not charge me. Luckily, they rented it and I was only charged for one night.

After returning home, I filled a dispute with American Express and was refunded my one night's "stay" at the "Kaiserin Elisabeth".

I understand that things break. The reception should have agreed with me and not charged me at all for a nonworking room.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank injerusalem

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 29 September 2012 via mobile

After researching many hotels in Vienna, I'm so happy we chose HKE: the location is unparalleled; our room was large, very clean, quiet, and comfortable; the bathroom had double sinks and a very good shower; and breakfast was ample with a good variety of items. But the hotel's "crowning glory" is the wonderful staff who went above and beyond to help with restaurant reservations, day trip arrangements, directions, taxis etc. We were made to feel welcome and at home throughout our stay. You can find more amenities at the larger chain hotels but if you want a truly charming Viennese experience, then book a Superior Double Room and let the great staff of HKE take care of the rest.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2012

This hotel exceeded expectations. We booked a superior double for five nights in mid-September, 2012 based on Tripadvisor ratings. Location, style, staff, breakfast, room, price. . . everything was excellent. Most Vienna sights are within walking distance. We booked day trips to Salzburg and a Danube river cruise to Melk at the front desk that were fun and hassle free.

The reception staff booked airport pick-up and return with hotel chauffeur at very competitive price. The hotel itself is a piece of art. You can't go wrong here.

Windsor, Ontario
Reviewed 24 September 2012

While the hotel was quite nice and close to everything there were a number of issues that make me tell people not to stay there. When everything goes well with your stay at a hotel it's easy for the staff to be friendly however it is when problems come up that the true quality of service comes out. First issue was with the people working on reservations..my husband and I were travelling with a family of 7 and they had made a reservation for 3 rooms on 4th floor (overlooking the street) for 2 nights. I sent by email a request for a room overlooking inner court (was concerned about noise). I did give them the wrong dates (starting 1 day later) however I referenced the family's name to say we were travelling with them and also forwarded the email that the hotel had sent to my friend to help with the co-ordination of 2 reservations. So when we arrived the man at desk told me of problem, told me they had to charge us for the night before but they were giving us a larger room. He led me to believe that I hadn't referenced the other parties which I thought strange that I wouldn't have done that. We went up to our room and I found my paperwork (printed out emails) that showed that I had referenced the other family's name and also had forwarded the hotel's email to cross-reference. I went back down to desk to show my email and explain that while a larger room was nice that I felt us paying 50% of room was meeting them halfway. I felt that I was 50% wrong but that the staff that gets these emails to book the reservation was also 50% wrong. What was the point of me giving them the other family's name and also the hotel's email?
The man became upset and was showing displeasure for me requesting this option. After his attitude I then mentioned that I would be writing a review on TripAdvisor and he really got mad. I've worked in customer service before and while some customers can upset you, you should be able to stay professional and just listen. Every person has the right to write reviews on TripAdvisor.
Things went even worse for the other family. We all arrived around 3:00 pm and we put our luggage in rooms, turned on a/c as it was 30c outside. We left to wander around city. After dinner we returned to rooms and found out that 2 of the 3 rooms on 4th floor the a/c wasn't working. There were no other rooms except for some room that was not much larger than a closet with one bed in it. So the one room with 2 adults and 2 children and another room with 2 adults didn't have a/c for the night. The next day they asked if it was going to be fixed and were told yes. All day long, every time we came back from some sight seeing they were told it would be fixed. Unfortunately it never was fixed after each return to the room. After dinner the 2nd day (our last night there) the young lady with 2 children went down to front desk to complain about the lies that they kept being told as to when a/c would be fixed. There was never any offer of monetary compensation. This new man at desk told her that the problem was on the whole 4th floor (to make her think it wasn't just their room and not much they could do with such a large problem). Of course he didn't know that she was travelling with people that were in 2 other rooms on the 4th floor and that 1 of those rooms the a/c was just fine and the other room was working somewhat. So again it was another lie that the hotel was telling her. Her husband then came down and 2 other members of family. This man (different guy from my arrogant guy) started yelling at her and they were completely shocked and insulted that a staff member would be yelling at someone. All along he had tried to just talk to husband as if he didn't want to deal with a woman. They finally decided to leave the desk as arguing was not what they wanted for their vacation. When they checked out next morning they gave a 10% reduction (not much for sweating in a room for 2 nights with children and being yelled at).
The staff at this hotel was a very poor representation of Austrian people and to be honest I don't know if I would go back to Vienna as it really soured my view of their people. I really got the sense from all the male staff there that maybe the Austrian personality is not one that I really want to visit with again. I guess that part isn't really fair but the hotel staff was our 1st representation of being with Austrians and you know what they say about 1st impressions.
My husband and I had stayed at a hotel in Zvolen, Slovakia for 3 nights right before getting to Vienna and the hotel had a/c but only had the cooling part on between 12:00 pm and 6:00 pm. When we asked about it they gave us their fan, and the last night they let us have the full a/c during the night. Even though we were really hot the one night and the one day getting ready for a wedding the staff was helpful and apologetic. They were very friendly and never did they get upset with us asking for more a/c or if they could they make it colder.
If we ever do go back to Vienna we would definitely not stay at Hotel Kaisirin Elisabeth.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank KonaWindsor
klindert, Manager at Kaiserin Elisabeth, responded to this review, 27 September 2012
Dear Hotel Guest,

Thank you for your review below. Getting feedback from our guests is very important for us, even if it is unfortunately not that positive in this case.

We would like to take this opportunity to point out the following:

One of your rooms has been booked by yourself one day before actual arrival. Just when all of you arrived, we have been informed that during the reservation, the arrival date for one room has been booked wrong.
This reservation error happened your end, and was not our fault at all. Your room has been available and kept free for you. Without knowing before that you will not arrive as booked, we had no chance to try and sell the room last minute in order to avoid any penalty for you. So according to our cancellation policy we had to charge one night finally.

We understand that this situation made you upset on your arrival, but again this was not our fault. Trying to calm down the situation we have arranged an upgrading from a Standard to one of our Superior rooms for you.

We are very sorry that there have been problems with our aircondition during your stay. Please be assured that we have tried our best to fix it as quick as possible. The company in charge need to be called, unfortunately this could not be done on our own.
We have offered to change the rooms where aircondition did not work properly, but this has been refused your side. Finally on your departure a discount has been given as well.

We are sorry that you have not felt comfortable during your stay with us, but please be assured that our staff is always trying to provide best possible service.

Sincerely yours
HOTEL KAISERIN ELISABETH
Andrea Holland / Marketing & Sales
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Pros:
Friendly, helpful staff
Large rooms and bathrooms
Clean
Location close to back streets away from tourists

Cons:
Smoky hallways
Location too close to tacky, touristy area
Wi-fi - drops constantly or can't be found by device
No bar soap, cheap shampoo
No views from quieter rooms

The staff at the Hotel Kaiserin Elizabeth stand out as the best part of the hotel and enhanced our stay in Vienna. Like nearly everyone in the tourist areas of Vienna, they spoke excellent English. They helped us with restaurant reservations and recommended places where the locals go for lunch or dinner away from the tourist hordes. They also helped with directions, good advice on things to see (and to skip), and any other requests we had. I can't imagine how anyone would find fault with the service here; every front desk person was helpful and friendly throughout our stay, no matter what time of day it was or who was on duty.

Our room was very large even by American standards, with a walk-in closet, high ceilings, and a large bathroom with a double-vanity sink, a separate WC and a soaking tub. The king-sized bed was firm and comfortable, with just a slight gap in the middle. My only quibble with the bathroom was the lack of bar soap and shampoo (only a very pungent liquid soap/shampoo in a wall dispenser was provided). There was no shower curtain, of course, but the glass half-screen adequately kept the bathroom dry when using the shower.

The hotel itself offered a beautiful, elegant space to escape the crowds just outside. The lobby, sitting room, and breakfast room all succeeded in evoking old-world decor and charm. My only issue with the common areas was that the hallways outside the rooms could be smoky at times, even though our room was non-smoking. The smell of cigarette smoke also extended to the lobby area.

One other problem was the very poor wi-fi system. Connections were often unavailable and always had a very weak signal; when the network could be found, we had to log in with multiple pieces of information every time; and the signal often dropped after a few minutes, requiring another login. I also had trouble finding a signal in the breakfast room. Speaking of breakfast, the breakfast room was large and beautifully furnished, with the breakfast itself being a hearty buffet of meats, fried vegetables, pastries, and cheeses, along with some lighter options such as cereal and yogurt.

Depending on what you like, the hotel's location is either a plus or a slight minus. It is literally just a few steps from the must-see St. Stephan's Cathedral, but Stephansplatz, the area around the cathedral, is an assault on both senses and sensibilities. It is filled with an ugly mob of tourists, cheap souvenir stands, tourist-trap restaurants, panhandlers, and aggressive costumed Mozarts trying to entice tourists to attend musical performances of dubious quality. If you like being part of the horde, just turn right when you leave the building and join the masses. If you don't, you can turn left to find a pretty neighborhood of restaurants, cafes, shops, and churches that the tourists haven't found, as well as a back way to the cathedral.

This hotel has the potential to be a great one. They already have the staff, rooms, and decor, but they just need to do something about the wi-fi, provide more upscale soaps and shampoos, and move the smokers farther away (or go totally smoke-free).

2 Thank TripBlazer
cambridge
Reviewed 11 September 2012

We had 4 nights in Vienna recently and, prompted by good Trip Advisor reviews chose the Kaiserin Elizabeth. We chose well. We were met at the airport by a taxi, arranged by the hotel. This is well worth the fare. On our arrival at the hotel we were welcomed by friendly and professional staff who all spoke excellent English. When did I last have my bags taken up to the room by a porter, certainly not in a long time. What a treat! Our room was spacious and well appointed. Situated at the back of the hotel it was totally quiet. The bathroom was a good size and the bath was big. Towels were large and of good quality. The bed was roomy and very comfortable. I asked for the feather pillows to be removed and this happened straight away.
The breakfast room is stylish and attractively decorated. The buffet breakfast of a high quality. The situation of this hotel is terrific. All the main sights are within a 10-15 minute walk away and the U Bahn station situated in the next street.
The hotel staff could not have been more helpful. All requests were met with courtesey and prompt attention.The dining room staff and room cleaners were all equally friendly. I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough.

Room Tip: Our room at the back was very quiet.