“This hotel is showing its age.”

Vienna Marriott Hotel
Ranked #82 of 362 Hotels in Vienna
“This hotel is showing its age.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

I debate on giving this hotel 3 stars instead of 2, but really for this class hotel, it's pretty run down.

The lobby is nice and well appointed and the staff are very friendly, which is great. I arrived a bit early and my room wasn't ready. They took my mobile number and said they'd call when it was ready. After waiting around for several hours, I never recieved call... so I stopped back by the desk and asked when my room would be ready... they said it was ready. Thanks for the call! Not like I had been traveling all day and wanted to put my luggage away or anything!

From there, things kind of went down hill. The carpet is looking a bit worn throughout the hotel, it's obviously seen better days. Upon entering the room, it's clearly aging, but not unreasonably so. Nothing is broken or chipped or anything like that, but the fixtures and decorations are clearly from a different era and not in a good way. Then there's the thin walls... lets talk about that.

I can hear everyone moving up and down the hallway, stomp stomp stomp! The door has a giant blade of light under it when the lights are off (no wonder I can hear everything!) which lights up the room at night. I mentioned the thin walls... as I write this, I am listening to the guy (presumably a guy, because I don't want to meet a woman that can make a sound like that) in the next room snore away. Yes, I can hear someone in the next room snoring, that's how thin these walls are. I can hear people talking above me as well.

For the price of this hotel, and the fact that it's a Marriott, I expected a lot better. I usually stay in Starwood hotels and never really have a problem, so maybe I'm just used to higher quality hotels, but I remember Marriotts being much better quality than this... Staying in another Marriott in Hong Kong next month, so we'll compare the two and see how they fare.

As it goes, though, I would definitely not recommend this hotel unless you get a fantastic deal on the price.

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Josh Z
Vienna_Marriott, Guest Relations Manager at Vienna Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Josh,
We very much appreciate the time you have taken to rate our hotel. You are a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience.
You indicated in your response that especially the condition of your room was unsatisfactory. Please accept our apologies if we did not fully meet your expectations this time. We are happy to inform you that after our remake of our new Lobby, Cafe and Restaurant we already have scheduled a total refurbishment of our rooms including bathrooms in 2015. For further questions, please don't hesitate to contact us directly.
We are looking forward to welcoming you soon again in our hotel during your next trip to Vienna.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

Okay, we look out my window and there is the Stadtpark in front of me. We walk out the front after the staff at the front desk spends time with me on directions and things to do and after we book our train to Prague a few days in advance. The ticket can be bought right in the hotel. Then we walk a few meters to the metro, but usually walk because the hotel is near everything. So close, you can be at most attractions and actually walk back to freshen up. Reasonable price, good breakfast. Did we miss anything? If so, don't worry, the Vienna Marriott takes care of it.

Room Tip: Get an overlook of the park
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

For this review I will simply list my pro and con points:

Pros:

- The hotel is well located just on the ring.

- The room is spacious with very very comfortable beds

- Most of the staff specially in the executive lounge is kind and professional

- Executive lounge for business travelers as myself is great

Cons:

- Be aware of few staff members, specially the witch from the reception. You will understand what I mean it when you see her and her broom ...

- It is possible to eat breakfast in the room, but it costs money 3.5 Euro per person. Other hotels, like Sofitel for example, offer it for free. This is really outrageous and I call all future Marriott guests to protest against it. If you are two people, you have to pay 7 Euro. I always give tip, so in this case it would be a total 10 Euro. Come on Marriott your breakfast isn't worth it, not to mention that if I eat in the room I save you dishes, seat and manpower to serve me, so why try to charge more for something already paid for?

I don't mind about the breakfast, for me a pastry and a coffee will do, it's a matter of principle. That is why I call upon all future guests to ask about the breakfast in the room and when you hear the charge, protest against it. Maybe this will make the hotel management realize they should stop this stealing, yes that's the word stealing.

That's all. I might have to go again to Marriott toward the end of the summer or go to Sofitel. If I have any new tips I will add a new review.

Bon Voyage !

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank 60763Eric
Budapest, Hungary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

We had a very nice stay here at Marriot. There are many places to visit just near by for a good meal in the evening. Our Breakfast selection was varied and very nice on first day but when we went down a later on the second morning the selection was looking tired.
Comfortable rooms and all staff spoke various languages as my wife mother speaks no German or English, she found someone who speaks Hungarian a little and she was very happy...A BONUS! Thank you a very nice stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Gregor O
Maplewood
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

First time here in Vienna for my wife and I. We were very impressed with the hotel, staff and location. Our room faced the city park so we had a wonderful view. Very quiet and comfortable. Many sites were within close walking distance, For those who want a large cup of coffee there is a Starbucks a few blocks away!! We also had access to the executive lounge which was very good and convenient. Very expensive to eat and drink in this beautiful city.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Augusta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Husband and I spent 4 nights here at the end of a two week anniversary trip. We weren't sure what to expect as reviews are fairly mediocre, but it turned out to be a fantastic choice. As Marriott Platinum members, we received a complimentary room upgrade to the 7th floor with executive floor privileges. Our room was #706-a nice spacious king bed room with large windows overlooking the Stadtpark where the famous gold statue of composer Johann Strauss can be found. The view was lovely and the room was very clean and comfortable with an easy chair, ottoman, desk/chair, plenty of storage, nice tv with a few English speaking channels, mini bar, tea kettle/teas and ice bucket(ice machines on each floor). The bedding was clean and soft, mattress really comfy and plenty of pillow types to choose from. We slept very well, never hearing other guests during the day or night(not even any slamming doors)! The bathroom had a tub/shower combo, was very clean with decent lighting and nice vanity space. Full length mirror outside the bathroom was handy and also, large closets with shelves, in room safe and complimentary robes. AC with individual thermostat was nice although windows do open.

This hotel has everything you could want, even a car rental desk(Hertz), ATM in the lobby, shoe shine, etc. The location was great for us-we walked everywhere to see the sights. There is even an apothecary down the street if needed. We always felt safe in this area, even at night while walking back to the hotel. It is a beautiful area of Vienna.

We ordered room service two of our four nights as hubby had a cold and wasn't feeling well. The food was surprisingly good, portions large and service was fast. The Viennese potato soup was my favorite-they were even kind enough to print the recipe out for me!

We were very thankful for the use of the executive floor. The breakfasts were much more intimate and quiet, the selection was great, food delicious and service the best. We also made use of the privileges during the day with unlimited cold and hot drinks, desserts/snacks and especially fresh fruit. It was a wonderful benefit to have!

All staff that we encountered during our stay were friendly, from housekeeping to the room service waiter and even the nightly turn down service lady. The desk employees were unfailingly polite but professional. They were a big help to us with directions, maps and advice. We highly recommend the Vienna Marriott Hotel, hope to be back to stay with them again in the future and appreciate all they did to make our stay an enjoyable and memorable one!

Room Tip: Room 706 was very comfortable, spacious & quiet with a beautiful view of the park. Has a king b...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stinkytoes10
Springfield - Delaware County, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

Vienna is one of the most magical cities in the world, and this location is perfect as a home base to walk to see the Lippenzanner Stallions & St Stephens Cathedral, and then sip a Cafe Mozart at one of the outdoor cafes Trotsky himself may have planned the revolution!
We loved walking to and from the Jewish quarter and pedestrian shopping district from the hotel.
Incredibly accommodating staff too!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends