“Excellent boutique hotel in centre of Vienna”
Review of Kaiserin Elisabeth

Kaiserin Elisabeth
Ranked #34 of 361 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed 9 August 2014

This hotel is centrally located, 20 yds from Karnerstrasse - pedestrian shopping area. Close to many of the must see attractions of Vienna - 2 mins walk from St Stephens Cathedral, 5 mins from Spanish Riding School, 6 mins from Opera House. Metro - very close - less than 2 mins walk. Hotel is old antique bld with modern touches. Only one glass door elevator - never had to wait.
Rooms have parquet floors , large bathrooms with very good shower pressure. Hotel provides liquid soap so you need to walk with your bar soap if that's your preference. Rooms have double doors so that they are very quiet. Our room looked onto an inner courtyard so that we did not have a view of the city.
Many Mc Donald's around! supermarket (bills) on street behind hotel. Many eating places nearby. Graben shopping area just five minutes away. Hotel arranged for transport to and from airport -at very reasonable fare - about 20/25 minutes. Breakfast in large room at ground level with adequate choices. Only limited English TVA channels -watched World Cup matches not understanding words. Hotel front office personnel very very helpful with suggestions for restaurants, attractions etc. esp. Mr Johny Pour. Purchased tickets for Big Bus Tour and Danube River Cruise at front desk but had to pay cash. Will definitely stay here again on our next visit.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CHUCKTRINI
There are newer reviews for Kaiserin Elisabeth

Reviewed 28 July 2014

The hotel front doesn't look like much but once I entered I found wonderful, smiling, friendly faces greeting me at the front desk. The hotel is designed like a pre war kaisers residence with lovely, spacious rooms with lots of storage and huge bathroom. The mini bar prices are reasonable so I used it. Room service is very limited but has very good prices as well. I feel like the upholstered furniture in the rooms need an update and the bedding ie. blankets stashed in the wooded closet to be aired out as there is a slight musty smell. The rooms are clean but on some days cleaning was better than others. I left some small crumbs on the desk and they weren't cleaned off. Breakfast is extensive but I have had better as far as drinks selection, fruits, hot dishes. It's served in a lovely, relaxing room. The hotel is very close to Stephansplatz where city cathedral is. Is seems to be the busiest area of the city and I would avoid it next time. I have seen hotels away from here but in much quieter location. Overall I recommend this hotel for its value, charm and outstanding service, and location if you like to be in the tourist center.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room on higher floor. Mine is facing the court yard and it's blissfully quiet. N...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank agnes9971
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Very charming hotel in central Vienna which gives you a feeling of tranquility in the midst of the city beat. Time also appears to have stood still in terms of the interior design but - apart from it being part of its charm - the hotel is still very well preserved and maintained. The staff is very helpful and the breakfast very good.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

When I first arrived, I was semi-greeted and then the front desk guy kind of just slapped all the map and tour guide pamphlets in front of me with no explanation. The most he asked was if I'd like him to mark where to hotel is. It did not feel like a very warm and friendly welcome. Perhaps because I wasn't officially a guest yet as I was an hour early for check-in. They also did not inform me of the breakfast hours after I did check in.

Breakfast was very basic and uninteresting. I peaked in to see what they had and none of it interested me. They really should offer more fresh fruit like berries and sliced f r e s h pineapple or melon. Their pineapple and melon was practically pale. I didn't eat breakfast here.

I stayed in a standard single's room. But, for the highest floor and a "quiet room," there was a lot of noise. Doors slamming shut and people walking, talking or banging. And, this was literally at 6 am. Also, the AC in the room is very loud and rackety so it's hard to fall asleep to. And, without it it gets pretty hot. The room itself is cozy but all the noise is just awful. This may be because each room has two doors so when someone closes theirs to leave, they have to slam two. So two slams per room can really add up. The pillows also were very flat, but that's Europe..

Before I even got this room, it was not ready even though I came back at 13:00 when they said to. I had to wait 15-20 more minutes until it was finally ready. The front desk person did try to offer me another room while I waited because mine was taking so long. I declined because he said the other room was not as nice or quiet as this one.. Who knows really if the other one was louder than mine because my room, 408, had very thin walls! It's also very close to the maid station.

Wifi is a little slow and spotty, but I still managed to get things done. The bathroom was very spacious and nice. I liked the shower and the amenities provided. Although they do not provide conditioner; just a heads up for women.

The front desk offers a tour that is done daily from a Grayline Vienna sightseeing guide. It is a bus tour around the city with a stop at Schönbrunn palace. Do not take this tour. I am positive it was a waste of time and money. Check the company's reviews, a lot of other people feel the same. It was 44€ and really disappointing. Take a bike tour instead. Really.

By the end of my stay I met the first friendly staff member. His name is Mr. Por (I don't know if I spelled that correctly?) and he was so very friendly and helpful. I appreciated his kindness and warm welcome very much. This is how the front desk should always be! The bag and front door men were very welcoming too.

Overall this hotel felt very nice, but the noise was just frustrating at times. I would recommend staying here if you bring ear plugs, and want to be in the center of absolutely everything. A little far from the museum quarter though.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank travelnutt1
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We stayed at Kaiser Elisabeth in June 2014 and found it to be an excellent hotel and located perfectly close to St Stephans Cathedral, metro, restaurants and shops. Very comfortable room and amenities and the staff were great, especially Afshar who was very helpful on all matters. Would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone considering visiting Vienna.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We spent our honeymoon here and proved to be a great choice. The great thing about this hotel was the gentleman on the desk, who basically acted as tour guides. From giving us tips on great restaurants, to advising on places for us to see. Where local knowledge proved to be a great advantage.
The hotel's location is a real plus, just off the high street, so within easy walk of everything. The breakfast is amazing, nice rooms and when we go back to Vienna we will be going straight back.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We have visited the Kaiserin Elisabeth a number of times and are surprised by the antiquity of the decor, with high ceilings, hardwood floors, and firm beds.

It was with surprise, I learned the building was 750 years old. In spite of that, with small rooms to the back we would not consider (facing adjacent structural walls, or best a fit for a single person, etc.) we stayed in one of the front rooms overlooking the street, but silent with double pane openable windows and competent air conditioning, it still was an effect of going back in time at least one century.

To top it off, by polite questioning and a smile, the warmth of the Reception staff is classic. They give honest opinions and are ready to help with any problem. Unheard of behavior in contemporary Europe.

Breakfasts are included in most programs, and make it easy to fill up before a busy day, with good food and pastries.

All this within 50-80 yards of the Stephansplatz and Cathedral...

Prices are moderate by current standards, but be careful about getting a room with no view, or a room too small. They are half the price of better rooms, but go for the history. You will love it as we do.

Room Tip: Look for rooms to the front of the building.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple