“A good hotel with a great location!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Motel One Wien Westbahnhof

Motel One Wien Westbahnhof
Ranked #79 of 367 Hotels in Vienna
Limassol, Cyprus
“A good hotel with a great location!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

A new stylish hotel with very poor facilities. It's locate near Westbahnhof Station, (train and metro). The breakfast was ok but nothing special.
No telephone at the rooms,the only way to communicate with hotel staff is to queue at reception, no mini bar and soap for hands, The rooms are quiet with double facing windows.
The staff was friendly but they don't give you any information or help about the sights or tour in Vienna.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Seleari M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Johannesburg, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2012

I was bitterly disappointed with this hotel – and deeply grateful we were only spending one night there. Yes it is extremely elegant. I take design much too seriously, and there's no faulting the design at this hotel. But the unpleasant discoveries start soon after check-in (which itself took more than 20 minutes, thank to the hordes of other people queuing at the check-in desk. We'd soon find out why).

It was a boiling late-September day in Vienna. When we got to the room – which was even hotter than the street outside – we went straight for the air con. Except that it didn't work. I wanted to phone reception to report this problem, but there's no phone in the room! So back down to reception, where there was another 20-minute queue. Not everyone is checking in, you see. The only way to communicate with hotel staff is to queue at reception.

When I got to the front, I was told that there isn't actually a problem with my room's air con. The previous week was quite cold, you see, so the air con now only works for heating. If I switch it to 25C, it will start working. But I don't want the room to be 25C, I said. I want it to be cold. Well that just can't happen. The entire building's air con is now set to heating mode, and it will be like that until March or April, at which point it will be set to cold again. (What happens if you visit Vienna in spring during a late cold snap? You'll have no heating, that's what.)

And then the person at reception actually suggested that, to cool down the room, I sleep with the window open. Really? You mean the window that looks out on four lanes of traffic, a massive tram stop and all of Vienna West railway station? That's guaranteed to give me a great night's sleep! (I did open the window to check. I will say that its soundproofing is truly excellent.)

We had breakfast, which was €7.50 and included "free" wi-fi. Like the rest of the hotel, the breakfast area was incredibly stylish, but overrun with people (with whom you have to share a table). It felt a bit like having breakfast on the Starship Enterprise – and not in a good way.

The large billboard outside the hotel (and the website) advertises rooms from €69 a night. We paid €159 because there was a conference in town. (A useful policy for the hotel: this is Vienna, where there is almost always a conference in town.) Had we paid just €69 for the room, I might have gritted my teeth and figured you get what you pay for. But if you pay €159, I'd like some air con, please, and a telephone, so I can phone the hotel when there's a problem.

Avoid avoid avoid.

Room Tip: If it's the middle of summer or winter, a street view would be nice. If it's spring or autum...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ThereGoesDeon
Rozelle, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2012

I stayed at this hotel for two nights after flying a long haul flight from Australia. The room was comfortable for one person but would be slightly over-cosy for two people. The bathroom was well-equipped. I stayed on the 5th level which was relatively quiet from street noise. The rooms were a little hot, as were the hallways. I did not have breakfast at the hotel so cannot comment on the quality of food. I do note they do not have a restaurant operating in the evening. The hotel is conveniently located at Westbanhof train station where you can board regional trains (although not to Slovakia which I needed). There is also an underground and tram stop across the road. The aiport bus has the second of its stops just outside the hotel which is very convenient. I would recommend this hotel, although they did allow pets in at least the lobby area of the hotel which is a bit of a turn off for me (not sure if they were permitted in rooms).

Room Tip: The higher floors are better
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank sydcarnie
Vienna
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2012

Bed was very comfortable, room was tiny, I had to ask for a change as was not as requested/booked. Reception staff were fairly indifferent to questions and issues.

Overall if you get it cheap ie less than 80/90€, its fine. I paid 150 and its DEFINITELY not worth that at all.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Mark O
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2012 via mobile

Motel I is a very tidy, functional hotel and serves the purpose of protecting peple from the elements for a couple of nights very well. However if you, as many of us are these days, heavily reliant on the Internet then you are in for a shock. Their system is completely and utterly useless. It is reliant on reception handing scraps of paper with codes and numbers that either don't work at all or at best work showing no more than 1 bar, so you spend 10 minutes trying to retrieve one email. I tried signing on with yet another scrap of paper with codes, in the lobby and spent half an hour tearing what little hair I have left out in frustration and in the end gave up. I went back to the reception and complained and the pleasant man behind the counter announced, "I will fix it now, mein Herr!" at which he started tapping furiously on his keyboard at a rate that looked like he was entering a pile of launch codes in to organise a landing on Mars! Finally wiping the sweat from his brow, he proudly handed me anther scrap of paper and said, "THIS IS THE NEW CODES HAVE A NICE DAY!!" So I went back to the bar and said to my wife, "Sorted, dear!" to which she dryily observed, "Yeah right, I'll believe that when I see it!" and guess, what SHE WAS RIGHT!!! I spent another half an NOT GETTING ON LINE and just decided to go in to Vienna centre to the fabulous "Cafe Central", and stuff myself with cakes and where they have a perfectly, fast internet connection that just WORKS!!!

Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank pcgrowler
Kronberg im Taunus, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2012

This was our second stay in the Motel One in Vienna and our positive experience with Motel One has been reconfirmed. The rooms are small, but stylish and well equipped, the service is very friendly. We had buffet breakfast at the hotel which was very good and which is really cheap. The location of the hotel is excellent with only a few steps to the subway which will bring you right to the center of the city in less than 10 minutes. In summary, Motel One is perfect for short stays.

Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2012

Great welcome on arrival by express bus from airport. Euro8 one way, Euro 13 both ways.
I was afforded choice of room. Bus goes to within 100 yards of door of hotel, which is directly alongside the huge West Station with all its shopping facilities together with two U-bahn lines(high speed underground) and various modern surface tram lines. It is so easy to get from this hotel to anywhere in Vienna in very quick time. Absolutely ideal situation for everything. Transport costs are very reasonable indeed and can be bought in units of one trip to unlimited 72 hour pass for all modes of transport for about Euros 24. The hotel is new and modern, and had it provided more than very basic toilet requisites together with a telephone in the room I would give it full marks. Tea making facilities would be an additional advantage. I went to a shop in the station and bought a small electric element for Euros 10. Sound advice.
I feel that these comments are very necessary as the deficiencies are very noticeable and worthy of comment. In English it is a ship tarnished for the want of a small amount of tar. A few Euros would make all the difference.
Breakfast at Euros 7.50 is good value. In general, I was very happy with this hotel, and consider it to be great value. I paid Euro 69 per night as a solo guest. I will most certainly stay again when I go back to that wonderful city in the future. Thanks to all the staff.

Room Tip: Request a room not facing the main station square and Mariahilferstrasse. If you are impeded request...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo