“Barely room for improvement” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Renaissance Wien Hotel

Renaissance Wien Hotel
Ranked #77 of 367 Hotels in Vienna
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Barely room for improvement”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

We were floored by the hospitality at this Renaissance. From the moment we arrived the desk staff made us feel welcome and appreciated. The rooms are nice but could use some upgrades like the TV. Breakfast was excellent with many choices and very fresh fruit.
The managers cocktail reception with gourmet snacks put a great topper on our stay.
Will certainly return.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank JediFox

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
KL, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

Just good. But not excellent. For the price I expected better.
-ve points:
- some of the house keeping staff really cant smile. Grumpy even. And none spoke english (at least the ones we encountered over a week's stay)
- old box type TVs. I thought we are living in the 21st century?
- english channels are all news. Other channels are all german speaking
+ve points:
- the porters are very welcoming and helpful. Well worth tipping
- bed is verrry comfy
- welcoming drink and dessert served in the rroom after arrival. Nice!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Bay Area
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Let me start by saying the front desk staff was great. This review has nothing to do with the staff because there is nothing they can do about an old property. When you walk into the wein lobby, it looks great as it's clearly been updated. When you go to your room that's when it all changes. The carpet in the halls are smelly and old. It smelled of urine to me in some areas. Upon entering the rooms the carpet is very dirty and everything looks very old, and not in a charming way. It actually looks like a cheap motel. On our way from schonbruun palace the cabby said oh that use to be a ramada inn and when he said that it all became clear to me. It really was not what you'd expect from a rennaissace hotel by Marriott. Bed was two twin or full beds put together so our little one rolled into the crack every nite. I imagine it's not comfy but he did sleep thru.

Breakfast was average. Your typical breakfast fare with a lot of choices. It's just breakfast what else is there to say?

The location is outside the center of the city but is literally one subway stop from schonbruun palace. Don't take a cab because some are crooks. We needed 3 cabs and two cabs cost 8 and 9 dollars, but the 3rd was charged 13.50. Wth? Subway is only 5 stops from karlzplatz where most of the sites are so I would highly recommend taking that instead of a cab.

Vienna was ok overall but I didn't love it. Don't think I'd go back like I would to Germany,

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Evelyn H, General Manager at Renaissance Wien Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear TripAdvisor bogeyinsf

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience in Vienna and our hotel. Also thank you for your kind comments about our Front desk people and our staff in general.

You are correct that the hotel is in need of a complete renovation which I am delighted to tell you will start at the end of this year. A sample room has been completed and I can assure you it will bring the hotel right on brand as a Renaissance.

Our team are doing their utmost to keep the hotel as clean as possible and I apologise if you felt the carpets were not up to standard. We do have a number of King rooms in the hotel, but we do run a high occupancy and occasionally we are not able to honour a request for a King room for this reason.

Our breakfast buffet has to cater to many nationalities and that is why we have an Asian corner, eggs cooked to order, selection of hot cooked items, smoked fish, cheeses, breads, fruits, cereals, yoghurts etc. and all special requests are dealt with as good as possible by our food & beverage team. We welcome any suggestions to improve this selection.

Our hotel is across the street from the subway and as you have pointed out only one stop to Schönbrunn Palace and five stops (10mins) from Karlsplatz (centre of the city). Therefore the hotel is actually in a good location. I am truly sorry that your experience in the Renaissance Vienna did not meet your expectations and I have noted you do not intend to return to the city, which is disappointing as we would be delighted to show you our new hotel next year.

Thank you again for your feedback, which I will share with the hotel team.

Yours sincerely,

Paul A. Downing
Acting General Manager
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

Booked this hotel as part of a BA package and having never stayed in a Marriott/Renaissance hotel had fairly high expectations.

Firstly and above everything, the staff in the hotel are amazing. They really display five star service, from the front desk to the doorman. Ian in the bar is a particular asset. Very attentive, knowledgeable and willing to help with anything. Also were not pushy, which I liked, happy to offer local restaurants rather than push the hotels option, which I felt was very good of them.

