“Some aspects great...others less so.”

Imperial Riding School Renaissance Vienna Hotel
Ranked #124 of 359 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Check in was efficient and my room was ready despite my early arrival. The front desk always seemed slightly understaffed. The room, a corner one, was spacious as was the bathroom, the bed and pillows extremely comfortable and, unusually, I slept very well. Cleaning staff kept my facilities in tip-top condition. Sound-proofing was not as good as I would expect and so traffic was clearly audible from the room but did not stop me from having a good night's sleep. The lack of a proper bar was evident as the lobby doubled up as such...a hotel this size could do with somewhere nicer than the bistro, where smoking is permitted and thus is avoided by non-smokers such as most of us attending the conference. However, the service from a particularly hard-working server in the lobby bar was remarkable. Conference facilities were adequate although some rooms more board room size than presentation rooms. Breakfast was fresh and appetising; snacks served at break times excellent. The location is rather out of the way but the Belvedere Palace within an easy walking distance and a marvel (Klimt's The Kiss being a big attraction, my preference being the small but significant collection of impressionists' works and the formal gardens). One negative was the lack of any sign of luxury or style in the public space lavatories...they resembled school lavatories! The hotel appears to have great leisure facilities with an indoor pool and spa but I did not have a chance to sample them; I tried for a massage but it was fully booked before I had even arrived.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

We just return for our weekend in Vienna where my husband attended a meeting. The hotel is located a bit out of the center but with good public transport about 2 blocks away. So going into the center of Vienna wasn't a big issue. The issue I had was with the hotel personnel. The front desk were very distracted, like of didn't understand English or they simple didn't care, I couldn't figure it out in 3 days. When we travel we usually ask the front desk for recommendations in things to do in the area, sometimes even making some show or dinner reservations, I have to say that most hotels are happy to help you have the perfect stay so you can consider coming back to their place, business and customer service oriented hotels, these people seem to be even from a different town. When asked about ballet or opera shows they simple say "hmm all full due to convention in Vienna"... When asked for a couple of places to see they referred us to an independent tourist office to the back of the lobby. I understand that you can get more information by the tourism operator but not knowing basics about your city and showing a lack of interest when interacting with a customer is to me, simple disrespectful. Food was ok but expensive. They Viennese version of a veal scalloped was listed in the room service at 29€. Breakfast was good with plenty of items to choose from and eggs made to order. Room was EXTREMELY hot All The time. We contacted front desk at least twice a day during the 3 days we stayed, they finally send someone last night who was willing to help us and immediately removed a couple of screws that were precluding the window to open. I understand the safety reasons but I was having a respiratory issue sleeping in that heat. I will not come back to this place since there are more hotels closer to the city center where grandeur and sophistication goes hand in hand with great customer service. Perhaps will try The Ring or the Sacher. We ended up seeing the ballet and the opera. Those same shows the front desks told us we couldn't see.... Never told us you can go to the Opera house and find outside some two dozens guys selling tickets for the coming shows. Do you pay more? Yes...are you able to see what you want? Yes. Carpets and furniture are rundown in rooms and around hotel common areas. This was my first visit to Vienna and the hotel experience took a lot of the magic from it. Still love the architecture and ambiance of this marvelous city.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
A_Drobig, Guest Relations Manager at Imperial Riding School Renaissance Vienna Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Dear sir/madam,

First of all we would like to thank you for your visit at the Imperial Riding School Renaissance Vienna Hotel and for taking your time to share the experiences you gained with us on TripAdvisor.

We have become aware of the fact that you were faced with difficulties during your stay and therefore you were not able to enjoy your stay with us to the fullest. You were extremely disappointed by the behavior of the hotel personnel, especially the front desk. Furthermore was your room very hot during your whole stay.

On behalf of the entire team we would like to state our sincere apologies on all inconveniences caused. The service you received is definitely not the Renaissance way to take care of our guests as we want them to feel as much comfortable as possible with us. We therefore took your feedback seriously and shared your feedback with the entire team to avoid such mistakes and behavior in the future.

We do remain in the hope that you accept our apologies and that we are able to welcome you back to our hotel to persuade you of our friendliness and professionalism.

With best regards,

Alexandra Drobig

Reviewed 9 March 2014

Free upgrade on arrival, due to rewards level. Lounge area associated with it is expansive and varied. Room was clean, comfortable, and luxurious. One of the nicer upgraded rooms I've received. Cannot comment on normal facilities, as they tuck the high-spenders over in their separate quarters. Charge for wi-fi which is inexcusable in this day and age.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Lilike2001
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I WAS STOLLEN IN THIS HOTEL.i usually travel 4-5 times a year and usually take care when i amin shopping malls, underground stations, in crowded touristic areas.......BUT inside hotel resturant during breakfast ?????THIS happened to me in sunday 2nd of march 2014 where all cash money were stollen from my wallet from inside pocket of my jacket ,left credit cards for me, thanks god.I left to salzburg immediatley after breakfast where i discovered the rubbery.I did not get my wallet out as i paid nothing extra during check out.I phoned hotel from salzburg after noon and showed no inerest in my complaint.

Room Tip: Rooms on groung floor are good
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank heshamzaher1955
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We booked the hotel for our winter holiday, good staff at the check in and check out, our room was located in the executive club building, excellent, spacious and clean facilities.
With the club access you can enjoy the facility on the ground floor. Very helpful staff around the property.
Covered, heated swimming pool but small in size, good for my little girl, she was happy.
Advice not to drive in Vienna unless you are used to it.
Very close to local attractions.

Room Tip: Try to book the club building rooms, they might be a bit higher in price but it is worth it for the...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jack M
Reviewed 5 March 2014

The Imperial Riding school is a very imponet hotel with great staff and very good accomodations.
The beds are big and confortable, so is the room as a hole.
It is not that close to the old center but you can take a bus just in front of the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I recently concluded last February 15, 2014 a big charity dinner gala event called "A GIFT OF LOVE" that was held at the Pirouette Ballroom of this hotel. It was a two part musical production (best of broadway & classical repertoire) from our theater group, the Dulaang Pilipino Theater Guild that featured international artists; a presentation designed for the benefit of the ill fated victims of the catastrophic typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines. I salute the management & staff of this beautiful & historical hotel for having extended to us all the consideration, cooperation and goodness in making our event a success! My special thanks go to the hotel's FB Director, Mr. Ivany and their Event Coordinator, Miss Janusch. The ballroom with its modest size stage has been nicely decorated and the buffet dinner was sumptuous! The staff assigned to us were all competent and courteous. As the director of the show, I was already billeted in the hotel prior to the event and had to stay even afterwards to monitor the dismantling of our props. My room and those of my crew which are tastefully decorated and has very comfortable beds, were always kept impeccably neat. The buffet breakfast served until 11 am is extremely satisfying and offers a wide variety of choices. All in all, it has been a wonderful experience with the Imperial Riding School Renaissance Vienna Hotel and I definitely intend to hold more stage productions there in the future!

Room Tip: My team were billeted at the 4th floor for easy access to the ballroom.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business