“Good hotel overall”
Review of Hilton Vienna

Ranked #108 of 358 Hotels in Vienna
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We enjoyed our 5 night stay at this Hilton. Staff were friendly, especially Edguardo (Bell Staff). He was very informative and always acknowledged us when in the lobby, which was a nice touch. The hotel is situated in the centre of the city - you can reach the centre of Vienna in 10-15mins walk. Transfers from and to the airport were extremely easy and efficient - we used the CAT airport train which takes only 16mins and stops in a shopping centre opposite the hotel! We arrived in the morning and reception allowed us to check in and also found a room which was ready for us as well, which we found to be great! We had a beautiful Executive room on the 11th floor with great views over the city. The executive lounge was nice as well and we made use of it while in the hotel. One thing I was disappointed with is the choice and amount of food available in the lounge. There were only a few items available everyday - just one or two items for afternoon tea and pre-dinner drinks. I've been to other Hiltons which offer plenty other items! More often than not, there was no space for people to sit in the lounge and seemed to be overcrowded at times. A month before arriving to the hotel, I had emailed them to inform them that my partner is on a gluten free diet. My email was acknowledged by hotel staff before arrival, however we were quite disappointed with the availability of gluten free food. The only gluten free food that could be offered was bread. It is not expensive at all to have some gluten free pasta available in a 5 star hotel, especially if they were made aware of it beforehand! Overall a nice stay and would return if back to Vienna.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Hoteldirektor, Manager at Hilton Vienna, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for sharing your experiences on Tripadvisor.

With pleasure I read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I also highly appreciate your very positive feedback on the helpfulness and friendliness of our staff.

Furthermore, I would like to thank you for your very positive evaluation of our central location and our Executive rooms.

At the same time I greatly appreciate your valuable comments regarding our Executive Lounge. Please allow me to assure you that our Lounge usually is a quiet place, perfect for a relaxing breakfast or an evening drink and I am truly sorry if that has negatively influenced your stay with us.

Further to your comments regarding the lacking gluten free food, I am truly sorry that we could not live up to your expectations. Please rest assured that your feedback does not stay unheard and that I have evaluated these incidents with the respective department heads as such occurrences in no way reflect the high service quality we wish to provide our guests.

Dear Guest, we highly value your opinion as our guest and I thank you sincerely for the time taken to share your comments with me. With your feedback you give us the chance to constantly review our services and to better adjust them to the needs of our guests.
I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Changed our hotel at the last minute and glad we did. This hotel is a great location for exploring the city. Very close to the CAT train station for the airport and also the underground / bus stops. Beautiful hotel - staff are excellent. Breakfast waitress remembered our drink request every morning which was a lovely personal touch for such a large hotel. Excellent choice for breakfast - waffles, omelettes and pancakes made to order.
Standard rooms and beds are a little small, but location more than makes up for this.

Room Tip: If you can afford it go for executive rooms as standard are a little small
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Karen M
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel for one night after a fantastic stay at the now defunct Radisson Blu Palais Hotel in Vienna (just across the park from the Hilton).
The Hilton is situated in a fantastic location in the heart of Vienna directly in front of the beautiful Stadtpark.

From the hotel it is only a short walk to the historical center. In terms of transportation this hotel could not be beaten. The hotel is located directly above a metro stop from where you can get anywhere in Vienna and it is directly above the terminal for the fantastic City Airport Train CAT. The distance from the CAT was a major draw-card when choosing a hotel in Vienna. This meant I could drop me bags off within minutes of leaving my room, check-in for my flight and head back to the hotel for a wonderful buffet breakfast and then jump on the quick airport train and be at the airport in about 15 minutes without having to carry my check-in luggage and wait in line for my boarding pass, all I had to do was walk straight to my boarding gate. That was the best airport experience of my life!

Location:
Fantastic in terms of transportation but not a good in terms of walking distance from sights.

Hotel Design/Feel and Ambiance:
The hotel is rather generic and plain which was a let down given the antiquity of the the city of Vienna. As soon as you enter the hotel it is like being in a little America, apart from the items on the menu there is nothing to remind you of where you are in the world. You could be inside any Hilton hotel in the world. There is absolutely nothing Austrian or Viennese at all. This really takes away from the experience of being in the beautiful city of Vienna. As for the same price I was able to stay at the Radisson Blu Palais that was a former place built in 1872. Although not as refined and comfortable as the Hilton I truly felt that I was in Vienna every second of my stay.
Having said that the hotel lobby is very nice with a fantastic restaurant and bar.

Check-In:
Check-in was pleasant but the staff weren't very competent or knowledgeable. I purchased a Hilton Advance Purchase Breakfast and Dinner Rate to which the check-in staff had no knowledge of this type of rate. I have purchased this rate at nearly every Hilton I stay at and never have any difficulty but the staff had know idea and I had to bring it to their attention after I had checked in and I had to wait for about 10 minutes for them to phone other staff members before being told what would be offered. On the plus side as a Hilton HHonors Gold Member my status was thoroughly recognized. I was given a Executive Room with Lounge Access and all the normal benefits plus a fantastic welcome food presentation in my room.

