“ok but not up to Renaisance standard”

Renaissance Wien Hotel
Ranked #72 of 359 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed 13 March 2014

The hotel rooms are dated and defintley do not live up to the "renaissance" name. The hall ways are also dim and the carpets are worn. If you are looking for a good location near the center of town this is not where you want to stay either. Although it is easily accessible by metro which is right across the street it is about 30 mins from Wien mitte. on the up side they are supposed to renovate the rooms this fall.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Evelyn H, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance Wien Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

Dear Mr. / Mrs. Miki G.

First of all we would like to thank you for your stay with us and your effort to give us feedback via tripadviser. We are very pleased to see that you were satisfied with the service, which is the first priority for us. Service makes the difference.

Regarding your comments about the Renaissance standard we would like to reconfirm that we have indeed good news and we will start complete renovation already this autumn. We are all looking forward to the new look and we certainly hope that we will get the chance to welcoming you on a future occasion to show you the stylish Renaissance Wien Hotel.

With kind regards from Vienna,

Reviewed 5 March 2014

The location of the hotel is pretty good if you are willing to take the U-Bahn a couple stops to get to the centre of Vienna, otherwise there is not much in the immediate area.

This hotel is in line with other Marriott and Renaissance hotels in terms of modernity, cleanliness, and quality.

I enjoyed swimming in the penthouse level pool.

The staff were friendly and knowledgable.

I would probably come back to this hotel next time I am in Vienna.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Looking at the outside, i was somewhat taken aback by the retro 80s style, but I shouldn't have worried. Yes, it needs a refurbishment BUT it's impeccably clean. Staff are friendly and helpful. We were initially given a twin room, but were moved to a king size without fuss or awkwardness.

We didn't breakfast at the hotel or eat in the restaurant, but we did nave a meal in the bar. Burger was good, pizza was ok. There's a turkish supermarket immediately outside which we used for soft drinks, biscuits, yoghurts etc and a nice pub on the opposite side of the road/river/railway tracks. Be warned, no tea and coffee facilities in your room, unlike UK hotels.

The hotel's immediately opposite an underground station on the U4 line, but also in walking distance of two others. I strongly suggest using buses and trams as well as the underground, especially if you're heading up to Schonbrunn, as you can get closer that way. Also, it's location, coupled with the car park, makes me think this could be a really good choice if you were driving.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Helen N
Reviewed 26 February 2014

The hotel although not in the centre of Vienna is a very easy 5 stops on 1 underground train into the centre. The hotel sell a 3 day pass that you can use for the train and tourist discounts so there is no need to even try and work out how the ticketing works.

Our room (with internet included) was on the inside of the hotel, so looking onto other rooms but it was very quiet. I thought breakfast was ok, my husband thought it was good. There are cold and hot buffet dishes and freshly made omelette.

There is a gym but it´s very small and I ended up making up for it by walking enough miles around the beautiful city.

My initial impressions of the hotel were that it was fine for a business conference (which is why we were staying there) but nothing special. I changed my mind about that after a few days because the service was as good as any hotel I´ve stayed at and was consistently high among all staff we dealt with.

Although this hotel is a bit out of the centre of Vienna it does provide very good value for money if you are willing to make the short but very easy trip on the underground....the station is literally across from the hotel.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

I have had a week at the Renaissance Hotel. It is not in the centre of Vienna. However, it is served by Vienna's excellent metro service. There is a station no more than 50 metres from the hotel and frequent trains. It is very easy to get into town.

The staff are superb. The airline lost my bag inbound. I give great credit to Daniel on reception who was shouting at the baggage company in German for me, before I shouted at them in English. (Next day, still no sign of it, eventually arriving after 10pm). All of the staff have been helpful. A colleague had problems with his door key and they didn't just ask him to come down and get a new one, they sent somebody up to fix it.

The room is comfortable and (at this time of year) nice and warm. The breakfast is great - a buffet selection along with a chef cooking egg-based items such as omelettes. And unlike another hotel where I stayed, this guy can actually cook so they were not burnt. If I am going to be really picky, the only electrical socket near the desk is underneath on the skirting board. So you have to scrabble around to plug in your laptop. But apart from that, no problems.

My company booked this. A good choice. When I come back to Vienna, I will stay here again. The room rates are cheaper than the central places on the ring. And I have paid the princely sum of 15 Euros for an all-week ticket to jump on and off the metro to get into town.

Excellent hotel - I recommend this place.

Room Tip: Opposite side to the railway if you are a light sleeper. You don't really hear it though.
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Second stay in this hotel, centrally located downtown Vienna. Clean rooms, breakfast is OK and service is good. Despite all old furniture and old fashioned hotel style, nice place to stay downtown Vienna.

1  Thank V_Dupont_BE
Reviewed 22 January 2014

included internet, breakfast (I cannot comment, as i didn't make it to breakfast :-) ), 24-hr gym, good service (e.g., they lent me an adapter for the european outlet).
it is right off the metro (like U4), but it does take about 20 mins from the center of town.

Room Tip: ask for a room that does NOT face the train tracks. i got a room with a warped window that lets in...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo