“Aged hotel”

Vienna Marriott Hotel
Ranked #60 of 358 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Stayed for two nights, well located for sight seeing in Vienna. Aged hotel, no free wifi access in rooms, and rooms definitely in need of refurbishing. Staff generally helpful, breakfast was adequate but nothing special. Wouldn't choose to stay again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Vienna_Marriott, Front Office Manager at Vienna Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

Dear valued guest!
We very much appreciate the time you have taken to rate our hotel. You are a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience.
You indicated in your response that the condition of your room was unsatisfactory. Please accept our apologies if we did not fully meet your expectations this time. We are happy to inform you that after our remake of our new Lobby, Cafe and Restaurant we already have scheduled a total refurbishment of our rooms including bathrooms in 2015. For further questions, please don't hesitate to contact us anytime. We are looking forward to welcoming you soon again in our hotel during your next trip to Vienna.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,884)

Reviewed 25 July 2014

This is one of the few hotels in Vienna (maybe Europe) where a family of four can stay in a standard room. The hotel and rooms look like any Marriott. Service personnel were nice, but not exceptionally helpful. We had to hail our own cab on departure. Check out took the agent 20 minutes - not sure why he had so much trouble. We stayed on the Executive level - having the breakfast and snacks available was very helpful. We had the option of bigger breakfast downstairs/lighter breakfast upstairs - the offerings at each place were sufficient. The young lady attendant in the Executive lounge was exceptional. The lounge was very crowded during meals and was a mix of personalities. The hotel is well situated for sight-seeing and restaurants. We used the CAT from and to the airport. My husband opted for a cab to the CAT on the return - I walked with my wheeled luggage, no problem. A note on the luggage check in at the CAT (which is very convenient) - only baggage for certain airlines can be checked in at the City terminal (Austrian Air for sure "yes" - see the website for others). Overall - this Marriott could be anywhere. The arrangement was suitable for our family. The executive level was worth spending the "points," for us, but not necessarily the type of lounge we have experienced with other hotel brands.

Room Tip: Executive level was convenient - wifi available everywhere.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Vienna_Marriott, Front Office Manager at Vienna Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Dear valued guest,
thank you for providing feedback on your stay at our hotel. Your opinion is very important to us! We regret that your stay with us did not fully meet your expectations and we would like to apologize for any inconveniences.
Nevertheless we sincerely hope to welcoming you back at the Vienna Marriott someday when your travel brings you to Vienna.
Kind regards, Vienna Marriott Hotel Team

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Loved the location! Could walk to so many things and close to a metro stop. The staff was friendly at check-in and helpful with directions and maps. Only complaint was the restaurant. We ate breakfast there one morning and it was very expensive for not very good quality of food. Wifi was only free in the lobby.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Claire41090
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Located with a tram line at the front door, or across the street. Short walk to the main streets and Vienna Opera House. Two blocks to the subway entrance. Excellent accommodations, maid service attentive. Breakfast buffet was ample and the maitre'd makes you feel welcome. Concierge was helpful in recommendations and arranging tours, dinner reservations. We had a five day stay at this hotel and would definitely return. As a platinum member, the concierge lounge provided a comfortable meeting location for friends.

Room Tip: If you are gold or platinum, the 8th floor is close to the concierge lounge. Buffet breakfast is on...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank brobuzz88
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I have enjoyed a stay with my wife and young daughter at the Marriott. Our stay was in general nice and comfortable and have some positive experiences. Yet staying in high standards hotel chains we were a bit surprised and disappointed on a few points.

Let's be positive and start with the good:

1- Location (Walking access to Opera, downtown, plenty of very nice restaurants just in the neighbourhood, a nice park in front of the hotel)
2- Rooms very comfortable and spacious.
3- The Bed is absolutely divine and that is for me the most I look for in a hotel.
4- The service in general was very nice
5- Nice facilities (indoor swimming pool, fitness centre etc.)
6- Nice breakfast and important to note, the hotel has their own honey coming from the top of the hotel. That is quite unique and a nice feature. It also tasted great.

Less Positive points

1- A coffee cup placed in our room for complementary coffee or tea was not properly washed and had residues of coffee or tea on it. Luckily we also had paper cups for take away so I never bothered to do anything.

2- Breakfast: First day we ordered coffee and chocolate fro may daughter. Our order was forgotten and after reminder we did get it. The person was very sorry and that is fine. At the buffet, there was no bowls for serving the cereals. I have seen customer taking cereals in a normal plate (impressive). I have asked 3 times while at the buffet for the bowls. It took quite some time to have them and everyone seemed so busy. Even if it is a buffet, staff should pay more attention to customers needs, than just searching at cleaning tables to make space for other customers. That is valid for both incidents. The other days went much better so it was probably that first day.

3- Fitness / swimming pool : We really enjoyed to go with our daughter for the pool. The requirement which is pretty normal and that I follow blindly is to take a shower prior entering the pool. So I enter the men's change room. To my surprise there is one shower and 50 lockers ! A guest of the fitness was occupying the shower for quite long time (more than 20 minutes). I was patient, as I was on holidays and not running to a business dinner or meeting. I let the Marriott Management to think if one shower for 50 lockers is enough as when I came back there were 5-6 guests in the changing room. So I decided t take my shower up in my room instead.

4- Rooms: I was also surprised that there was no bathrobes available in the room and that we had to contact the hotel for them. Sorry Marriott, this is not something to ask for, not in your hotel category.

5- Vienna in the summer is nice and warm. Many cafés, terraces, restaurants with outdoor sitting. Plenty around the Marriott. Besides breakfast, we never wanted to have nor lunch or dinner in the hotel as it was dark and not inspiring on these beautiful summer days. So if you think to have an afternoon drink on your hotel terrace followed by a dinner... forget it you will need to go elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Vince1969
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

The receptionist was vert rude, room looked like a 2 star hotel with the AC not working . We complained about it and we asked for a change of room , the answer was "all AC will only work after 6 hours of check in " ,, Never go there it ain't worth it .

Stayed: July 2014
Vienna_Marriott, Front Office Manager at Vienna Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2014

Dear valued guest!
Thank you for your recent stay with us and for the time you have taken to share your experience. We regret that your stay with us did not fully meet your expectations and we would like to apologize for any inconveniences.
We will share your valuable feedback with our Management Team and we will do our best to improve on the service that you mentioned.
Again, thank you for the feedback as we take guest satisfaction seriously. We hope to see you again soon.
Kind regards, Vienna Marriott Hotel Team

Reviewed 18 July 2014

If you have picked Marriott only because of its big brand name, you're gonna get disappointed. The first day I arrived in the hotel I noticed that the plug inside the bathroom didn't work. It took 2 days for them to send someone to just take a look at that! They didn't fix it though and instead sent me a razor to shave!! I had to go to the reception desk for the 4th time to ask for help.. and ...this time they sent me an extension cable to get electricity from a plug outside the bathroom!! The services are also far from expectation. After all, it is Marriott and you don't expect, for instance, that the plates of breakfast stuffs remains empty for some time until you tell the folks to refill them. Likewise, you get simply puzzled when you are served a pot of almost cold or lukewarm water for the tea at your breakfast! The staffs are very respectful, it is fair to say. But the hotel seems to be badly understaffed and that's perhaps why services are not as it should be.
Also be careful when you want to take a shower. Don't get surprised if the tap water get cold early morning. It happened to me a few times.
In short, it is really not worth the money you've got to pay for this apparently brand name.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business