Room:
I stayed in a Executive City View Room. The rooms were a reasonable size and very functional with many power outlets in wise locations. The room also had a large desk and fast free Wi-Fi as a Gold member. The beds were also very comfortable and the view was very nice. But the furniture was a little cheap looking and plain.
The bathroom was also one of the smallest I have ever seen at a Hilton hotel, especially for an executive room. There was only a combined bath and shower. But the bathroom was very clean and the Peter Thomas Roth Amenities were great.

The Executive Lounge:
The executive lounge was fantastic. There was a great selection of food and the evening drinks were great. The lounge was a great size with very helpful staff. The view and ambiance were also special. The coffee was also very good. The only letdown was that the computers in the lounge were unusable as they were soo slow and old.

Buffet Breakfast:
The buffet breakfast at S'PARKS was to a very high standard there was absolutely nothing to fault. The setting was nice, the food and selection were good. The juice was fresh, the coffee was good and came quickly and there were plenty of staff on hand to clear plates.

Buffet Dinner:
As per my Breakfast Dinner Rate I chose the buffet over the la-carte menu. The buffet was good but nothing special. But the desserts were very good. The setting and ambiance were also very nice.

Although this was another Generic Hilton hotel, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at this hotel and would definitely return given my first choice is now gone. The location was fantastic, the lounge was great and the food and recognition of my status was very good as well. And given my inclusion of Breakfast and Dinner in my rate it would be hard to go past this hotel.

Room Tip: Corner Room
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank JDeNicolo

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this detailed review!

I was delighted to read that you overall enjoyed your stay and that you very much appreciated our location with the adjacent City Airport Train. I am also very grateful for your positive feedback on our Executive Lounge and the wide breakfast offer.

Coming back to your comments in regards to the Front Desk team however, I am truly sorry to hear that we could not entirely meet your expectations.
I fully agree that the entire handling of this matter did not reflect the service quality you may expect from us and I deeply regret the inconveniences and confusion caused. Kindly allow me to assure you that I have personally evaluated this matter with the respective department head in order to review our training standards and to avoid such re-occurrences in the future.

Dear Guest, thank you once again for your very valuable feedback. With this you give us the chance to constantly review our services and to better adjust them to our guests’ needs.
I truly hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

We recently stayed here for 2 nights traveling with a tour group. The hotel is lovely and centrally located to the metro, walking to other restaurants, and the plaza. The breakfast was included. It is a buffet. It was very good including fresh made waffles, and omelets made to order. I would recommend this hotel to people who are traveling to Vienna.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dianne24
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Bizarre hotel, you can not check in before 3pm and you find yourself double booked after 4pm, low quality service, arrogant managers, crap rooms for a 5 star hotel, simply try to avoid if you have an alternative

Room Tip: No nice rooms
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Ziya A
Hoteldirektor, Manager at Hilton Vienna, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to contact us also via Tripadvisor. We highly value your opinion as a loyal guest and I therefore sincerely thank you for sharing your feedback with me.

Referring to your comments regarding your reservation, please allow me to sincerely apologize for the hassle caused. I am truly sorry that you had to experience the described situation.

Further to your feedback please allow me to explain that, as mentioned on our e-mail confirmation, your reservation was on hold until 4pm on the day of arrival. Guests who wish to arrive later and guarantee the room for an arrival past 4pm are asked to provide a credit card.

Due to the hotel being fully booked on the day of your arrival and the high demand we experienced we had to release the non-guaranteed bookings for the day after 4pm. Unfortunately we had no information, or guarantee respectively, that your reservation should be a confirmed one and your room was therefore released as well.

Please be ensured, that we do see DHL as one of our flagship partners at the Hilton Vienna and I truly regret if you have received a different impression. For future reservations I would therefore like to offer you to contact our reservations manager in order to assist you with your booking and to avoid any misunderstandings.

Dear Guest, please allow me to reiterate my sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused. I would be more than delighted if you continued putting your trust and loyalty in Hilton and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Hilton Vienna soon.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

I traveled to Vienna last month with a friend and we booked this Hotel at the last minute because it was reasonably priced. We were so glad we made that decision and will definitely stay here again in the future. Rooms were nice, location was perfect and front desk staff was very friendly, especially Clarissa.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Sare A
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I absolutely loved this Hilton for my two-night stay. The staff was very nice and I had a great room with a cool view. I enjoyed the location right next to the subway station, so it was a very easy trip to the airport and back. The best thing was the executive lounge for Diamond members where I spent a lot of time in-between all the sightseeing.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank BigGFoodie1
Hoteldirektor, Manager at Hilton Vienna, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear Guest,

I was glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our services and facilities fully met your expectations. I am glad you also very much appreciated the great city views and our Executive Lounge.

Thank you once again for your important feedback and I very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Best regards from Vienna,