Had room at back of hotel (I'd request this if possible, front of hotel fairly noisy). Good size room with plenty of wardrobe and hanging space. Beds were comfy though the duvet cover was weirdly noisy and rustly when turning over at night. The actual quality was high though.
Bathroom had all amenities though the shower had a tendency to leak on the floor after being used for too long (15 mins).
Room was very warm and window (like all hotels generally) didn't open very far. The room did have air conditioning which was very efficient but personally it was too noisy to have on at night.

Breakfast had lots of choice (and catered for all cuisines) and was regularly topped up and hot.
The bar in the hotel was good with really well priced food, especially for a hotel of this chain and size. Didn't feel like I'd been ripped off in the slightest which makes a lovely change!
Pool in the hotel was good albeit a little chilly!! Nice sauna and steam room too.

Location of the hotel was excellent, with two U-Bahns about 3 mins away which would take you into the centre within 7 or so mins. Also lots of buses and trams extremely near which offered a nice alternative to the underground.

Hotel is predominantly used by those on business but I came with my mum and thoroughly enjoyed it. Hotel very clean and good amenities throughout. Would thoroughly recommend to anyone and felt it offered good value for money in a capital city.

Room Tip: Ask for one at the back of the hotel- much much quieter.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

My wife and I visited Vienna in June and and stayed at the Renaissance Hotel.
On arrival we were met by a very helpful Bellhop who brought our cases to reception.The young lady at reception was charming with perfect English and a great sense of humour.We were checked in promptly and went to our room.Room service arrived and presented us with Robes and slippers and checked if we were happy with our room.
We decided to dine in the hotel that night and the food was excellent.The service was top class and the Waiter most helpful and courteous.We decided to dine there for the duration of our visit (4 days) and we were not disappointed .
The Bar was comfortable but the prices were fairly expensive.
The Concierge was a fountain of information with excellent general knowledge and local advice.
The location is very good and only 5 stops from the centre of Vienna on the Underground which is located across the road from the Hotel.
The staff in this Hotel are most friendly and helpful and are a major asset to the hotel (you know what some companies say that their staff is their major asset,well in this case it is very true)
The acid test is will we return? Most definitely to beautiful Vienna and the Renaissance Hotel.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked an internal garden and was fine
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank kevin m
Santiago de los Caballeros, Dominican Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

This marvelous hotel is just one metro stop to Schönbrunn Palace, and 10 min Vienna center . Good service and nice employees .
Nice breakfast and big selection.
Toiletry of good quality and perfect room services.
The check in and check out ,was easy .

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Lynchburg
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

Sent out a request today for a top floor room, garden view with noon check-in for a reservation made many months ago. Reservation is over two months away. Got an email stating they could not confirm any of my requests, even for a Gold Member. I made a mistake paying and booking ahead on a confirmed reservation. I would cancel if I could get my money back. This is not what I deem to be good customer service. Gold members should not have to beg to be treated well.

I will report back how we were treated.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Evelyn H, General Manager at Renaissance Wien Hotel, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Mr. Brandsberg
My guest relations Executive Ms. Evelyn Harton has brought to my attention your requests
during your stay on 25th August 2014.
I have made note of your requirements and can guarantee you a King bed with garden
View and we will do our utmost to have it on a high floor.
As you wish to check in by 12 noon we may not be able to upgrade you at this time as we
have limited rooms in this category. We would like to recognize your loyalty by upgrading
you to one of our Club Rooms on a higher floor and we will do are best to accomplish this
within the time you have given us.
We understand you would like to check in by 12 noon and we have made this a priority
and as soon as a room is available with your specification we will offer it to you.
Thanking you again for your business and please don’t hesitate to contact me during your
stay if I can be of any further assistance.
Yours sincerely,